[net.games.frp] Role Playing Games

phoenix@genat.UUCP (phoenix) (02/23/86)

In article <206@ulowell.UUCP> dobro@ulowell.UUCP (Chet Dobro) writes:
>>>Anybody out there interested in the Marvel Super Heroes game or the
>>>DC Heroes game?
>>

>One onther game to consider: Champions.
>
>Another SHRPG (SuperHero Role Playing Game) is: Villians and Vigilantees

>						Gryphon

There is also "Champions"'s sister game, called something like "Golden
Age of Champions", which deals with the less ultra-high-powered heroes
of the '40's.  I am uncertain whether Hero Games has released it yet,
but my fiance played-tested it at a north-eastern US sf-con a while ago.
The illustrations are by the fan-artist, Chris Cloutier.

--
					The Phoenix
					(Neither Bright, Dark, nor Young)

---"A man should live forever...or die trying."
---"There is no substitute for good manners...except fast reflexes."

jagardner@watmath.UUCP (Jim Gardner) (02/25/86)

In article <2560@genat.UUCP> phoenix@genat.UUCP () writes:

>>One onther game to consider: Champions.
>>
>>Another SHRPG (SuperHero Role Playing Game) is: Villians and Vigilantees
>
>There is also "Champions"'s sister game, called something like "Golden
>Age of Champions", which deals with the less ultra-high-powered heroes
>of the '40's.  I am uncertain whether Hero Games has released it yet,
>but my fiance played-tested it at a north-eastern US sf-con a while ago.
>--
>					The Phoenix

The Golden Age of Champions is available, but it is not from Hero
Games.  I wish I could tell you the company that produces it, but
I don't have my copy handy.  The book may be of interest even to
those who aren't interested in role-playing, because it has a substantial
amount of source material on the late 30's/early 40's and the nature
of the world as displayed in comic books.  For example, many of the
American superheroes of the time spent 1939-1941 fighting provocateurs
who wanted to draw the U.S. into the war.  They couldn't fight Nazis,
because the U.S. was very scrupulously trying to avoid treating
Germany as an enemy; therefore, they fought British/French/Canadian
supervillains who wanted the U.S. to get involved.  A strange time...at
least if "The Golden Age" book can be believed.

As an aside, I would encourage superhero comic fans to go out and buy
the Champions game, just to see a consistent world model for superheroes
and superpowers.  It gives you a whole new perspective on comic book
conventions and cliches to see the genre captured so systematically.
It can help clarify why some comic book characters seem so hackneyed
(even when brand new), and why some seem to break existing molds.
Something to check out...

			Jim Gardner, University of Waterloo