[net.games.frp] Time-frame/System mixing, was Re: Super Hero Role Playing Games

cs111olg@ucla-cs.UUCP (03/07/86)

I have been looking forward to a possible compaign that mixes systems
and frameworks for quite a while and have a few scenario ideas for that:

1)	FRPG meets Danger International / 007 Spy System
		Dimentional Gate zaps you into a Hi-Tech world of 1980's
		You have to get back to your world while powerful spy
		groups (and possibly The Mob) are trying to get something
		you have away from you.
2)	SFRPG meets FRPG
		Your ship (crash-)lands on a unknown planet. The inhabitants
		have the use of magic, you have your blast rifles....
3)	DI meets SHRPG or SFRPG or FRPG
		Your team is assigned to follow up on a series of mysterious
		<somethings> and you find that you are facing <super powered
		mutants/aliens from outer space/powerful magic of .....>
4)	FRPG meets <SHRPG mixed with Toon/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles>
		How come those goblins move SO FAST, fly, wear funny costumes,
		punch SO HARD and fire Disintegration Rays at you?!
		Meet.... The Goblin Defenders!
5)	DI or FRPG or SHRPG or SFRPG meet....(drum roll)....
			Cthulhu (gasps, then stunned silence)
		Yes, yet ANOTHER bunch of suicidal/homicidal maniacs has
		decided to tempt fate and bring a dreaded Elder God back...
		You are going to die stopping them... or just die!

Actually, I would greatly appreciate some accounts of REAL games run in a
cross-system environments by competent GMs with co-operating players....
--
DISCLAMER: The opinions expressed above are not affiliated with UCLA.
+---------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
+---------------------------------------+ ...{ WORLD }!ucla-cs!oac6.oleg

jagardner@watmath.UUCP (Jim Gardner) (03/11/86)

In article <9692@ucla-cs.ARPA> cs111olg@ucla-cs.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev (the student incarnation)) writes:
>I have been looking forward to a possible compaign that mixes systems
>and frameworks for quite a while and have a few scenario ideas for that:
>  ....Other stuff....
>Actually, I would greatly appreciate some accounts of REAL games run in a
>cross-system environments by competent GMs with co-operating players....

Okay, a thumbnail sketch of our most recent cross-over.

Our group runs in several different campaigns. Essentially, each
person in the group is GM for one campaign; we meet weekly, and alternate.
Usually one or two of the campaigns are in hiatus because the GM is
too busy to get something together, but anyway...

The campaigns:
    One Justice Inc. campaign that takes place in the year 2059,
    post-economic collapse.

    One Fantasy Hero campaign taking place in Harn (classic medieval
    setting).

    Two Champions campaigns taking place in modern day (mostly local
    environments).

    A Danger International campaign that hops through dimensions via
    naturally occurring "gates" (somewhat based on Farmer's "World of
    Tiers").

We established the following basic plot:
    In the year 2059, a mad scientist type would create a machine
    that could punch out artificial gates between dimensions.  The
    JI heroes would follow the mad scientist through such a gate (either
    accidentally or intentionally).  They would reach the Fantasy
    Hero world.  From that point onward, they would pop from gate
    to gate in an attempt to get back to their own time and place.
    If they captured the mad scientist, they would attempt to use
    his machine (which he had with him) to get back; if they didn't,
    they would eventually find a gate he had made and go on to the
    next world.  They would hit the Champions campaigns after the
    Fantasy Hero one.  The characters from the Danger International
    campaign could be used as needed, since they understood gate
    travel.  Also a number of stock villains from the Danger
    International campaign were free to appear, because they would
    naturally be eager to have the ability to make artificial gates
    instead of being restricted to natural ones.  The whole thing
    would end up with the 2059 characters returning home and mopping
    up anything that needed it.

    GMs were free to do anything within that framework.  We spent
    about two four-hour sessions in each locale.  The GMs also
    discussed what kind of adventures they were going to conduct
    in very general terms, so that each section would have a
    different feel.  (Example: One GM said, "I'm going to play it
    for laughs."  Another said, "I'm going for a big Dante's
    Inferno thing.")

That's the basic set up.  If enough people want details of the actual
adventures, I'll post them.

			Jim Gardner, University of Waterloo