[net.games.frp] Tekumel

lflgames@well.UUCP (Lucasfilm Games Division) (03/19/86)

In article <334@umcp-cs.UUCP>, tewok@umcp-cs.UUCP (Wayne Morrison) writes:
> Could someone/anyone give me any info on the two Tekumel games, please?
> They are called "Empire of the Petal Throne" and "Swords and Glory".
> I have read and enjoyed the books the game's author wrote.  I was wondering
> whether the games were worth having or if they were just D&D clones.
> Thanks for your help!
>

> Wayne Morrison
> Parallel Computation Lab
> University of Maryland
> (301)454-7690
>
> ARPA: tewok@brillig
> UUCP: seismo!umcp-cs!tewok

	I played EPT (which incidentally predates the Early Pregnancy Test)
back in 1975 when it had just come out.  I had a wonderful time as the
world is delightfully alien - much more so than the D+D hodgepodge of every
mythology and fairy story in existence.  It also has a fairly reasonable
basis for blending technology (albeit often defective) with magic.
Unfortunately, the game system was very primitive and both combat and magic
were pretty awkward.  The referee I played with just improvised his own,
and that worked quite well.  I'd personally recommend using Dragonquest
rules, but as that's a defunct system it's probably not a great idea.

	The new Swords and Glory books have immensely more detail about
Tekumel, and a completely new and apparently no more workable game system.
I haven't played it (been waiting for the third book to come out) but I
still heartily recommend the games as background material for a campaign.
I still remember being hunted by a pair of Serudla, and the horror of
realizing I had forgot to check the ceiling of a room as the mantle-like
Biridlu settled about the shoulders of my character...

					Noah Falstein