[net.games.frp] TSR &co

wex@milano.UUCP (03/18/86)

In all this talk about TSR killing SPI and not releasing DragonQuest I got to
wondering:

There is a line of (very good) FRP supplements put out by a company calling
itself Role Aids (yes, that's how they spell it!).  I have a couple of their
books and have seen several more.  All the back cover blurbs say that their
stuff is usable with AD&D (it is), and that AD&D is a registered trademark
of TSR, etc.  Then in big letters it says explicitly that TSR has NOT given
them permission to use the logo, etc.

My question is:  Why do this?  Is it some sort of legal device for self-
protection?  Is TSR suing these people (gawd, I hope not!)?

--
Alan Wexelblat
ARPA: WEX@MCC.ARPA

req@warwick.UUCP (03/25/86)

In article <1195@milano.UUCP> wex@milano.UUCP writes:
>There is a line of (very good) FRP supplements put out by a company calling
>itself Role Aids [...]

[paraphrase of original:  the Role Aids supplements claim to be usable with
AD&D, and say that AD&D is a trademark of TSR `use without permission']
>My question is:  Why do this?  Is it some sort of legal device for self-
>protection?  Is TSR suing these people (gawd, I hope not!)?

I understand that TSR have successfully sued Mayfair Games, the producers of
the `Role Aids' products.  Newer editions of the suplements no longer bear the
message about the TSR/AD&D trademark.
This was reported in The Dragon, and in Imagine & White Dwarf in the UK.
I don't remember the date.

	- Russell
--
ARPA		req%warwick.uucp%daisy.warwick.ac.uk@ucl-cs.arpa