[net.games.frp] Wyldeland theory of magic

iverson@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Tim Iverson) (09/11/86)

In article <392@ubc-cs.UUCP> andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jamie Andrews) writes:
>In article <1082@leadsv.UUCP> hooper@leadsv.UUCP (Ken Hooper) writes:
>>... The game originated with a study
>>into how magic really works, so I could replace the AD&D system with something
>>that wasn't blatantly wrong. The study was so successful that I've now become
>>an Animist and a student of The Art (I'm not yet mature enough to be a
>>practicing witch, but I am practicing)....
>
>     Holy sh*t!  (so to speak)
>
>     Don't tell this to all those people who condemn AD&D because it
>leads to witchcraft!   :-)

	What I am curious about is why do people think witchcraft is so bad?
Admittedly I don't know much about it, but I would think that unless it
involved such questionable activities as involuntary human sacrifice, it
should be treated as any other belief system whose main support is derived
from FAITH and TRUTH (N.B. this is different from the real thing - faith
and truth can be rationalized).

	I always thought that fear of witches, dark magic, and the perpetual
bogie man - Satan, had died out in the middle ages or maybe a little after
the hangings at Salem.  So, what I want to know is this: Are any of you out
there afraid of witches, black magic, or Lucifer himself?  HHmmm?

	Well, maybe that is so direct as to make anyone answering yes seem
a fool.  Perhaps I should rephrase.  Should such a person exist that claims
to be a witch, or practise black magic, or worship Satan - would you think
that such a person was crazy, bad, or downright evil?

	To start the ball rolling, I would think that such a person is no more
crazy than most Christians and probably alot less evil - they are probably not
going to denounce you as witch and burn you at the stake, something Christians
have a long history of doing.  For those of you who wish to counter by saying
that Christians have not burnt anyone recently, let me point out that although
the Rev. Fallwell (sp?) and the news media never use fire, they do indeed
roast people. :-)

- Tim Iverson
  iverson@cory.Berkeley.EDU
  ...!ucbvax!cory!iverson

faustus@ucbcad.BERKELEY.EDU (Wayne A. Christopher) (09/11/86)

In article <142@zen.BERKELEY.EDU>, iverson@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Tim Iverson) writes:
> 	Well, maybe that is so direct as to make anyone answering yes seem
> a fool.  Perhaps I should rephrase.  Should such a person exist that claims
> to be a witch, or practise black magic, or worship Satan - would you think
> that such a person was crazy, bad, or downright evil?

Well, the poster you are responding to said that he had become an animist -
although I don't quite see the point, animism as a religon is a far cry
from Satanism.  If somebody calls themself a witch, that's fine with me,
but if they say they worship Satan, which is quite a different thing, I
start to worry...  Not that they're going to put a hex on me, but that
such a person would have to be pretty unstable to begin with... Assuming
of course that he or she means the standard Christian Satan, not Pan whom
Satan is derived from...

	Wayne

cc100jr@gitpyr.UUCP (Joel Rives) (09/12/86)

In article <1021@ucbcad.BERKELEY.EDU> faustus@ucbcad.BERKELEY.EDU (Wayne A. Christopher) writes:
>In article <142@zen.BERKELEY.EDU>, iverson@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Tim Iverson) writes:
>> 	Well, maybe that is so direct as to make anyone answering yes seem
>> a fool.  Perhaps I should rephrase.  Should such a person exist that claims
>> to be a witch, or practise black magic, or worship Satan - would you think
>> that such a person was crazy, bad, or downright evil?
>
>Well, the poster you are responding to said that he had become an animist -
>although I don't quite see the point, animism as a religon is a far cry
>from Satanism.  If somebody calls themself a witch, that's fine with me,
>but if they say they worship Satan, which is quite a different thing, I
>start to worry...  Not that they're going to put a hex on me, but that
>such a person would have to be pretty unstable to begin with... Assuming
>of course that he or she means the standard Christian Satan, not Pan whom
>Satan is derived from...

For those of you who find this discussion interesting, I recommend reading
talk.religion and/or net.religion. A similar discussion has been going on
there for some time. In fact, Lucifer has been - rather intelligently -
analogized with Promethius the Titan. The analogy began with the statement
that both were considered to have brought knowledge and enlightenment from
the realm of the gods to mankind. In Lucifer's case it was through the
Tree of Knowledge - the biblical story of the Eve and the Serpent. In
Promethius's case, the Greek legends call him the fire bringer. He is reported
as having not only brought fire to man but knowledge of various arts and
crafts. Lucifer was cast into Hell by The Judeo-Christian god for his
rebelious nature. Promethius was chained to a mountain where a vulture
perpetually ate his liver - which continuously regenerated (Remember that
one GM's when you're looking for a particularly nasty way to torture info
out of a PC wearing a ring of regeneration :-). In Prometheus' case, he
was lucky enough to have Heracles wander by and free him. Lucifer, it
seems is still roasting away in the pits of Hell. Now that would make for
an interesting adventure for some great Hero - wouldn't it? Heh heh!

As for witchcraft (or wicca as it's followers prefer), it is one of the oldest
known forms of worship and - contrary to popular belief - does not involve
living sacrifices. I agree with the previous poster, the records show that
wicca is far more tollerant of christianity than christianity has been of
wicca (or any other religion for that matter)

--
Joel Rives

USENET: gatech!gitpyr!cc100jr
BITNET: gatech!gitvm1!cc100jr

   "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are!"
					<< Buckaroo Banzai >>

za56@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU (Brian McNeill) (09/13/86)

In article <142@zen.BERKELEY.EDU> iverson@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Tim Iverson) writes:

>	Well, maybe that is so direct as to make anyone answering yes seem
>a fool.  Perhaps I should rephrase.  Should such a person exist that claims
>to be a witch, or practise black magic, or worship Satan - would you think
>that such a person was crazy, bad, or downright evil?

Witches (Wicca) are an ancient sect of "pagans" (so called by Xians)
that worshipped Nature (sorta like Druids...somebody correct me if
Im wrong!)...in the middle ages, Witches were persecuted because
they followed a different religion...thusly, the Xians started
spreading rumors that Witches worshipped Lucifer Malfkrieg,
etc...and even changed the Bible against them (the passage in the
King James Bible reading "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live"
read in the original Hebrew, "Thou shalt not suffer a POISONER to
live AMONG YOU"!  Major change here, and one that cost hundreds of
thousands of innocent women to burn/hang/be pressed to death!)

>	To start the ball rolling, I would think that such a person is no more
>crazy than most Christians and probably alot less evil - they are probably not
>going to denounce you as witch and burn you at the stake, something Christians
>have a long history of doing.  For those of you who wish to counter by saying
>that Christians have not burnt anyone recently, let me point out that although
>the Rev. Fallwell (sp?) and the news media never use fire, they do indeed
>roast people. :-)

Bingo...and a lot less bloodthirsty, I would say, also...after all,
the Wicca did not start an Inquisition, several religious wars, a
few hundred thousand burnings, etc (in all, I would say that Xianity
has been one of the worst scourges in all of history, outkilling the
Black Plague...and its something for which there appears to be no
cure!)  And whose to say that if Falwell gets his way there won't be
more witch burnings around (not to mention infringement upon all of
my rights...like my right to read anything I damned well please,
even if it is anti-Xian, or whatever...)

>- Tim Iverson
>  iverson@cory.Berkeley.EDU
>  ...!ucbvax!cory!iverson

/-----------------------------------------------------------\
| Brian McNeill        ARPA :           za56@sdcc3.ucsd.edu |
| HASA "A" Division    UUCP :  ...!sdcsvax!sdcc6!sdcc3!za56 |
|-----------------------------------------------------------|
| Disclaimer: I hereby disclaim all knowledge of opinions,  |
|   expressed or implied, including this disclaimer.        |
| Flames ---> /dev/null                                     |
\-----------------------------------------------------------/

hutch@volkstation.gwd.tek.com (Stephen Hutchison) (09/16/86)

writes:
>	What I am curious about is why do people think witchcraft is so bad?
>Admittedly I don't know much about it, but I would think that unless it
>involved such questionable activities as involuntary human sacrifice, it
>should be treated as any other belief system whose main support is derived
>from FAITH and TRUTH (N.B. this is different from the real thing - faith
>and truth can be rationalized).

Since this seems to be an actual request for information I guess I can answer
it, even though it will probably collect flames.  I refuse to read any of
the religion newsgroups so if you insist on flaming me from that corner,
please use mail.  People in net.games.frp who are bored by this can either
hit "n" or read it for the ideas about how and WHY people think what they do.

Witchcraft is believed by most people, Christian or not, to be associated
with the malevolent summoning of spirits and demonic forces in order to
take magical revenge on other people, or to in some way achieve power over
them.  Note that this is what most people BELIEVE to be the case.

The historic persecution of Witches in western history is in some ways tied
to the change from a society where women were, if not equal in all roles, at
least valued for their own traditional roles.  The increase in male-sexist
social roles, especially in the prevalence of male doctors, resulted in the
women's healing arts being labeled "magic".  Of course, not all who practiced
those arts were women.  Anyway, the herbal medicine of northern Europe was
identified with black magic.  Since this herbal tradition was often also
connected with some of the pagan beliefs, and the pagan deities were labelled
as demons and such by Christians, the various traditional pictures of witches
arose as cauldron-stirring hags who lived in forests and had magical powers.

Three other things happened which resulted in the western view of witches.
First, in Europe, the Ergot fungus spread and destroyed much of the wheat
harvest there.  Ergot poisoning results in some specific, peculiar symptoms
which include partial paralysis, sexual hallucinations and hallucinations
of flying, and a specific paranoia: strong overwhelming dread that the mind
is being taken over by evil "voices" from outside.  It can cause uncontrolled
twitching, jerky dance-like spasms, all sorts of things which were attributed
to witches and the "evil eye" and since "witches" often KNEW better than
to eat ergot-rotted wheat, their own immunity was proof of their guilt.
Second, the Black Plague came.  Nobody knew what caused it, nobody knew how
to cure or prevent it.  Clearly it was the work of some evil thing.
Thirdly, in America, the slave trade brought some isolated, rather despised
people to Haiti; a group of cultish types who practiced a "death magic"
which has come to be called Voudoo.  The things taught by this cult were
brought to America by Haitian slaves, and in the paranoid, cultish and
insular environment of the Puritans, some of these slaves taught particular
kinds of magic to the children they raised, thus the Salem witch-hunts.
Incidentally, Cotton Mather was greatly maligned by a political opponent
and was NOT the bogey-man he is presented as being in most history books.

>	I always thought that fear of witches, dark magic, and the perpetual
>bogie man - Satan, had died out in the middle ages or maybe a little after
>the hangings at Salem.  So, what I want to know is this: Are any of you out
>there afraid of witches, black magic, or Lucifer himself?  HHmmm?

A lot of people ARE "afraid" of what you so quaintly call "the perpetual
bogie man".  They believe that the Enemy is trying to separate them from
their God.  Some people are warm, safe, and happy in their materialism or
atheism or whatever other religion they believe in, and thus feel free
to mock and sneer at those others for their beliefs.

>	Well, maybe that is so direct as to make anyone answering yes seem
>a fool.  Perhaps I should rephrase.  Should such a person exist that claims
>to be a witch, or practise black magic, or worship Satan - would you think
>that such a person was crazy, bad, or downright evil?
>
>	To start the ball rolling, I would think that such a person is no more
>crazy than most Christians and probably alot less evil - they are probably not
>going to denounce you as witch and burn you at the stake, something Christians
>have a long history of doing.  For those of you who wish to counter by saying
>that Christians have not burnt anyone recently, let me point out that although
>the Rev. Fallwell (sp?) and the news media never use fire, they do indeed
>roast people. :-)

If a person claims to practice black magic, depending on the methods used,
you bet I'd think them pretty crazy and pretty evil.  I used to try to do
that myself, and the psychological effects alone are pretty damaging to
the practitioner.  As for someone claiming to "worship" Satan, that depends
on what they thought Satan was.  A basic premise held by many Christians is
that ANY worship of any deity OR THING other than the One True God is in the
end a worship of Satan.  I won't necessarily go this far, but in the context
of Christian belief, where only the One True God DESERVES worship, where the
act of worship is the act of acknowledging Holiness, rightness and goodness,
then any worship of anything less than Him Who is Holy is an act in the
SERVICE of the Enemy.

As far as judging Christians now by the acts of Christians in the past, please
recall that there is no group of people on this planet at any time who can
be proud the whole history of their group.  I promise not to judge you because
your great-grandfather was a slave trader (if indeed he was) if you promise
not to judge me because my great-great-grandfather took scalps.

Hutch

wex@milano.UUCP (09/18/86)

In article <7638@tekecs.UUCP>, hutch@volkstation.gwd.tek.com (Stephen
Hutchison) provides a nice summary of how "witches" came to be regarded
the way they are in our culture.  He leaves out a bit, though, when he writes:
> Thirdly, in America, the slave trade brought some isolated, rather despised
> people to Haiti; a group of cultish types who practiced a "death magic"
> which has come to be called Voudoo.  The things taught by this cult were
> brought to America by Haitian slaves, and in the paranoid, cultish and
> insular environment of the Puritans, some of these slaves taught particular
> kinds of magic to the children they raised, thus the Salem witch-hunts.

This is true, but incomplete.  Most of the original slaves came from Africa.
Most of the tribes they were stolen (or sold) from believed in various kinds
of magic:  spirits, gods, animism, etc.  Many had shaman and/or witch
doctors and they practised several kinds of ritual magic.

In addition, many of the Africans were skilled in herbal and other natural
forms of medicine.  Some of these were undoubtedly seen as magic by
medically-ignorant colonists.

Lastly, many Native American tribes had similar practices and, in addition,
often used narcotic or hallucinogenic substances in their ceremonies.  These
tribes probably also had some influence on the Europeans (especially those
that were taken back to Europe as `showpieces').

--
Alan Wexelblat
ARPA: WEX@MCC.ARPA or WEX@MCC.COM

"All that money makes such a succulent sound."

It should not be forgotten that the Church also had pragmatic reasons for
persecuting witches:  dissatisfaction with the Church was widespread, and
was taking practical forms here and there.  It was very useful to have a
dangerous and insidious enemy which only the Church could fight effectively.
The transition of Church policy on witchcraft from tolerant unconcern to
fierce and vigorous opposition followed the rise of the Church's practical
problems pretty closely.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology