[net.games.frp] Money balance in AD&D modules.

patrick@mcc-pp.UUCP (Patrick McGehearty) (11/25/86)

In article <688@husc6.UUCP>, may@husc4.harvard.edu (jason may) writes:
> 	This is something I intensely dislike about AD&D.  The money-for-
> level-training rule in AD&D is obviously something added to the rules
> by Gygax to stop PC's from carrying around huge quantities of cash.
I agree that the official version does not work too well.
I have played in miserly campaigns, and while they work, having money
is fun too.  In my campaign, money and magic are obtainable, especially
at higher levels.
I have two methods for reducing excess cash on hand:
1) Magic is for sale (at 2-3 times the price they can sell it for,
   with major items such as +4 swords in short supply).
2) GPs do not directly provide experience.  Rather, they can be
   spent for training on a GP for EP basis, with a maximum
   of (100EP/current level) of training EP to be gained in a day.
   Gold spent on magic is not available for training and vice versa,
   giving the players another interesting choice in how to use
   their wealth.  Clerics must spend at least 10% on training
   as it counts as their tithe.

On the whole, the GP for training has worked very well.
Low level characters tend to prefer training, and high level
prefer magic.  Also, there is none of this "lets go find a
large spider so I can get a few ep for my next level".

If I had the magic to do over again, I would set the purchase
price of magic higher relative to the sale price.  But I
tend to be a little generous.  Also, they have done some favors
for the local magic store owner, improving their deals.

On another note, it is tough to maintain challenge and balance
at the higher levels without having run them before.
My current group is up to 10th+ level now, running through the Giant
series to be followed by the D series.
I find the better modules useful as a starting point, to then
be elaborated on.  The "Tomb of Horrors" really had them on
edge.  If they had not been forewarned by net traffic, they
might have lost several people.  Instead, they used every
informational spell resource they could think of, and still
came close to losing a character or two in unrecoverable ways.

I have noted a real dearth of modules above 12th level for AD&D.
Anyone else have an interest in that level of play?
(Drawback: rule interpretations are required frequently
 for using irresistable magic vs untouchable magic... :-)
 Example: Dispell Magic vs Antimagic Shell
  (in the actual event, a wish was used from outside the shell)

Patrick McGehearty