[net.music] Mixed Metaphors in Kate Bush & Laurie Anderson lyrics

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (07/09/85)

["Wow! This is INTENSE!"    "Life as a repo man is always intense."]

Here's another article that was posted to net.music, but never reached
this end of the net.  I received it via personal mail:

> From: ihnp4!purdue!iuvax!marek (Marek W. Lugowski)

>>    "Suspended in Gaffa" contains the line "I caught a glimpse of a god all
>>    shiny and bright".  So I think that "A Deal With God" will be something
>>    along these lines -- and I find that very interesting, because it is her
>>    lyrics on this subject that touch me most deeply, because they are
>>    things that I have obsessed me for years and years.
>>
>>			"I try to get nearer, but as it gets clearer
>>			 There something appears in the way
>>			 It's a plank in me eye
>>			 With a camel who's trying to get through it
>>			 Am I doing it?
>>			 Can I have it all now?
>>			 I want it all!"
>>
>>			 Doug Alan
>>			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

> /**** iuvax:net.music / iuvax!marek / 12:29 am  Jun 23, 1985 ****/
> I am using that very quote ("plank in me eye" etc."), paraphrased and
> attributed, in a technical report on metaphor-use in AI theory-formation.
> Seriously.

> I find Kate Bush's (and Laurie Anderson's) mixed metaphors a wonderful
> rebuke to the prevalent notion that mixed metaphors are something to
> be avoided.  Far from that, they can be an art form, a double-exposure
> of sorts.

> I consider the creative mixed metaphor to reveal to us a glimpse of
> the image/evoked-prototype-driven aspects of thinking, natural or
> artificial.  If you could point me to further examples of creative
> mixed metaphor, it might benefit my computational and methodological results.

> Thank you.
>					-- Marek Lugowski
>					   IU CS Department
>					   Bloomington, Indiana 47405
>					   marek@indiana.csnet

I think that when high-school teachers (or whatever) warn you not to use
mixed metaphors, it is because that unless you know what you are doing,
you are probably doing something wrong.  A mixed metaphor is going to
humorous or whimsical, and in this way can be used very wonderfully and
effectively.  This is the effect that is intended by Kate Bush and
Laurie Anderson, but most people who use mixed metaphors, do so
improperly because they aren't intending to be humorous.

				"Pile on many more layers
				 And I'll be joining you there"