[net.math] Diagonalization Problem

leimkuhl@uiuccsb.UUCP (02/24/84)

#N:uiuccsb:9700023:000:1140
uiuccsb!leimkuhl    Feb 23 12:15:00 1984

   I am posting this for Hao-Nhien Qui Vu

   Ben Leimkuhler

Subject: Diagonalization process problem.
Newsgroup: net.math

	A few weeks ago I sent a proposal to the problem section
of Pi Mu Epsilon Journal, which says essentially "Prove that the
Cauchy diagonalization process can't prove that the rationals
in [0,1] are uncountable". Later I saw a similar problem posted
to net.math. I haven't read net news for a while (4-5 weeks) , so
it is probable that the net.math problem appeared before I sent my
proposal to the PMEJ Problem Editor. I haven't got the courage
to do a "readnews -x" to figure out who posted the problem to net.math

	So if the author felt that for ethical or whatever reason
I should withdraw my PMEJ proposal, please tell me so. I am willing
to do it any time.

====
Hao-Nhien Qui Vu
{ alberta, decvax, eagle, harpo, ihnp4, research, sri-unix, ucbvax} !pur-ee!vu
or