[net.cycle] gas on gas tanks

rusty (02/08/83)

From: rusty (Rusty Wright)
here are the replies i got to my query about getting gas on the
gas tank and armor-all. thanks to all who replied.

    From sdcattb!sdcsvax!philabs!cmcl2!floyd!harpo!zeppo!fox
    Date: 28 Jan 83  16:26:32 EST  (Fri)
    To: harpo!floyd!cmcl2!philabs!sdcsvax!sdcattb!sdcarl!rusty
    Subject: satin finish

    The Armor-All spray works great in preserve flexibility and
    appearance of plastics, however it does tend to attract dust and
    dirt (just a little).  Also it makes surfaces slippery so don't put
    it on your steering wheel or the road surface of your tires.
    People in Phoenix and other hot places use the stuff once every
    several weeks.  I get the stuff in half gallon bottles.  As far as
    gasoline stains go,  sometimes rubbing with vegetable oil helps,
    depending on the additives of the gas.

    From sdcattb!sdcsvax!sdchema!djo  Thu Jan 27 16:40:40 1983
    To: sdcsvax!sdcattb!sdcarl!rusty
    Subject: armor all

    i use armor all and i think it is one of the best products on the
    market.  at least i haven't found a better one yet.  unless, you
    are working on leather, then i recommend Hide Food for Leather.
    happy car care!

    From sdcattb!sdcsvax!philabs!cmcl2!floyd!harpo!decvax!watmath!watbun!kgdykes
    Date: Mon Jan 31 02:33:23 1983

    First thing: i hope you get this, it is coming from a Honeywell
    6000 (gcos) system that is a leafy node on the watmath end of the
    net and our mail system on the gcos only had net fixes just put in
    recently we cant "post" news yet....

    re: keeping your new bike looking like new

    yes, i would recommend Armor All for rubber and plastic parts, it
    really does work in my opinion (i have used it now for 3 yrs)

    for your gas-spillage on the tank problem, Armor-all company makes
    a product called "armor plate" it is for painted surfaces, you use
    like a liquid wax, but it too is very tough and take quite nicely
    to "buffing up" between applications.  i find about once a month
    is enough times to apply it, but i live in a city with low
    air-pollution, and it is my guess that pollution in rain is what
    eventually wears it out, i have used this stuff for about 2 yrs.

        Enjoy your bike,    ..Ken Dykes  (Yamaha Rd350b [1975]
                                          Matchless 650 G12 [1960] customized)
                                          Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
    ps: the armor-all holds up pretty good against winter salt too!

    From sdcattb!sdcsvax!philabs!cmcl2!floyd!harpo!decvax!cincy!xasm
    Date: Fri Feb  4 00:41:09 1983
    To: decvax!harpo!floyd!cmcl2!philabs!sdcsvax!sdcattb!sdcarl!rusty
    Subject: Re: bike finish

    There is a simple way to keep from spilling gasoline on the gas
    tank surface.  The trouble is it is very easy to show someone but
    hard to describe. Basically, if you are spilling gas on the tank
    then your basic attempt at putting the pump nozzle in the tank is
    the problem. You are pointing the nozzle directly at the tank
    opening. That will almost always leave gas on the outside of the
    tank.  What you need to do is to hold the pump nozzle horizontal
    actually tip slightly elevated. Then approach the tank opening from
    the side of the tank, when the pump nozzle is directly over the
    tank opening (about an inch above it, and the nozzle is still
    almost horizontal) turn the nozzle down into the gas tank.  Reverse
    the operation to remove the nozzle. Sorry I am at a loss on how to
    better describe the operation better.

    One word of warning, on vinyl products. Be very careful on using
    vinyl preservatives on the seat. I used one particular product (I
    wish I could positively identify brand) which left a really nice
    shine on the vinyl.  The only problem was that it also made the
    seat very slick on the seat of the pants. This really translate to
    an enormous problem of staying on the seat.

	Bob Fite
	decvax!cincy!xasm