[net.cycle] motorcycles for beginners

an@hou2h.UUCP (01/19/84)

Subject: re: motorcycles for novices
Newsgroups: net.cycle

Yes, definitely start out small!  You don't know how much 400 lbs
is until you have tried to pick it up as it lays there in a heap by
the roadside.  As for power,  even a 400 cc bike have more than
enough to lay waste to some $30K plus sport cars.  My 550 with me
(120 lbs) aboard has the same power to weight ratio as an early
70's Corvette with a 455 cid v8!  Big bikes just mean big trouble
if you are just starting out.

I found it odd that the distinction was made between 250s and 400s.
Most two-fifty's probably don't weigh a whole lot less than 400's.
My guess: 300-350 lbs vs 400 lbs approx. If you wanna talk small,
try 125's for a significant difference.

I only sorta agree with that bit about starting out with an second
hand bike though.  Depends a lot on who you buy it from of course.
Ask to see service records if the bike has any kind of mileage on
it at all.  Beware of self maintained bikes,  unless the guy's got
a ton of tools in his garage and a Lotus Europa all taken apart in
a million pieces!  And even then,  beware ...

Note also that lots of used bikes suffer from a lack of exercise.
Weird stuff can form in the oil when it's allowed to sit for
several months,  corroding engine parts and probably reduce the
oil's lubrication properties also.  The best maintenance one can
give a bike is to ride it regularly.

And,  of course,  new is just --- well,  newer! Because of the
rotten economy last couple of years there are lotsa '83, '82
and maybe even '81 leftover bikes that can be had for a song.
The Yamaha Seca 400 is good, and so is the Suzuki 450. Any of
the Honda's using variations of the 400/450 6-valve twin are
good solid pieces. And of course there's my personal favourite,
the Kawasaki GPz305.

Myself, I started out on a '74 Honda 360 in '80 because I couldn't
afford anything much newer than that at the time, and I definitely
didn't want anything bigger! After over 7000 miles in a bit over a
year, at least half of which were long distance highway miles, I
retired it in favour of a bigger bike. No complaints here! The
long trips were not the most comfortable trips I've taken,
but they were all fun and the bike never broke and left me
stranded, which my dad's Chrysler station wagon did once!

Brotherly instructions and other forms of informal lessons are
poor stuff even for cars,  and especially more so for bikes.
There are official riding courses offered in most places. You
can probably ask a bike shop in your area.

Helmets are needless to say a *MUST*! Get a full face helmet
unless you have a really good excuse. Football players wear 'em
to face 300 lbs linebackers, and if you think you can face
Grope in a 3000 lbs Buick without one, you oughtta have your
head examined! Boots or shoes that cover the ankles are a good
idea, and gloves too like the man said.

				Au Nguyen
				AT&T CP
				Holmdel, NJ
				(201) 834-1042

lat@stcvax.UUCP (Larry Tepper) (01/19/84)

I really don't want to belabor the point, but in this case it
is worth it:

		G e t   a   h e l m e t.

		W E A R   A   H E L M E T.

Get a full face helmet if you can at all afford it.

Two recent issues of Motorcyclist had general reviews of helmets.
They didn't safety test them, there are two highly qualified
organizations that already do that; Snell and D.O.T.  However,
the articles did cover price, comfort, wind noise and other
characteristics that one can consider after picking several safe
models to choose from.

There is a reason for this:  if you ride a motorcycle, you will
fall down.  I don't say this to scare any beginners.  However, without
adequate protection (which typically includes gloves, boots and a
leather jacket too) even a 10 mph accident can mean a trip to the
hospital instead of getting up, dusting yourself off, picking
up your bike and going.

To give a sense of perspective to beginners, consider wearing sneakers
without socks, shorts and a t-shirt.  Now go out onto your favorite
paved road and run a fast as you can.  Once you're up to speed fling
yourself headlong into the air and roll along the pavement until you
stop.  Ouch.  If you're really fast, you'll be going about 20 mph.
Perform the same experiment wearing all the abovementioned gear.
Odds are, I think, you'll only end up with a bruise or two.  (Still
ouch, though).
--
	Larry Tepper - Storage Technology (disk division)
	uucp:	{ decvax, hao}!stcvax!lat

plaskon@hplabsc.UUCP (Dawn Plaskon) (02/09/84)

I learned to ride a motorcycle about eighteen months ago through
a course given by the Adult Education Center and sponsored by the
Motorcycle Safety Foundation.  I recommend anyone interested in
learning to ride to check with your Adult Education Center.

The course I was given was oriented to give thorough training in
safe riding in traffic conditions.  Bikes were provided, 125's
through 250's; there were classroom sessions which covered riding
rules and included films about motorcycle safety.  The course ended
with a written and a riding test and certificates were given out.
The only advantage of the certificates is that they will get you
a ten percent discount on insurance rates through one of the companies.
The course was quite reasonably priced, about $20.00.

One point can not be hounded enough.  WEAR A HELMET, at the least, and
preferably, protective clothing as well.  If you are at all interested
in riding though, do learn.  It is fun, challenging, and invigorating.