Date: Mon, 20 Feb 84 12:31:36 pst
From: marauder (Bill Landsborough)
To: hou2h!an
Subject: Re: Nylon sprockets

  Nylon sprockets work well if you maintain your chain and
countersprocket meticulously.  You didn't mention whether its
for a dirt or street motorcycle but they do work well for both.
I would be hesitant to run a nylon sprocket on a street bike
larger than a 650 cc displacement.
  I have never run one myself but a close friend did on a Honda
CR 250 dirt bike.  He maintained it "fairly" well and chewed all
the teeth off the sprocket.
   As for a "self lubricating" O-ring chain they do work well but
it is still smart to spray O-ring compatible chain lubricant on it
every 500 miles or so for a street bike and less for dirt.  The
O-ring seals lubricant inside the rollers which is great but dry
metal to dry O-ring will wear out the O-ring.

Hope this helped... Is it springtime yet???

       BILL LANDSBOROUGH

an@hou2h.UUCP (A.NGUYEN) (02/27/84)

I've read of Joe Minton's (Motorcyclist / Rider magazines)
experiences with NEP nylon sprockets and Tsubaki HSL self lube
chain.  He had it on a Yamaha XS650 (twin) and the results were
excellent.  I think I will put them on my KZ550.

	Au Nguyen	"Keep warm, and watch out for ice !"