[net.cycle] Electronic Ignition for Old Bikes

dyer@vaxuum.DEC (Example #22) (05/05/84)

Re: Electronic Ignition for Old Bikes [Forwarded]______________________________

From: ...decwrl!rhea!eludom!clark
Date: 3-MAY-1984 16:50

Several years ago I installed a Prestolite (???) electronic ignition kit on
my '75 Honda GL1000 (Gold Wing).  Installation was straightforward
but time-consuming.  Timing was done by rotating the assembly and by moving
the magnetic pickup.  Unfortunately, once proper timing was achieved,
tightening down the two mounting screws would move the assembly and throw
off the timing.  After MANY attempts, I got it right, put the cover on,
and haven't touched it since.

Except for the installation hassle, I've been very happy with the Prestolite
ignition.  It turned my cold-blooded GL1000 into a bike that starts easily,
even in cold weather.

Ward Clark