[net.cycle] Re Re eye protection

daemon@watmath.UUCP (07/04/84)

Subject: Re Re eye protection : net.cycle

> "Anyone with a good reason for skimping on face protection?"

Of course there's no good reason.
Hey, why not drive a car! or a truck!!
To me a great part of motorcycling is feeling and being part of
the environment.  Somehow I just cant understand this idea of buying
an open-air vehicle then going to great pains to totally encase yourself
in protective clothing at all times.
I will wear goggles if its cold or raining, but egads, full face helmets
cut out to much sound, to me that is UNSAFE.
Giant bug splats and pebbles from dump trucks arent all THAT painful, just
be sure you have eye protection (i dont normally wear goggles because i have
normal blind-mans glasses [extra priced saftey type of course]).
Also, ever done 12 allergy-sneezes rapidly in succession behind a faceshield
at 60mph????
 Naturally, if you dont have allergies, have very sensitive skin, and only
bought your bike for the reputed fuel economy, go ahead encase yourself.  (-:

 Drive defensively,
  Drive a tank.            (-:

                - Ken Dykes
                  Software Development Group, University of Waterloo
                  Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.  N2L 3G1
                  watmath!watrose!watbun!kgdykes

ps: i recommend Carrera "Vison" model goggles for eye-glass wearers.
    they are a ski goggle that are polarized, double thickness, and
    specially coated and vented so as not to fog up like my old Uvex
    goggles did.  They fit nicely over fairly large "aviator" style
    prescription glasses and keep the wind and rain from eyes.
    They also have a wide elastic band that doesnt slip and slide on
    your helment as easily has those quarter-inch wide bands most
    cheap goggles seem to have.
    Depending on your source, priced anywhere from $30 to $45 (cdn)

myrdal@uwvax.ARPA (07/06/84)

> Somehow I just cannot understand this idea of buying an open
> air vehicle then going to great pains to totally encase yourself
> in protective clothing at all times.

	Well, let me explain something - the road is HARD. When
     	you come home some day without any skin  then tell me
	how important it is to encase your only living body. I
	don't mean to be sarcastic, but lets face it - were only
	here once - lets have a good time.

> full face helmets cut out too much sound, to me that is UNSAFE

	The only way a full face helmet is going to cut out that
	much sound is if you are deaf.

> Giant bug splats and pebbles from dump trucks are not all THAT
> painful, just be sure to have eye protection

	Lets be sure to have FACE protection. A freind of a freind
	of mine rode without a face shield. An innocent bee got
	sucked into his helmet and he panicked and drove head on
	into a semi. This may be unlikey to happen, but it is only
	one of many reasons to protect yourself.

	Drive,
	But drive smart!

			-Greg Myrdal
			University of Wisconsin, Madison