[net.cycle] Re Re Re Re eye protection

kwlalonde@watmath.UUCP (07/10/84)

Subject: Re Re Re Re eye protection : net.cycle
> Somehow I just cannot understand this idea of buying an open
> air vehicle then going to great pains to totally encase yourself
> in protective clothing at all times.
>>	Well, let me explain something - the road is HARD. When
>>     	you come home some day without any skin  then tell me
>>	how important it is to encase your only living body. I
>>	don't mean to be sarcastic, but lets face it - were only
>>	here once - lets have a good time.
    If you have LOTS of time, I can tell all about my skin losses,
   close calls, bugs, bees, wasp, trucks, truck tires, 2x4 planks,
   scrap metal, gravel roads, and sliding ON MY FACE for 10 feet.
   I do know how HARD the road is.

> Giant bug splats and pebbles from dump trucks are not all THAT
> painful, just be sure to have eye protection
>>	Lets be sure to have FACE protection. A freind of a freind
>>	of mine rode without a face shield. An innocent bee got
>>	sucked into his helmet and he panicked and drove head on
>>	into a semi. This may be unlikey to happen, but it is only
>>	one of many reasons to protect yourself.
     I dont believe excessive panic behaviour is EVER allowed for
     ANYONE using ANY motor vehicle.
     Also i would suspect hitting a semi would do more bone/muscle
     damage than skin damage. Also did he manage hit something FACE FIRST?
     Its been my experience (direct, and of friends) that you dont usually
     hit the front side of the head directly, but rather the top or sides,
     which (if you believe helmets work over 25mph) open or closed face
     helmets provide the same protection.  (Just think, if he had
     a helmet DESIGNED TO BE OPEN FACED, the bee wouldnt have got caught
       :-) )

                    - Ken Dykes
                      Software Development Group, University of Waterloo
                      Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.  N2L 3G1
                      watmath!watrose!watbun!kgdykes