[net.cycle] re re re Hit face first?

daemon@watmath.UUCP (07/20/84)

Subject: re re re Hit face first? (re unmvax!lee) : net.cycle

> 2) That the "odds are you won't land on your face" side of this argument
> is a pretty dangerous assumption.  Or to take you back to your first
> philosophy class. "Nobody has seen a black swan so it doesn't exist."

Forget philosophy! Odds dont mean it dont happen!
How *MANY* accidents have these reported people had???
How *MANY* of those were detrimental to the face??
I never, ever, said it didnt happen, and the word "odds" doesnt mean
that a few times isnt allowed either!

Also, of all "face accidents" (motorcycle, not birth), how many of those
are "permanant" or required "surgery"  or just merely the same olde
road burns etc that heal with time like any other part of the body?
I too have landed on my face and SLID SLID SLID on it.
My biggest injury was to my pride (ever see road-burned lips???)
(stop laughing)
BUT! the lips healed the fastest of all the scrapes acquired during that
particular encounter (they looked like lips again in 2 days, no
obvious damage a week later)
[My brain damage was there before the accident...]
My knee (i was wearing full levi jeans) still has an ugly scar/scab/burn
(admittedly much smaller) a full 4.5 months later (one of the few days
that february/84 I didnt wear my leather chaps... *sigh*)
I do stand by my original statements however.
I have never said either that you dont have a right to protect yourself
(or not to) as you see fit.  This all started when I replied to someone
asking "Is there any reason to never have full face protection?"
[not direct quote]
I gave a few I use.
Enuf already out there! If argument must continue, lets restart discussion
on general helmet "LAWS" (not helmets themselves) (or is that too subtle
a distinction for some people?)

              - Ken Dykes
                Software Development Group, University of Waterloo
                Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.  N2L 3G1
                watmath!watrose!watbun!kgdykes