[net.cycle] staying warm in cold weather

ron@wjvax.UUCP (12/20/84)

(You said I would not survive, but I made it home alive... --Billy Joel)

OK, I've been wanting to do this for some time.  I had ridden
bikes exclusively for about 14 years, followed by 3 years of
half bike and half van.  I still ride my bike in the winter,
partly because the winters in the California bay area aren't
*that* cold, and partly because I can't afford to feed the
Econoline.

I'm convinced that the best combination is layered clothing
with something wind-tight over the top.  For freezing weather,
I would wear the following:  Thermals, then jeans and a woolen
shirt followed by a sweater followed by a jumpsuit and finally
a jacket.  (Makes it kinda hard to move.)  The jumpsuit is to
keep the wind out, which *I* think is the major factor in keeping
warm.  The best clothes in the world won't help if the wind can
get in somewhere.  Once I dressed like this and then split
the crotch of the jumpsuit when I got on the bike.  Boy, what
a difference that little hole made.  Thought I was going to
die.

Some desperation tricks:  (You've started out on a long trip,
it's the middle of the night, freezing, and you didn't dress
warm enough.) Duct tape your pants legs to your boots (you DID
wear boots, didn't you???)  and your gloves to your jacket  Leave
a corner folded over so you can get your gloves off!!  If your
coat doesn't overlap behind the zipper, run a strip of tape
lengthwise down it.  Similarly, run tape around the point where
your jacket meets your pants.  If you have extra socks, wear
them over your gloves.  Put extra clothing around your neck
under the helmet.  I've even taped my visor closed, although
you then have trouble with steam obscuring your vision when you
slow down.

The reason for layering is so you can adjust the temperature
by adding or subtracting clothes.  Just like in arctic weather,
you Don't want to sweat.  In the sub-zero temperatures generated
by freeway speeds, sweat freezes.

I don't like stocking caps, because my helmet won't fit over one.
I use a scarf and wind it around my neck twice before sticking
it in my jacket.  This keeps the wind off your neck *and* keeps it
from coming into your helmet.  The difference is astounding.

I still shudder to think of the time I tried a *ski mask* under the
helmet.  You know the kind, two little holes for the eyes, one
hole for the nose.  The damn thing got twisted around and blinded
me, at speed on the freeway.  Don't use these.

Finally, cold is often a state of mind.  You can be very uncomfortable
and still not be in any danger.  Learn to live with it.

On the other hand, be aware of what your body is telling you.  If
you have trouble moving, your feet and hands are going numb, get
off (stop first) and run around the bike a few times.

Oh, and when you get home, get out of all those clothes.  All that
cold is trapped inside now, and you won't get warm for a *long*
time unless you shed them.

Hope this helps.  I'd be interested in other solutions as well.
Especially on how to stay dry.  I've tried rain gear, they all leak.
--

	Ron Christian  (Watkins-Johnson Co.  San Jose, Calif.)
	{pesnta,twg,ios,qubix,turtlevax,tymix}!wjvax!ron

pickens@sdcsla.UUCP (12/20/84)

In article <282@wjvax.UUCP> ron@wjvax.UUCP (Ron Christian) writes:
>I still shudder to think of the time I tried a *ski mask* under the
>helmet.  You know the kind, two little holes for the eyes, one
>hole for the nose.  The damn thing got twisted around and blinded
>me, at speed on the freeway.  Don't use these.
>	Ron Christian  (Watkins-Johnson Co.  San Jose, Calif.)
>	{pesnta,twg,ios,qubix,turtlevax,tymix}!wjvax!ron

When I used to ride to work at 5:30 am in the winter, (but it was only
Los Angeles!) I had a 1/2 face ski mask -- it covered from my nose on
down and fastened with velcro in the back.  No chance of it slipping
over my eyes! Unfortunately, I can't remember where I got it.

Alas, I no longer have a motorcycle... sigh, sob...

		-Karen Pickens
		 UCSD

mike@amdcad.UUCP (Mike Parker) (12/22/84)

I don't ride a bike, but I did spend many years riding

snowmobiles at night in 10 degree below zero weather,

I've also ridden in the rain. A good quality snowmobile

suit wil keep you warm in both cases.

The problem I see for motorcycle riders is really feet and

hands. We wore steel shank rubber boots with half inch thick

felt liners and double socks, and my feet were often cold.

Even up inside the cowling away from the wind. We also fingerless

leather gloves and they were no joy.

In all of the responses I've seen to this posting, no one

has described good boots or gloves. I don't think 15 pound

boots and fingerless gloves give enough control for motorcycles.

What do you wear instead???

Mike @ AMDCAD

rsellens@watdcsu.UUCP ( Mech. Eng.) (12/22/84)

sorry if there was another posting. my comm line crashed half way through.

It bugs me some how to hear guys from the bay area posting on how to survive
winter on a bike. After a couple of winters in Calgary, I'm not crazy enough
to want to try it. I had a friend in my building who swore by an ankle to
neck windproof suit, and he made 2 winters in Calgary (upright) without buying a car. My experience ( in  addition to his ) suggests that wind protection is
everything (underline,emphasize), but nothing can prevent you from going
horizontal on the ice except knowing when to put it away

..........rick

ron@wjvax.UUCP (Ron Christian) (12/27/84)

****
It bugs me some how to hear guys from the bay area posting on how to survive
winter on a bike.

..........rick
****

I probably asked for this.  Know ye that I have not spent all my life
in the Bay area!  I drove my bike all through high school in all kinds
of weather in northern california.  My experiance comes from that, and
living six years in Phoenix (Winter temperatures: 70 degrees in the daytime,
below freezing at night.  Desert, you know.) making commutes back home every
Thanksgiving and Christmas, (following the snowplow over the grapevine)
going east and/or north on vacation during the wrong time of year, and in
general taking on more weather than I could handle.  I was almost stranded
at Crater Lake, Oregon once when chains were required.  I've driven through
freezing rain, hail, you name it.  Besides, how much experiance could someone
from Illinois or North Dakoda have if they cover the bike and switch to
the 4WD at the first frost?  I think the telling factor is not where you
happen to live, but how many miles of what kind of weather the *bike*
has seen.