[net.cycle] What do YOU wear?

bobm@zinfandel.UUCP (12/15/84)

{-8  When riding in freezing rain, apply your brakes often  8-}
{-8  and firmly to keep the discs from glazing over.        8-}

	I bought my first street bike this summer, and as
	autumn progresses, I am discovering that a windbreaker
	doesn't keep me warm when I am riding.  I want to
	continue riding through the winter.  I'd like to
	hear what kind of clothing people are wearing when
	they ride in cold and wet weather.  I want to hear
	about jackets, pants and chaps, boots, gloves,
	full riding suits, whatever.  If you have praise
	or gripes about a particular brand or about a general
	type of clothing, let me know.

	The things I am looking for are, in order of decreasing
	importance, are

	    O	Warmth -- in this area of northern California,
		the lowest recorded temperature is 27 Fahrenheit,
		so I don't need a full Klondike.  I'd like something
		that will keep me comfortable in temperatures from
		say 30 to 60, (-: with wind-chill factors of -40 :-).

	    O	Dryness -- I've been told it rains a lot here in
		the winter.

	    O	Ease of Dressing/Undressing -- I don't have a car,
		so I'm using the bike for lots of short errands
		and for commuting.  I'd like it if it didn't take
		ten minutes to prepare for a five-minute trip.  (Of
		course, I can always go back to the windbreaker; I
		won't chill much in five minutes.)

	I don't care much about the price of such an object; it will
	almost certainly cost less than a car; I don't mind if it
	costs more than a car's insurance.

	Send your replies to the address below or post to the net;
	I do read net.cycle.

	+ --  --  --  --  +		Thanks,
	       this
	|     space	  |		Bob Miller
	     for rent			Zehntel Automation Systems
	+ --  --  --  --  +		Walnut Creek, California
					(415) 932-6900 x386

	USENET: ...{amd,dual,hplabs,tektronix,ucbvax}!zehntel!pinot!bobm

gadfly@ihu1m.UUCP (Gadfly) (12/20/84)

--
I ride year round in the Chicago area, as I did for 6 years before
in Madison, Wis.  It's easier down here not because it's warmer,

I had a suit tailor-made out of the heaviest Gore-Tex available.
It's 2-piece, and the top has sweatshirt-cut sleeves and has no
fasteners--it's pull-over, with a fairly tight neck.  There are
thus only the 2 sleeve seams (well sealed) presented to the wind.

Inside both upper and lower pieces are removable inner liners--
forming a sort-of sweater and pants of Thinsulate (tm) sewn into
rip-stop nylon.  The pants were cut about 3 inches too long so
they don't ride up when in riding position.  This 4-piece modularity
allows this suit to function as a regular rain suit as well as cold
weather gear.

The suit is so warm that I don't need the pants liners unless
it's colder than 10-below (F).  In fact, it keeps the wind out
so well that I don't need the top liner over about 35 F.  It is
hard to get in and out of, however, with the tight-fitting neck.

For my hands, I picked up these Conroy ski gloves--leather outside
with Gore-Tex underneath and Thinsulate lining.  Very warm, though
not as water-proof as they claim.  Rain gets through the rather
thin weight Gore-Tex they use if there's any hard wind pressure.  When
they wear out (which will take some years--they're well made), I'll
get some tailor-made mittens.  You need to keep the fingers huddled
together for warmth below about 10 F.

Since almost all body cooling while riding comes from air intrusion
and not poor insulation, I recommend a pull-over style, heavy
windbreaker over any jacket with a zipper or an insulation-filled,
rip-stop nylon garment.  It's cheaper too.  With no air intrusion,
there is no wind chill.  (Real men never count the wind chill.)

What I'd like to know from all-weather riders out there (hello?)
is (1) are there any full-face helmets that don't ice up? and
(2) has anyone come up with a snappy response to that same question,
day in and day out, every goddamn morning in the elevator, "Isn't
it cold out there?"  AAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHH!
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

bruce@garfield.UUCP (Bruce Keats) (12/21/84)

In article <167@ihu1m.UUCP> gadfly@ihu1m.UUCP (Gadfly) writes:
>(2) has anyone come up with a snappy response to that same question,
>day in and day out, every goddamn morning in the elevator, "Isn't
>it cold out there?"  AAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHH!
>--
>                    *** ***
>JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****
>                 ****** ******  20 Dec 84 [30 Frimaire An CXCIII]
>ken perlow       *****   *****
>(312)979-7188     ** ** ** **
>..ihnp4!iwsl8!ken   *** ***

	How about, "Not in California".

--------
	Bruce Keats, Memorial Univ. of Nfld., St. John's, Nfld.
UUCP:	{allegra,ihnp4,philabs,utcsrgv,masscomp,cbosgd}!garfield!bruce

ena@pyramid.UUCP (Eric Aubery) (12/29/84)

What I wear:

	Summer: Leather Jacket, Gloves, Helmet.

	Winter: Leather Jacket ( with lining ),
		Commando Sweater,
		Nylon Wind-breaker pants,
		Gloves ( Same as Summer, unlined Deerskin )
		Helmet,
		and a Bandana around the neck.

The only thing I might change is to get lined gloves. Also when it rains
I take the jacket off, and put a rainsuit on instead. As you say the
weather is pretty mild around Northern California.

	Eric N. Aubery	pyramid!ena

	{ dual }!pyramid!ena
	Pyramid Technology Corporation, Mtn. View Califonia
--
	Eric N. Aubery	pyramid!ena

	{ dual }!pyramid!ena
	Pyramid Technology Corporation, Mtn. View Califonia

noah@uiucdcs.UUCP (01/16/85)

This message is empty.

tatge@hpfcms.UUCP (tatge) (01/18/85)

Rather than reply, based on your order of priorities I'd rather
sell you on a new first priority... protection.  Let's say right
from the start that I'm being a little hypocritical because I don't
always practice this.  Fortunately, I've only lain my bike down
once when I wasn't wearing leather and that was a very mild slide.
As for the three or four times I've crashed while roadracing, I
can only say that I cherish my leathers and helmet above most of
my earthly possessions.

Depending on where you are riding and how fast, there is a leather
jacket and pants that will suit your need.  Like I said, even though
I think I should, I don't always wear my leathers in the summer
for easy riding.  But there are plenty of times when leather
is not only the safest thing you can wear, it is quite comfortable
also.

                   George Tatge
		   Fort Collins, CO
		   {hplabs | ihnp4}!hpfcla!tatge

jerem@tekgvs.UUCP (Jere Marrs) (01/26/85)

	I want to underline the article from George Tatge recently on NET.CYCLE

	I find that leather is just about the best all-around clothing material
for motorcycling. There are many fine garments available to deal with extreme
weather, but for the best SINGLE choice, leather wins.

	Riding in the Northwest presents just about every kind of weather
condition, many of which can occur on the same riding day. Rainsuits deal with
wet weather fine, but I found myself in The Dalles, Ore. once when it began t
rain. I had my leathers on, and I decided to ride on back to Portland (about
50 miles). It rained the entire way, and when I arrived home, I was only
slightly wet around the seams in my jacket. I treat my leathers regularly with
Langlitz Leather dressing, and that prevented any damage to the leather itself.
A longer ride would have represented a problem, but leather got me through that
one. I have ridden in reasonably cold weather (low thirties) in my leathers
with long underwear for most of the day. I tried riding in Montana in the 20s
with leathers but no longies, and I became hypothermic until the hot coffee in
Libby. So I needed winter clothing then, but leather got me (shiver) through.

	Warm weather presents the fewest options. The tendency is to take
things off. However, I have found that I can wear my leathers up to about 85
degrees without soffocating. Of course, stopping for the inevitable road
repairs (why is it always around Roseburg, Ore. - the hottest place in the
state?) creates problems. An unlined nylon jacket made of, say, Cordura (R)
nylon is probably a better choice for hot weather. It is resistant to
abrasive wear if you should happen to 'step off' in hot weather.

	So leather has the widest "dynamic range" of any clothing for motor-
cycling. They needn't be fearsome looking either. There are a number of
very fashionable leather outfilts available.

	Leather has protected me on several spills and retained its looks
and function.

	I had a Maitre d' hang up my Langlitz jacket once in a very exclusive
French restaurant at Domaine Chandon Winery in Napa Valley. So, it CAN be
done! It turned out the Maitre d' was a biker too and I got good service.

	Looking forward to the Summer...

					-Jere M. Marrs
					Tektronix, Inc.
					Beaverton, Oregon
					tektronix!tekgvs!jerem

ron@wjvax.UUCP (Ron Christian) (01/30/85)

>degrees without soffocating. Of course, stopping for the inevitable road
>repairs (why is it always around Roseburg, Ore. - the hottest place in the
>state?) creates problems. An unlined nylon jacket made of, say, Cordura (R)
>nylon is probably a better choice for hot weather. It is resistant to
>abrasive wear if you should happen to 'step off' in hot weather.
>
>				-Jere M. Marrs

Well, there's a problem with nylon.  During a get-off, you tend to slide
some, and this builds up a lot of heat in local areas.  Nylon melts.
So besides road rash, you're picking a fused nylon/skin mixture out of
your arms....

(This is per a "Best of 198something" cycle magazine.  It's at home.)

Try a good denim jacket in the summer.  It's a little cooler than leather,
and, I have heard, is second only to leather for protection.
--

	Ron Christian  (Watkins-Johnson Co.  San Jose, Calif.)
	{pesnta,twg,ios,qubix,turtlevax,tymix}!wjvax!ron

grego@athena.UUCP (Grego Sanguinetti) (02/01/85)

	I second the opinion on Denim. I have been wearing Levis jackets,
in the summer, some time now and find them to be quite comfortable.
I have one jacket that has spent it's share of time sliding on pavement
with only minor seam breakage. I think heavey Denim is better than
light weight leather. It also breaths better.
	Now all I have to do is replace/paint my black helmet before my
brain boils!

					Grego Sanguinetti
					Tektronix, Logic Design Systems

uucp:   {ucbcad,decvax,pur-ee,cbosg,ihnss}!tektronix!teklds!grego
CSnet:  grego@tek
ARPAnet:grego.tek@rand-relay

dave@rocksvax.UUCP (02/01/85)

/***** rocksvax:net.cycle / tekgvs!jerem /  2:09 am  Jan 26, 1985*/

>	So leather has the widest "dynamic range" of any clothing for motor-
>cycling. They needn't be fearsome looking either. There are a number of

	I agree, I found them good to about 32 to 80 F.  A wee bit hot
	when stopped at lights near 80.

>	Leather has protected me on several spills and retained its looks
>and function.

	Saved my hide.  Only damage was from the ambulance guy who
	cut them open to peer at my leg.

>	I had a Maitre d' hang up my Langlitz jacket once in a very exclusive
>French restaurant at Domaine Chandon Winery in Napa Valley. So, it CAN be
>done! It turned out the Maitre d' was a biker too and I got good service.

	Always intersting to wear the bike jacket.  Many places here
	say "come in here with that!!"  I usually point out that he is
	right the jacket could attack someone, and if it is not raining
	hard or otherwise nasty and leave, say something to the effect,
	"yes, these jackets are dangerous, I will leave it in the
	vehicle, but it's OK that I come in here right?.  I wouldn't
	want my jacket to attack someone."  I often wonder if Micheal
	Jackson would be denied entrance to places like that for his
	jacket!?

Dave

arpa: Sewhuk.HENR@Xerox.ARPA
uucp: {allegra,rochester,amd,sunybcs}!rocksvax!dave

jcgowl@ihlpg.UUCP (r. gowland) (02/05/85)

> >	I had a Maitre d' hang up my Langlitz jacket once in a very exclusive
> >French restaurant at Domaine Chandon Winery in Napa Valley. So, it CAN be
> >done! It turned out the Maitre d' was a biker too and I got good service.
>
> 	Always intersting to wear the bike jacket.  Many places here
> 	say "come in here with that!!"  I usually point out that he is
> 	right the jacket could attack someone, and if it is not raining

Yes, its the same throughout most of the UK. I am not a biker
(have friends who are) but I do own two leather jackets. The
number of places, especially dance-halls, which say NO to a
leather jacket is ridiculous. My leather jackets cost a lot of
money, are smart, warm and comfortable, why does this make me
undesirable?
--
anything herein expressed is my views not those of my employer
ihlpg!jcgowl Roger R. Gowland at AT&T Bell Labs, Indian Hill