[net.cycle] First bikes, Honda CB450's

kehoe@reed.UUCP (Dave Kehoe) (04/14/85)

     I bought my first bike last  August  --  a  1972  Honda
CB450.   I'm  very happy with it, and I highly recommend old
Japanese bikes in general and the CB450 in particular  as  a
first bike to anyone who is mechanically inclined.
     I strongly *do not* recommend an old bike to anyone who
does not enjoy doing maintenance and repairs.
     I paid $100 for the CB450.  It had a dead  transmission
and  over  30,000  miles on it.  I spent another $250 on new
transmission parts, getting the valves ground, new  O-rings,
battery, etc.  It took several long weekends to get the bike
running, but it runs beautifully  now.   I  also  learned  a
great deal about motorcycles.
     I then spent $150 on a Bell Star LTD helmet  (a  luxury
--  you  can get a good helmet for under $100); $100 on Con-
tinental Twin tires (a  necessity);  $86/year  on  insurance
(make sure you get "uninsured motorist" coverage); $40 on my
license, title, etc.; $40 on  good  gloves  (another  neces-
sity).   The  bike  came  with  a  fairing,  crashbars,  and
saddlebags.  So I spent about $800 in all.  If I were  going
on  a long tour, I'd also buy a leather jacket, trousers and
boots ($500 - $600, I might skip the jacket because I have a
heavy cloth jacket); a new chain and sprockets ($100); and a
good toolkit ($?).
     In about 2000 miles, I've had to replace the studs that
hold  the  rear  sprocket on, and last weekend I had to take
the right crankcase cover off  to  replace  a  bolt  that  I
hadn't  tightened  properly  when I put the new transmission
in.  I've also had to do  lots  of  routine  maintenance  --
tightening the chain, replacing fork oil, etc.
     If you're thinking of buying a old  bike,  think  about
whether  you  want  to  work on it.  You can get a new Honda
CB450T Nighthawk or CM450 for $1100 -- $1300.   These  bikes
need  little  maintenance and (with a warranty) no repairs.
I know a *lot* of people who bought old bikes, had something
minor  (or  major)  go  wrong,  and now the bike sits in the
garage gathering dust.  I seem to be  the  only  person  who
thinks nothing of pulling a crankcase apart.
     If you buy a used bike, change the oil, fork oil, brake
fluid,  and  lubricate  the  chain.  Assume that he previous
owner did no maintenance.  Tune up the bike.  Look  it  over
*very*  carefully  -- I found on my bike that the long bolts
in the forks weren't attached to the big nuts on top of  the
forks, i.e. the forks weren't actually bolted on.
     Also, ask people (or post on net.cycle) about bikes you
are considering.  For example, Honda CB350's are supposed to
be great bikes, but CB360T's are notoriously bad.   Kawasaki
KZ650's are real quick, but hard to start.
     Also, ask about handling, etc.  The CB450 has excellent
low  speed  handling  (most  important for a beginner), good
high speed handling,  good  power  (43  horsepower,  0-60mph
acceleration  in about 4 seconds), an excellent broad power-
band, and is heavy enough (430 pounds) to be stable  on  the
road.
     Good luck with your tour!

chuck@anwar.UUCP (chuck jann) (04/17/85)

[]

> From: kehoe@reed.UUCP (Dave Kehoe)
>      Also, ask people (or post on net.cycle) about bikes you
> are considering.  For example, Honda CB350's are supposed to
> be great bikes, but CB360T's are notoriously bad.   Kawasaki
> KZ650's are real quick, but hard to start.

  KZ650's hard to start? My KZ650 (1979 with >30,000 miles) NEVER
  takes more than 2 kicks to start.

  Other than that one point I agree with what you had to say.

  IT'S FINALLY SPRING !! TIME TO RIDE !!!!!!!!!!!

--

UUCP address:	{ihnp4,decvax,allegra}!philabs!hhb!chuck

A UNIHORN DOES NOT A UNICORN MAKE