[net.cycle] Tires, or lack thereof...

pauldan@hou2e.UUCP (P.SAUNDERS) (05/03/85)

<>
The other day I was out riding my Sabre, and I passed by someone changing
the flat tire on their car.  Hmmm.

What does one do when one gets a flat tire on ones motorcycle?  I guess
I know the answer, but I'd like to hear it just to be sure.

Thanks.

Dan Masi

gadfly@ihu1m.UUCP (Gadfly) (05/03/85)

--
> The other day I was out riding my Sabre, and I passed by someone
> changing the flat tire on their car.  Hmmm.
>
> What does one do when one gets a flat tire on ones motorcycle?
> I guess I know the answer, but I'd like to hear it just to be sure.
>
> Thanks.
> Dan Masi

I'll tell you what you *don't* do--never patch a tube, except as a
last ditch measure to get to a place you can buy a new one.  If
you're riding any great distance, especially through remote sorts
of territory, carry a spare tube so you won't ever have to ride on
a patched one.  If you're worried about dealing with flats, go
outside today and change your tires.  It does take a little
practice to get the new tube and tire on without the latter pinching
the former.

If you've got them new-fangled tubeless tires, changing one is a lot
harder, as you need a supply of compressed air to make a good seal.
You might travel with a can of one of those pressurized leak-stop
compounds.  Someone already posted asking for reviews of the various
brands.
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

marauder@fluke.UUCP (Bill Landsborough) (05/07/85)

In article <566@hou2e.UUCP> pauldan@hou2e.UUCP (P.SAUNDERS) writes:
><>
>The other day I was out riding my Sabre, and I passed by someone changing
>the flat tire on their car.  Hmmm.
>
>What does one do when one gets a flat tire on ones motorcycle?  I guess
>I know the answer, but I'd like to hear it just to be sure.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Dan Masi

   Yes, it sounds like you know the answer.  But there are way to make
it less painful.  Be prepared!  When you plan to go for more than a 20
mile ride I would suggest the following:
* Adequate tools, of course, to change a tire.  Since 90% of all flats
  will be on the rear tire, have all of the tools to be able to remove
  the rear tire.  ( The reason you get flats such as nails and sharp
  objects on the rear is because this nail is just lying flat and happy
  on the pavement or dirt and some stupid front tire comes along and flips
  it upright just in time for the rear tire to hit it and drive it home)
* If you have the room, carry a spare tube, even if you run tubeless tires.
  A tube can make up for many ills in a tubeless tire.  And if you do have
  tubeless tires, get a patch kit for tubeless tires and leave it in the
  package and put it somewhere on the bike.
* Carry a way to inflate the tire.  I have never had any luck with the
  inflation cans but I know people who have.  I carry one of those one
  way hoses which connect to one of your spare cylinders (You still have
  several left to run the motorcycle hopefully) and run to the tire.
  They work neat.

  Maybe a little preventative measures would not hurt either.  I heard
(and believe) that 80% of all tire failures occur in the last 10% of a
tires life.  The tread is thin and even sharp rocks can get in the tread
and "saw" their way in.  Throw the tire away when it gets down towards
the worn look, especially if you have plans to go on that real fun ride
with several people.  Many of my fun group rides were marred by several
hours spent over a rear tire. And all too many of those were over my bikes
rear tire...

  Carrying all of this stuff and doing all of this planning is nothing
compared to when you have to park your bike on the side of the road,
and walk away with the wheel in your hand, hoping and praying that your
life long investment will be there when you return!!

Bill Landsborough

--

"Greater is He that is in me, than he that is in the world."  1John 4:4

bob@vaxwaller.UUCP (Bob Palin) (05/07/85)

> What does one do when one gets a flat tire on ones motorcycle?  I guess
> I know the answer, but I'd like to hear it just to be sure.

I suppose the answer is obvious, take the wheel off and walk or hitch a ride.

Last year on my annual trip around these western parts I got a flat on my
Sabre while fully loaded and two up, fortunately we were at a gas station
when it occured.
This was the second flat I have had, the other being at home,
and on the first ocasion I took the wheel down to the local dealer and
he installed a tube warning me that motorcycle tyres could not be fixed like
car tyres.
However, as the nearest motorcycle dealer was several hundred miles
away I persuaded the gas station mechanic to patch my tyre right there ( he
wasn't keen on working on an alloy wheel and made it clear that he would not
be responsible if it was damaged ). Anyway he fixed it just like he would a
car tyre and off we went.  I covered the 700 miles home quite quickly
( over 80mph fully loaded at times ) without any problem.

So, has anybody had a problem with tyres fixed at gas stations ?  It appears
to be much cheaper than paying a cycle dealer to install a tube, specially
as the tube is an expensive one made for tubeless tyres.  I rode more than
7000 miles on that fixed tyre with no hint of trouble so what is the problem ?

An additional thing I learnt in that episode was about the use of those
pressurised flat fixers you can get in a small can.  I had one with me and
tried to use it before letting the gas man fix it.  I don't know if this
stuff really works but it didn't this time.  Part of the nail which
punctured my tyre was still sticking out inside the tyre and would re-open
the wound every time the wheel went round.  This was not apparent from the
outside so if you try to use this stuff make sure the offending weapon is
completely removed ( I leave it up to your ingenuity to discover how ! ).

Bob Palin, Varian Instruments, Walnut Creek, Ca.  (415) 945-2278

lef@nlm-vax.ARPA (Larry Fitzpatrick) (05/08/85)

In article <hou2e.566> pauldan@hou2e.UUCP (P.SAUNDERS) writes:
><>
>The other day I was out riding my Sabre, and I passed by someone changing
>the flat tire on their car.  Hmmm.
>
>What does one do when one gets a flat tire on ones motorcycle?  I guess
>I know the answer, but I'd like to hear it just to be sure.

One of the following (that I have had to do - with tubeless tires)
	a) ride home on the flat (easier if its a rear wheel flat)
	   not recommended, but ok for cheap bike and short distances
	b) remove tire, leave the bike on blocks, hitch or walk home
	   or to cycle shop with the tire in hand, get it repaired/replaced
	   hitch/walk/ride back and replace
	c) luckily riding with a friend who takes your tire directly to
	   the shop for you and has it repaired while you wait with
	   your disabled bike (helps to have tire irons with you).

others ?

bruce@garfield.UUCP (Bruce Keats) (05/10/85)

In article <566@hou2e.UUCP> pauldan@hou2e.UUCP (P.SAUNDERS) writes:
><>
>The other day I was out riding my Sabre, and I passed by someone changing
>the flat tire on their car.  Hmmm.
>
>What does one do when one gets a flat tire on ones motorcycle?  I guess
>I know the answer, but I'd like to hear it just to be sure.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Dan Masi

	I carry a puncture sealant for just such an occasion.  I use
a product called "Cycle Spare" that is available at a local bike shop.
The manufacturer claims that it should seal most small punctures.
I have used it on a couple of occasions and it worked well enough to
allow me to get the bike home where I could change the tube.

--------
	Bruce Keats, Memorial Univ. of Nfld., St. John's, Nfld.
UUCP:	{allegra,ihnp4,philabs,utcsrgv,masscomp,cbosgd}!garfield!bruce
CDNNET:	bruce@garfield.mun.cdn

darryl@ISM780.UUCP (05/13/85)

[]
My last bike had tube tires.  I always carried a spare tube and a hand
pump.  I had two punctures, both on Sundays.  The first one was 1.5 miles
from home, and after struggling to break the bead, getting the new tube in
place, and then being unable to get the tire back onto the rim, I pushed
it home.  The other time a friend picked me up and together we changed
the tire in his garage (the spare tube was still useful).  Rather than
use the hand pump, he had a pump that works off your engine compression
(replaces the spark plug).  That worked fine, even seated the bead properly.

My current mount has tubless tires.  I have a tubless patch kit that
contains three plugs, cement, and three CO2 cartridges.  Sure seems
simpler, but no track record as of yet (knock wood!).

	    --Darryl Richman, INTERACTIVE Systems Corp.
	    ...!cca!ima!ism780!darryl
	    The views expressed above are my opinions only.

P.S.  If you use one of the engine compression type pumps, start out by
turning off your fuel, run the engine dry, remove your plugs, connect
one cylinder up and run the starter to pump your tire.  Given the following
caveats, this avoids putting fuel/air mixture into your tires:  don't
do this if you have a fuel injection system, it hurts the injectors;
don't do this if your battery is weak; if you have a vacuum fuel system,
(Seca 750s?) you may not be able to turn off the fuel.  After you are
done pumping, wait a few minutes to remove the pump -- it gets quite warm.

hsc@mtuxo.UUCP (h.cohen) (05/16/85)

>If you're worried about dealing with flats, go
>outside today and change your tires.  It does take a little
>practice to get the new tube and tire on without the latter pinching
>the former.
By all means practice getting your front and rear wheels off and on,
so that you can get the offending tire to a shop.
***DON'T TRY TO CHANGE A TIRE ON AN ALLOY RIM, though.***
It's very difficult to do without scarring the rim.

lrd@drusd.UUCP (L. R. DuBroff) (05/17/85)

>	P.S.  If you use one of the engine compression type pumps,
>	start out by turning off your fuel, run the engine dry,
>	remove your plugs, connect one cylinder up and run the starter
>	to pump your tire.  Given the following caveats, this avoids
>	putting fuel/air mixture into your tires:  don't do this if
>	you have a fuel injection system, it hurts the injectors;
>	don't do this if your battery is weak;
>
>		--Darryl Richman, INTERACTIVE Systems Corp.

And, DON'T do this ("remove your plugs ... and run the starter") if
you have a solid state ignition system, unless you know it's safe.
I refer specifically to the pointless ignition systems supplied on
BMW twins from 1981 on.  The ignition "black box" will self-destruct
if it fires into an open circuit (disconnected spark plugs)!

hsc@mtuxo.UUCP (h.cohen) (05/18/85)

Good grief!  How do you guys use the toaster in the morning without
hurting yourselves?
1)  A compression-driven pump that replaces the spark plug has
two chambers.  The fuel-air mix goes out the bike's exhaust port;
only fresh air goes into the tire.
2)  When you take out the spark plug and screw in the pump,
put the plug wire back on the spark plug and ground the body of the
plug (e.g., by laying on the cylinder head).
This gives all those kilovolts somewhere to go, as usual.
3)  Don't turn off the gas, etc.; just run the engine!
This is much easier on the battery.
If you have an electric-start single, turn off the kill switch
and you don't have to worry about the ignition components.
Harvey S. Cohen
   "Stupidity got us into this mess.  Why can't it get us out?"
					- Will Rogers

darryl@ISM780.UUCP (05/19/85)

>>       P.S.  If you use one of the engine compression type pumps,
>>       start out by turning off your fuel, run the engine dry,
>>       remove your plugs, connect one cylinder up and run the starter
>>       to pump your tire.
>>
>>               --Darryl Richman, INTERACTIVE Systems Corp.

>And, DON'T do this ("remove your plugs ... and run the starter") if
>you have a solid state ignition system, unless you know it's safe.
>I refer specifically to the pointless ignition systems supplied on
>BMW twins from 1981 on.  The ignition "black box" will self-destruct
>if it fires into an open circuit (disconnected spark plugs)!

Hmmm.  You make a very good point (!), and I think I agree with you, but
I did this on my 1982 BMW R65 with no problems.  Just lucky, I guess.
Of course, you could remove the plugs from the cylinders and lay them,
still connected, so that they were grounded, right?  Just don't get
too close.