[net.cycle] Seeking info on Suzuki GS850 & Honda CB900F

norcott@cca.UUCP (Bill Norcott) (06/03/85)

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MOTORCYCLE ***
	Hello, I'm trying to decide between the 1981 Suzuki GS850 & the
same year Honda CB900F.  Has anyone owned either of the two models, or
can anybody give me some info on these two bikes?

todds@orca.UUCP (Todd Stewart) (06/08/85)

In article <2784@cca.UUCP> norcott@cca.UUCP (Bill Norcott) writes:
>Hello, I'm trying to decide between the 1981 Suzuki GS850 & the
>same year Honda CB900F...

My neighbor and I ride a 1982 GS850-G and a 1979 GS1000-N.
The GS850-G is set up for sport touring with stock bars, windsheild,
Continentals, and shaft drive.  The GS1000-N is set up like the CB900F
with a flat handlebar, no fairing, Dunlops, and chain drive.  Both
bikes appear to use the same basic frame, forks, seat, tank, dash,
engine cases, head, etc.

The two bikes exhibit very different personalities based on handling
more than engine size.  We've had good luck with both these bikes,
and recommend them highly.

Weak points:
--	The single front disk on the GS1000 fades slightly under
	hard sport riding.  Neither bike has any anti-dive hardware.

--	The GS1000 eats an #620 O-ring chain every 8,000 miles.
	The dealer says this is unusual, and is probably a result
	of my basic laziness.  The GS850 has never needed any shaft
	maintenance.

--	Suzukis are famous for a vibration in a narrow band between
	4200-4500 rpm.  This isn't serious, but is out of character
	with the otherwise smooth performance of the bike.  Switching
	to a padded handlebar grip and tightening up the loose fiberglass
	body parts keeps this problem in line.

--	The Suzuki alternator on the 8-valve engine is weak.  I run a
	75w Halogen headlight, my friend runs a stereo.  Neither bike
	makes enough juice to run both.  The alternators on the newer
	16-valve engines don't have this problem.

--	Hard riding gulps fuel at about 30mpg.

Strong points:
--	With sport tires and chain drive, the GS1000 is fun in the
	twisties.  Cornering is light and predictable, though not as
	immediate as the newer 16" front wheel bikes.  There's enough
	ground clearance to get down to the edges of the tires before
	you touch pegs.  Overall weight is reasonable at 485 lbs,
	and the after-market flat bar improves rider position for
	the fast stuff.  The broad power-band pays off in those short
	"straights" between the corners.

	The shaft drive, upright position, and stiff tires make the
	GS850 feel heavier.  The shaft setup handles well enough,
	but is not really in the same league.

--	The stock seat is thick and firm, providing good support
	for all day rides.  The tank is wide enough to grip with your
	knees, but doesn't get in the way when you want to "hang off".

--	Suzuki shows a quality and attention to detail that exceeds
	that of the big-volume companies.  There are a lot of cast
	or welded-in fittings that could probably have been done with
	bent sheetmetal.

--	The Suzuki DOHC 8-valve motor is extremely reliable with no
	flimsy gadgets to break or fuss with.  The valves are shim-
	type and stay in adjustment more than twice the service interval.
	The electronic ignition used since 1980 works well and needs
	less attention than the points in my 1979.  Both the 850 and
	1000 cc versions produce plenty of torque from 2500 to 7500 rpm.
	Red line is a conservative 8500.

	At 40,000 miles the GS1000 smoked its alternator when the main wiring
	harness wore through its insualation under the tank.  Otherwise,
	it's needed only routine tuneups, drive chains, brake pads, and tires.
	At 8,000 miles the GS850 has needed only tuneups.

The CB900F Honda is no slouch either of course.  If the Suzuki you're looking
at is the shafty (G model), I'd go with the Honda.  If its one of the chain
drives (E, ES models) I'd buy the Suzuki in a minute.

	"Don't follow anybody"

--

	Todd Stewart
	(503) 685 2508

	{ ucbcad,decvax,hplabs,uw-beaver }!tektronix!orca!todds