[net.cycle] steering problems

srneely@watcgl.UUCP (Shawn Neely) (05/30/85)

Here's one for the troubleshooters in the audience.
I have a '77 Honda CB750K with a Windjammer II fairing. When I take my hands
off the bars, the bike pulls left, more than I can compensate for by leaning
to the right within reason. The tires are not low on tread, the pressure is
correct, the spokes were tightened to spec recently as was the steering head
bearings. So why the pull? Fairing crooked? Tires unbalanced? Frame bent?
If I ride with just my right hand on the bars it takes only a slight
downward pressure to keep the bike straight. With two hands I don't even
notice any uneven-ness.

Here's a handy tip for chain lubing: put your gear oil or spray (for O-ringless
chains) on the rear sprocket so that it runs downward and into the links of
the chain rather than just on the rollers. (I second the opinion of the guy
who said he liked handy tips in addition to tech analyses etc.)

Re recent discussions on tire blowouts and wipeouts, I've had neither in
4 years of riding. Is this exception or rule? Knock wood time?

neal@fear.UUCP (Neal Bedard) (06/04/85)

In article <1933@watcgl.UUCP>, srneely@watcgl.UUCP (Shawn Neely) writes:
> Here's one for the troubleshooters in the audience.
> I have a '77 Honda CB750K with a Windjammer II fairing. When I take my hands
> off the bars, the bike pulls left, more than I can compensate for by leaning
> to the right within reason. The tires are not low on tread, the pressure is
> correct, the spokes were tightened to spec recently as was the steering head
> bearings. So why the pull? Fairing crooked? Tires unbalanced? Frame bent?
> If I ride with just my right hand on the bars it takes only a slight
> downward pressure to keep the bike straight. With two hands I don't even
> notice any uneven-ness.

Rear wheel lined up in the swingarm? Check with boards on either side of both
wheels, or just eyeball it.

-Neal B.

tatge@hpfcms.UUCP (06/11/85)

I would suggest you start by removing the fairing and seeing if that
has any effect on the problem.  If not, put it back on, and check the
tire balance (I'd start with the fairing because it is more likely).

What type of tire is it?  Some tread patterns can cause such things
after a certain amount of wear.

Even though you've torqued the steering head to spec you may need
to pull it apart and check the bearings.  If you do this you might
as well put in new ones (I suggest switching to tapered rollers)
since it's a bit of a job.

                   George Tatge
		   Fort Collins, CO
		   ihnp4!hpfcla!tatge

p.s. Today's Safety Tip

	When riding with no hands always make sure you are in your
	garage and the bike is on the center stand.