[net.cycle] Suzuki turnsignal problem

johnson@uwvax.UUCP (Coni Johnson) (06/15/85)

Help!  I just bought my first cycle a few weeks ago.  I bought it used--a
1981 Suzuki GN400X with 3800 miles on it.  Everything seems like new on it
except that the turnsignals only blink when the engine is running at 3500
RPMs or more.  The girl I bought it from said it's been like that since she
bought it new--why she didn't have it repaired on warranty, I'll never know--and
the repair shop I took it to said that the battery simply doesn't have enough
power.  I've had the battery fully charged, and can't fit a larger one in the
little space on my bike.  Does anyone have any suggestions to solve my
problem?  I'd like my turnsignals to work properly, of course, in traffic
situations.

If I sound ignorant about this, it's because I'm just learning...please, be
kind.

				 Thanks for any help you can give me,

				 Coni Johnson

rep@panda.UUCP (06/17/85)

Newsgroups: net.cycle
Subject: Re: turnsignal problem
In article <220@uwvax.UUCP> johnson@uwvax.UUCP writes:
>*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***
>
>Help!  I just bought my first cycle a few weeks ago.  I bought it used--a
>1981 Suzuki GN400X with 3800 miles on it.  Everything seems like new on it
>except that the turnsignals only blink when the engine is running at 3500
>RPMs or more.  The girl I bought it from said it's been like that since she
>bought it new--why she didn't have it repaired on warranty, I'll never know--and
>the repair shop I took it to said that the battery simply doesn't have enough
>power.  I've had the battery fully charged, and can't fit a larger one in the
>little space on my bike.  Does anyone have any suggestions to solve my
>problem?  I'd like my turnsignals to work properly, of course, in traffic
>situations.

If what's happening is that the turn signals just come on and don't blink off,
I've seen the same problem in Hondas (mine and at least three others).  The
problem seems to be caused by the fact that the bulbs don't draw enough current
to cause the bi-metallic flasher to heat properly.  At higher engine speeds, you
get more alternator output and the flasher works ok.  Using higher current bulbs
has cured the problem in all cases that I've seen. If the original bulbs are
1073's and 1034's, replace them with 1156's and 1157's respectively (obtainable
from auto parts stores or such places as K-M(ap)ART).  Although the difference
in operating current is only about 10% or so ( I don't have the exact specs
here at work) the difference in operation of the turn signals is spectacular.

I  have no explanation for why they don't use bulbs suited to the flashers or
flashers suited to the bulbs in the first place!

			Pete Peterson