[net.cycle] tires

pauldan@hou2e.UUCP (P.SAUNDERS) (05/07/85)

<<>>
Thanks to everyone who responded to my plea for help regarding flat tires.
Unfortunately, I guess that I should have mentioned that my tires are tubeless,
since most of the responses were of the 'tube-type'.  Guess I'll have to carry
a can of "super fix-it"!

Dan Masi

gadfly@ihu1m.UUCP (Gadfly) (05/07/85)

--
> Thanks to everyone who responded to my plea for help regarding flat
> tires.  Unfortunately, I guess that I should have mentioned that my
> tires are tubeless, since most of the responses were of the 'tube-
> type'.  Guess I'll have to carry a can of "super fix-it"!
>
> Dan Masi

Now you've got me wondering--is it possible to put tube tires on
tubeless rims?  The disadvantages of tubeless tires are obvious
when you've got a flat--are there any clear advantages in handling,
resistance to puncture, or useful life?
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

shallman@drutx.UUCP (ShallmanJT) (05/08/85)

I have tubless tires on my Yamaha XS750SF.  Right now I am running
with a tube in the rear tire because of problems with my most recent
tire's bead not seating well.  The tire was balanced with the tube
installed so I have no problems with tire balance.  Before using the
tube full time, I always carried a tube as a spare to throw on the
tire in case of a flat.

I got the idea a few years ago when I took a flattened tire into my
local shop only to find that, since the puncture was on the curved part
of the tire, it could not be patched.  The mechanic suggested that I
put a tube in it since the tire was relatively new.  After that, I put
another 5000 miles on the tire with no problems.  Ever since then I've
carried a tube as a spare.

Hope this helps ...

James Shallman
ATTISL Denver

todds@orca.UUCP (Todd Stewart) (05/08/85)

In article <416@ihu1m.UUCP> gadfly@ihu1m.UUCP (Gadfly) writes:

>Now you've got me wondering--is it possible to put tube tires on
>tubeless rims?  The disadvantages of tubeless tires are obvious
>when you've got a flat--are there any clear advantages in handling,
>resistance to puncture, or useful life?

Tubes add extra internal friction as well as reduced cooling.
The extra heat reduces maximum safe riding speed.

My old GS1000 Suzuki has spoke wheels so I have to run with tubes.
This means that my V rated Sport Elites with tubes are reduced to
not much better than an H rated tire without tubes.

-------
Todd Stewart
(503) 685 2508

UUCP:{allegra, decvax, ihnp4, orstcs, ucbvax, zehntel, ogcvax, reed, uw-beaver,       hplabs }!tektronix!orca!todds
--
-------
Todd Stewart
(503) 685 2508

UUCP:{allegra, decvax, ihnp4, orstcs, ucbvax, zehntel, ogcvax, reed, uw-beaver,       hplabs }!tektronix!orca!todds

blanchard@beta.DEC (DENNIS BLANCHARD 264-5813) (05/10/85)

Hi Folks:

	Just wanted to make a few quick comments on tires and problems
around them.  Having many years experience with flats, a patch is only a
temporary fix, replace the tube as soon as possible!  Enough on that.

	If your machine doesn't have tire tools ( at one time they all
did), get some, tires are very easy to remove and replace, the larger they
are the better, dirt bike tires can be a BEAR to remove!  The best tire
tools on the market are the ones that BMW sells (approx. $18 two years
ago).  It comes with a tire pump thats not too good, but the tools and
lubricant (to make the tire slide back on the rim easier) are really worth
the money.  All my Honda riding friends buy them, and wouldn't be caught
dead without them.

	When putting a tube back in a tire that has had a puncture, if the
puncture was of any size more than a pin head, (or nail), replace the tire,
I know it hurts, but do it.  What happens is the small or large slit
created by the puncture turns into a small nibbler that chews on the tube
with the flexing action of the tire and twice in twenty years I had
blow-outs due to this.  IF and only if you could get some sort of positive
patch device to totally cover the hole and keep it very smooth should you
attempt to reuse the tire.  Just be sure!

	To lubricate the tire for replacement on the rim, liquid soap can
be used in place of the above mentioned product with good results.

				Have fun and safe riding!

				Dennis Blanchard
				Hampstead, N.H.

K1YPP

tatge@hpfcms.UUCP (tatge) (05/15/85)

Flat tires are definitely bad news on a bike.  I wish the Japanese would
put some serious R&D into it.

Note: All comments apply to tubeless tires unless specified otherwise.

1. Once a motorcycle tire has been punctured it should be thrown away.
This is the basic rule of thumb even if it sounds rather drastic.  Let's
face it, there are some concesions that one has to make for the joy of
riding and tires are one of them.  The only possible exeception to this
is putting a tube into a tubeless tire that has been mildly punctured.

2. Any emergency roadside or gas station type of repair should only be
used to get you slowly and safely to the next motorcycle shop where you
can get a new tire (or at the least a tube).  Sure, it is possible to
go 7000 miles on a patched tubeless tire.  So what?  You can also go
5 out of 6 playing Russian roulette on a good day.

3. In light of one and two, it makes little difference if you use a
patch or some kind of goop.  You just want to take it slow and easy to
the closest place to get a new tire.

4. As for the advantages of tubeless tires, in a word it is temperature.
All things being equal, a tubeless tire will run cooler and at a more
even temperature than a tube type.  This helps wear and handling
predictability.

                   George Tatge
		   Fort Collins, CO
		   ihnp4!hpfcla!tatge

valencia@vger.UUCP (05/20/85)

  Back in the good old days of my '67 Bug, I had a damn-near-miss
with a truck due to a front blowout. Sure, I kept an eye on my tires;
the trouble was I didn't really know what I was looking for. So with
all this talk of tires, I'd like to ask you netters what you look for
on a 'cycle tire that tells you it's time to drop some more $$$.

				Andy Valencia

mwf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark W. Froelich) (07/03/85)

*** REPLACE THIS tire before it BLOWS! ***

I am currently in the market for replacement tires for my BMW R75/5.
I am satisfied with the standard Contis, but I am told that the new
Metzler ME99s and Lazers are extra-prima better than the standard
k112 rb2 combo.  Anybody out there have anything else to offer in this
regard???  I am going to replace both front and rear before August,
when I plan to ride to Boston via DC from Cowlumbus OH.
				Thanks in advance!
				Mark Froelich
				cbosgd!osu-eddie!mwf