[net.cycle] Correction -- 147mph

kehoe@reed.UUCP (Dave Kehoe) (07/28/85)

Sorry, I posted a mistake: the Reed College student last year
was ticketed at 147mph on I-5.  He was pissed because his GS1000ES
can do 155mph, or so he claims.  And the bike is mostly stock.
(His CB500-four, which he raced at 140mph, was definetly not stock.)
By the way, he was driving on a suspended license with $200 in
unpaid fines, and he failed to appear for the 147mph ticket, and
then the state sent him a letter saying that if he paid his $200
in fines they'd ignore the 147mph ticket and give him his license
back.  I wouldn't believe all this if I wasn't living with him.
So there, Doug, you can just

In article <854@teklds.UUCP> dougs@teklds.UUCP (Doug Schwartz) writes:
>eat it, eat it, da-da-da-da...
>
>I hope the person
>who posted the 143 on the GS1000 really doesn't believe everything everyone
>tells him, especially about a CB-450 going 130.

I didn't say that I believed that, I said that I read in a history
of motorcycling that people used to rides CB450's at 130, but that
mine can't get over 100mph.

Also, someone recently noted in passing that he used to ride
a Kawasaki A-1 Samurai.  I've never heard of that -- was there
really such a bike, or did you confuse that with the K-1 500-triple
two-stroke, also known as the "suicide bike"?  And can anyone tell
me about the Suzuki GT750?  I'm thinking about maybe rebuilding
one.  It's a triple, appears to be a two-stroke, and is the meanest
looking thing I've ever seen on two wheels.  I don't want to ride
it, I just want to put it in the driveway.
--
"Why my thoughts are my own, when they are in, but when they are out
they are another's."  -- Susanna Martin, executed for witchcraft.

gadfly@ihu1m.UUCP (Gadfly) (07/30/85)

--
> Also, someone recently noted in passing that he used to ride
> a Kawasaki A-1 Samurai.  I've never heard of that -- was there
> really such a bike, or did you confuse that with the K-1 500-triple
> two-stroke, also known as the "suicide bike"? ...

> Dave Kehoe

No confusion (how could *anyone* confuse anything with that widow-
maker?).  The A-1 was a 250cc twin (two-stroke, of course) made in
the late 60's.  Had the old 5-up shift pattern (neutral was on the
bottom).  The seat was barely 2 in. thick, and *hard*.  I only
owned the thing for a short while--a trip from San Francisco to
Spokane in '81--so I can't remember much more about it.  Except the
goddam racket it made.  Without those earplugs, I'd be deaf today.
But hey, bought it for $150, sold it in Spokane for $250.  Only
expenses were gas and that silly green oil, one tire patch kit, and
one new tube after the patch failed and dumped me down an exceptionally
scenic stretch of 101 in Oregon.  Never patch a flat.
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****