[net.cycle] Automatic High Beam Flashers

rls@ihu1g.UUCP (r.l. schieve) (09/09/85)

While driving to work (into the sun) Friday morning I was
surprized to notice glare in my rear view mirror from the
cycle behind me.  It was very annoying and distracting and
I was glad to be passed farther down the road.  I followed
the bike for several miles and determined from the reflection
off the back of other cars and signs that the bikes low beam
was on and the bright beam was flashing on and off at about
a half second rate.  I pulled next to the biker at a light
and told him his light must have a problem (though I suspected
otherwise).  He responed that it was suposed to be that way.
I told him my opinion of the system and that I hoped he got
a ticket for driving with his brights on.

I have been told by others that these circuits are available.
Are these high beam flashers really legal?  My bike riding
experience has always been to keep a low profile an not annoy
people in bigger vehicles.  There are too many nuts out there
that get a kick out of watching a biker have to slam on the
brakes.  Weaving though traffic and taking advantage of your
small size when riding gets people mad.  I saw other drivers
adjusting mirrors to avoid the flashing high beam and I think
they were as annoyed as I was and all it takes is one crazy
driver.

Any comments or similar experiences..... and are these flashers
legal???

				Rick Schieve
				...ihnp4!ihu1g!rls

davidk@dartvax.UUCP (David C. Kovar) (09/10/85)

I've seen those type of flashers before, but for some reason I thought
it cycled between off and low, not low and high. In either case, it
certainly made the cyclist much more noticable, which is what I am usually
concerned with. If they notice me, there is a much lower chance that they're
going to pull out into traffic in front of me, thinking that I am not there.
Considering two of my friends ended up in the hospital because two different
cars pulled out in front of them and claimed "But I did not see him ...", I
think flashers might be a good idea. (I don't have them, in fact, I do not
even have a motorcycle any more. <sigh>)
--
David C. Kovar
	    USNET:      {linus|decvax|cornell|astrovax}!dartvax!davidk%amber

"I felt like a punk who'd gone out for a switchblade and come back
 with a tactical nuke.

 'Shit', I thought. 'Screwed again. What good's a tactical nuke in a
  street fight?'"
			"Burning Chrome" by William Gibson

gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) (09/11/85)

--
> While driving to work (into the sun) Friday morning I was
> surprized to notice glare in my rear view mirror from the
> cycle behind me.  It was very annoying and distracting and
> I was glad to be passed farther down the road...
>
> I have been told by others that these circuits are available.
> Are these high beam flashers really legal?  My bike riding
> experience has always been to keep a low profile an not annoy
> people in bigger vehicles.  There are too many nuts out there
> that get a kick out of watching a biker have to slam on the
> brakes...
>
> Any comments or similar experiences..... and are these flashers
> legal???
>
> 				Rick Schieve

I hope to God they are legal, Rick.  They are life-savers!
I, for one, often keep my high beam on when I ride, day or night.
I apologize for your momentary discomfort, but that guy avoided
the all-too-common biker's epitaph:

              "But I didn't see him, officer."

The greatest danger a motorcyclist faces is NOT an angry driver,
it's NOT BEING SEEN.  There are actually very few nuts who play
around with bikers--even a meek 5'7" squirt like me looks fairly
imposing in full leathers--but there's a lot of car drivers who
just can't see anything else on the road but cars.  If it were
up to me, I'd reverse the law, so that every car driver needed
a cycle license first, and a year's experience on a bike to boot,
before graduating to those multi-ton death machines.  Maybe then
they'd have some awareness that there are other types of vehicles
on the road.  Ah, but I'm dreaming.  And so, because you too just
might be dreaming--and driving at the same time--I have to
shine my light in your eyes to be sure I've got your attention.
I try to be a courteous driver.  I don't like to be rude or obnoxious.
So I do sincerely apologize for the discomfort--because I'm so glad
I've lived to do so.
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

darryl@ISM780.UUCP (09/11/85)

[]

This month's AM (the magazine for members of the American Motorcyclist
Association) has a little article on how the NTHSA has just approved
the use of headlight modulators.  They are now legal in all states.
These devices flash your lights between 200 and 280 times a minute.
They have been demonstarted to considerably increase a motorcyclists'
visibility in traffic; they especially cut down on the number of people
that will turn in front of a motorcyclist.

	    --Darryl Richman, INTERACTIVE Systems Corp.
	    ...!cca!ima!ism780!darryl
	    The views expressed above are my opinions only.

chip@vaxwaller.UUCP (Chip Kozy) (09/11/85)

> Any comments or similar experiences..... and are these flashers
> legal???
*** REPLACE THIS WITH YOUR ***

	Yes, indeed they are legal!!  In fact, according to the latest
AMA magazine, they are now legal throughout the country.

	The reason for these "flashers" is to be seen better by other
vehicles.  As you have found out, the bike was MUCH more noticeable with
the headlight flashing (I wish I had one on when the driver of the car
that pulled out in front of me looked at me before turning, and obviously
didn't see me).  They, however, are NOT legal after dark.

     (Perhaps the driver of the bike needed to adjust his headlight a
bit better if, as you say, other drivers were re-adjusting their mirrors
to compensate.)  Anyway, the answer to your question is they most certainly
legal...and hooray for that (my opinion).

					Happiness;
					Chip

--

		Chip Kozy   (415) 939-2400 x-2048
		Varian Inst. Grp.  2700 Mitchell Dr.

jerem@tekgvs.UUCP (Jere Marrs) (09/12/85)

In article <692@ihu1g.UUCP> rls@ihu1g.UUCP (r.l. schieve) writes:
>While driving to work (into the sun) Friday morning I was
>surprized to notice glare in my rear view mirror from the
>cycle behind me.
                            ....determined from the reflection
>off the back of other cars and signs that the bikes low beam
>was on and the bright beam was flashing on and off at about
>a half second rate.
>
>I have been told by others that these circuits are available.
>Are these high beam flashers really legal?

	There are headlight modulators available which modulate the
intensity of the *LOW BEAM* of the motorcycle headlight. These most
definitely make the machine more noticeable (more later). If the
motorcycle you saw actually flashed the high and low beams alternately,
that would be obnoxious. I know of no commercial device that does this.

	The legality of the *LOW BEAM* modulators has been an issue in
several states, but I believe that has been resolved. It is legal here
in Oregon.

	Now, regarding the issue of 'profile:' From my experience, the
'cyclist that chooses to take the 'low profile' will end up with the
short end of the stick. If the drivers don't see you, you are vulnerable
to the ineptitude of the automobilists. They tend to change lanes in a
cavalier manner among other horrible things. Granted, certain drivers
wish motorcyclists ill-will, but they are a small minority. Most people
who *see* you will not wilfully do you harm. The chances of safe
passage are greatest if you are seen.

			Jere M. Marrs
			Tektronix, Inc.
		ihnp4!tektronix!tekcrl!tekgvs!jerem

darryl@ISM780.UUCP (09/12/85)

[]

One more note on headlight modulators:  I believe that installing one
(*any* one) on your late model BMW will void your warranty.  Seems that
they tend to interfere with the ignition system and cause problems with the
diode board.  (I don't claim to understand why).  Sigh.

	    --Darryl Richman, INTERACTIVE Systems Corp.
	    ...!cca!ima!ism780!darryl
	    The views expressed above are my opinions only.

pulver@allegra.UUCP (Mark Pulver) (09/12/85)

	I saw an article in some cycle mag. (name unknown) a few years
ago about these flashing units. These flasher slowly
oscillate your high beam from full bightness to lower level,
never off. Most units have a (daylight) brightness
meter, so the brighter the day, the larger the amplitude to
the oscillation. At night the unit would be off.
	The article said that in their tests at intersections,
drivers could not avoid noticing the cycles with the pulsing head light.
	In many states (and provinces in Canada) these units are illegal,
because headlight laws say that a headlights must have a constant brightness.

--
Mark Pulver  watmath!watvlsi!pulver (U of W VLSI Group, Waterloo, Ont, Canada)
	on loan to AT&T Bell Labs as pulver@allegra

hall@ittral.UUCP (Doug Hall) (09/13/85)

In article <692@ihu1g.UUCP> rls@ihu1g.UUCP (r.l. schieve) writes:
>I have been told by others that these circuits are available.
>Are these high beam flashers really legal?  My bike riding
>experience has always been to keep a low profile an not annoy
>people in bigger vehicles.
>
>Any comments or similar experiences..... and are these flashers
>legal???
>
>				Rick Schieve
>				...ihnp4!ihu1g!rls

They are legal, even if somewhat obnoxous, but the reason for them is
quite good. You're much more likely to see a rider during the day if
his headlight is on, and supposedly a blinking headlight is even more
visible. I'm not convinced, but I've seen a lot of them lately...
maybe that's the idea....?

Anyway, I don't want one on my bike. If they can't see a quartz
halogen headlight then blinking it from high to low beam probably
won't help much. What do you think?

Doug Hall
ITT Telecom
Raleigh NC
ittatc!ittral!hall

langet@ecn-pc.UUCP (Timothy Lange) (09/13/85)

I seem to remember an issue of AMA that said a new federal
law/ordinance was passed that allowed headlight modulators to be
used during daylight in all states.  Harley-Davison is equiping
their machines with modulators as standard equipment and was the
prime mover to make modulators legal.  I use one, and it sure is
nice to see people look (I mean LOOK) at me from crossstreets
before they pull out.  Like other posters said, it gets them out
of their dream state and back to matters at hand.
--
Tim Lange		Engineering Business Offices
317-494-5338		Rm 120 Engineering Administration Bldg.

ayers@convexs.UUCP (09/13/85)

>I have been told by others that these circuits are available.
>Are these high beam flashers really legal?

In some states, yes -- in some states, no.  And in some states
they were pushed as "the answer" (to the question of being seen)
by the authorities, and then made illegal because they pissed off
so many motorists...

blues, II
(Sincerity -- I can fake that...)

turner@saber.UUCP (D'arc Angel @ The Houses of the Holy) (09/14/85)

> In article <692@ihu1g.UUCP> rls@ihu1g.UUCP (r.l. schieve) writes:
> >While driving to work (into the sun) Friday morning I was
> >surprized to notice glare in my rear view mirror from the
> >cycle behind me.
>                             ....determined from the reflection
> >off the back of other cars and signs that the bikes low beam
> >was on and the bright beam was flashing on and off at about
> >a half second rate.
> >
> >I have been told by others that these circuits are available.
> >Are these high beam flashers really legal?
> >
> that would be obnoxious. I know of no commercial device that does this.
>
> 	The legality of the *LOW BEAM* modulators has been an issue in
> several states, but I believe that has been resolved. It is legal here
> in Oregon.

I recently took my motorcycle written test in CA and yes it is
legal here during the day

--
			god bless Lily St. Cyr
			 -Rocky Horror Picture Show

Name:	James Turner
Mail:	Saber Technology, 2381 Bering Drive, San Jose, California 95131
AT&T:	(408) 945-9600 x75
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!saber!turner
	...{amd,ihnp4,ittvax}!saber!turner

JOHN@NCSUVM.BITNET (09/16/85)

Hey Doug,
    What about those 200 watt Quartz HELLA's that I've got on the
front of my bike.. I can't use them during the day, but if I blink
them at night you know I'm coming thru....

    John DeBoskey ( That's ME! )

    John@NCSUVM.BITNET

PS... How do you like your NEW? ( a few months old ) bike?..

!!??.. I'm not responsible for my words, only my mind ..??!!
.. Oh NO! your mode of life will be changed to EBCDIC!! ..

shilo@t4test.UUCP (Shilo Jennings) (09/17/85)

> From: gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly)
> Date: 11 Sep 85 14:28:10 GMT
>
> just can't see anything else on the road but cars.  If it were
> up to me, I'd reverse the law, so that every car driver needed
> a cycle license first, and a year's experience on a bike to boot,
> before graduating to those multi-ton death machines.  Maybe then
> they'd have some awareness that there are other types of vehicles
> on the road.  Ah, but I'm dreaming.

Yes,but you are not alone! I've been trying to convince Someone
of that for years!! Maybe we could start a petition!? Even a month
it definitely would make those pinheads more aware of what is going
on in the world outside their little cage! Inattention is the major
cause of accidents, so wake up, little cage drivers!!!!!!!!!

And now a word from our sponsers...
				-scj-

animal@ihlpa.UUCP (D. Starr) (09/17/85)

*do not polish your engine with your tongue.  Excessive aluminum in the
diet has been linked to Alzheimer's disease. *

In a recent article, Rick Schieve desribed an unsettling experience:

> While driving to work (into the sun) Friday morning I was
> surprized to notice glare in my rear view mirror from the
> cycle behind me.  It was very annoying and distracting and
> I was glad to be passed farther down the road.  I followed
> the bike for several miles and determined from the reflection
> off the back of other cars and signs that the bikes low beam
> was on and the bright beam was flashing on and off at about
> a half second rate.  I pulled next to the biker at a light
> and told him his light must have a problem (though I suspected
> otherwise).  He responed that it was suposed to be that way.
> I told him my opinion of the system and that I hoped he got
> a ticket for driving with his brights on.
> I have been told by others that these circuits are available.

What you encountered was a headlight modulator.  They are manufactured
and sold by a number of companies.  What they are supposed to do
is flash the high beam at an attention-getting rate during daylight
and thereby reduce the chance of front-end collisions.

> Are these high beam flashers really legal?

Thanks to a recent DOT ruling, they are now legal nationwide (assuming
they meet the DOT standard).  There is also a good chance that they will
become standard equipment if statistics show they really do contribute
to safety.

> My bike riding
> experience has always been to keep a low profile an not annoy
> people in bigger vehicles.  There are too many nuts out there
> that get a kick out of watching a biker have to slam on the
> brakes.

The "low profile" theory of bike safety assumes that a significant number
of the car pointers (I hesitate to call them drivers) are actively out
to get you.  This is a convenient operating assumption; however, the
majority are really just oblivious to your presence.  They don't deliberately
set out to push you off the road; they're just half asleep or thinking about
getting to work on time or who really shot J. R.  The "conspicuity" theory,
upon which the headlight modulator is based, says that it's best to make
sure they see you, even if the method is a trifle annoying.

> Weaving though traffic and taking advantage of your
> small size when riding gets people mad.

It sure does.  It's also illegal in Illinois, regardless of whether your
headlight is flashing.

> I saw other drivers
> adjusting mirrors to avoid the flashing high beam and I think
> they were as annoyed as I was and all it takes is one crazy
> driver.

In the next ten million drivers you will encounter in the oncoming lane,
there will be perhaps one homicidal maniac who will consider having a
head-on with you because your light is flashing.  There will also be about
three million who will happily make a left turn right across your path
because they didn't notice the motorcycle.

> Any comments or similar experiences..... and are these flashers
> legal???
>
> 				Rick Schieve
> 				...ihnp4!ihu1g!rls

I've seen them in traffic quite a bit, and haven't been particularly annoyed.
Perhaps the one you saw had his headlight mis-aimed (up at traffic instead
of at the road).  This is remarkably common among bikes (which aren't ridden
at night all that much), and can be *very* annoying, whether flashing or
not.

Additional information on headlight modulators:

The idea isn't new at all.  Most experienced bikers will flash the brights
at oncoming traffic that seems to be a little to oblivious.  The Illinois
law that requires daylight use of headlights is based on the same idea of
forcing the motorist to notice the bike.  The same idea has given us
reflectorized vests, side marker lights, front running lights and the
new eye-level brake light required on cars.

Several states legalized headlight modulators back in the 70's.  The
insurance industry opposed them, claiming that the flashing might trigger
seizures in borderline epileptics, and that people might try to run them
at night.  The Feds kept out of the dispute for a long time, leaving the
whole affair in limbo.  This year, after length hearings and lobbying
from the AMA (the bikers, not the doctors), the DOT ruled that headlight
modulators would be legal, and put forth standards for flash rate (too
fast to induce seizures) and daylight-only operation (a light sensor is
required in the unit).  Given the general gadget-frenzy of the American
bike market, it is likely that the top-of-the-line touring bikes (the ones
with digital instruments, direction finders, trip computers, etc.) will
sprout headlight modulators as factory options for the '87 season.

Whether the things actually help reduce accidents will not be known until
a significant number of bikes equipped with them are out on the roads,
of course.  In the meantime I'm sticking with a loud horn and lots of
caution.

			Dan Starr

mcgeer@ucbvax.ARPA (Rick McGeer) (09/18/85)

	I'm considering buying a motorcycle for commuting in and around
Berkeley, California.  I don't think I'll ever have it out on the freeway.

	Now.  I'm ignorant.  My wife, family, and friends have all unanimously
urged me not to do it.  The claim is that it's dangerous.  Is this really true?
Statistically, are there more fatal or (worse) crippling injuries from
motorcycles than automobiles?  Can you reduce your chances by any or all of:
headlight modulators, paranoia, helmets, leathers, boots and gloves?  How
would you rank these, and other factors, in terms of safety enhancement?  (that
is, critical to merely helpful?)  Should I start off on a 250-450, or a larger
bike?  And are there any driving techniques, other than a general "be paranoid"
that measurably improve your chances of survival?

	BTW, I'm going to take a Motorcycle Safety Federation course in either
October or November.

				Stayin' Alive,
				     Rick.

evincent@oberon.UUCP (Eric Vincent) (09/19/85)

In his article posted 18 Sept 1985, Rick McGeer raised some very
good questions that many of those who are interested in starting
to ride motorcycles ask. I thought I would offer my feelings
on some of them:

First, most new riders say they don't intend to ride on the
freeways, but in time, you will.

Your family, friends and associates who say that riding is
dangerous are simply simply expressing a feeling that most
non-riders have about motorcycles.  To a certain extent,
they are right.  Therein lies a basic obstacle that all
riders should confront.  You really need to accept the fact
that riding a motorcycle puts you in a more suseptible position
for an accident or injury.  What counters the argument against
riding is the amount of freedom and plain fun you can get from
it.

Riding a motorcycle requires a few different techniques from those
of driving a car, but primarily, riding a motorcycle demands that
you concentrate on the same skills you use in driving a car. One
of these is concentration in itself.  Unlike a car driver who can
blithely roll down the road, unaware of 90 percent of his/her
surroundings, a motorcyclist must devote far more attention to
his riding - part of which is watching out for the half dead car
driver beside him.

Finally, the last note about taking the Motorcycle Safety Foundation
course is right on the mark.  I have only praise for these programs,
and so does everyone I have met who has taken them.  This includes
both the beginner rider course as well as the experienced rider
course they offer.

Take it easy,

Eric Vincent
Associate Editor, Free 2 Wheel Magazine
Assistant, 'Centerstand', KPFK-FM  Los Angeles
(Opinions expressed are entirely my own)

ayers@convexs.UUCP (09/19/85)

>	Now.  I'm ignorant. My wife, family, and friends have all unanimously
>urged me not to do it. The claim is that it's dangerous.  Is this really true?
>			...Can you reduce your chances by any or all of:
>headlight modulators, paranoia, helmets, leathers, boots and gloves?  How
>would you rank these, and other factors, in terms of safety enhancement? (that
>is, critical to merely helpful?)

Qualifications to answer:  I've been riding for 30 years (much of that time
using a cycle as my _main_ means of transportation), and I'm not only still
alive, but still love motorcycling.

Answer (from most to least important):

 1. Paranoia
 2. boots
 3. Paranoia
 4. helmet
 5. Paranoia
 6. gloves
 7. Paranoia
 8. leathers
 9. Paranoia
10. safety course
11. Paranoia
12. headlight modulators
13. Paranoia
14. Paranoia

(get the drift?)  Most of the above items will do you no good until (unless?)
you have an accident.  I have seen a few "dumb mistakes" on the part of bikers
cause accidents (trying to do wheelies on ice comes to mind), but I've seen
A LOT of accidents caused by people in their Belchfire 88's that "didn't see
the bike."  So you have to be ready, watchful, and still wear that protection
(cause it's gonna happen -- it's just a matter of when).  On second thought,
move that safety course to #2...

(And they said to me "You've lost your mind!"
   and I said "No I haven't, I just can't
       remember where I left it...")

					B~)B~)B~)B~)B~)B~)B~)
						 B~)