[net.cycle] Cross Country Ride Info

vanzandt@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (10/07/85)

    I am planning a cross country ride this coming spring. Any information
or advice pertaining to bike size, road selection, lodging, etc. would
be greatly appreciated.
    To those in Champaign, Il. area, if you have a bike for sale that might
meet the above conditions, mail me something.
                                 -Lonnie (uiucuxc!vanzandt)

animal@ihlpa.UUCP (D. Starr) (10/09/85)

>     I am planning a cross country ride this coming spring. Any information
> or advice pertaining to bike size, road selection, lodging, etc. would
> be greatly appreciated.
>     To those in Champaign, Il. area, if you have a bike for sale that might
> meet the above conditions, mail me something.
>                                  -Lonnie (uiucuxc!vanzandt)

(This could go on for hours...)

I'm putting this one on the net in the hopes that we'll get a little
more discussion on the subject, since what works for me may not work for
you.

By cross-country, I assume you mean something like one of the coasts, or
a week in the Rockies or something; at least not just Champaign to
Dubuque.

BIKE SELECTION-I would say that 500cc is a good dividing line:  it is
certainly possible to cross the country on a smaller bike, but 500
seems to be the line dividing proving a point from having fun.  Obviously,
the larger bikes will haul more gear than the smaller ones.  I've taken
long trips on 2 different 500's, and concluded that they're quite adequate
(and a lot of fun) if not overloaded.  This means (to me) no passenger,
no hard saddlebags and at most a bar-mounted windshield.  If you're
interested in the fairing and bags route, I think 750 is a better
minimum--850 with passenger.

You should also consider what kind of bike you're taking.  Lean-back
boulevard cruisers (Virago, Shadow, Intruder, etc.) can get hard on the
back if you don't have something to lean on.  Similarly, squat-down
roadracers (Interceptor, Katana, etc.) force you to do a continuous
push-up at most legal speeds.  Anything that doesn't allow you to change
your seating position will get old real fast.  I think the best setup
is moderate handlebars (flattish but not too low) and a flat seat, so
you can lean forward a bit into the wind at speed, lean back against your
sleeping bag for the dull stretches, and sit up straight now and then.
Such bikes are hard to find, what with all the specialization going
on these days.  Suzuki used to have a line of sensible motorcycles
called the "T" (for traditional) series, but they were considered too
bland by the customers and disappeared.  If you can find one as a "non
current" model, it'll probably be a bargain and an excellent choice.
(Of course, the new Harley 883 is also very sensible if you get it with
the [optional] flat seat, but it's also $4K.)

Another thing to stay away from if this is your first long tour is the
big, full dress "gunboat" (Goldwing, Voyager, etc.).  Most of these
machines are just too damn heavy to have any fun on.

ROADS-I seldom use the Interstate system for the very simple reason
that if I'm trying to see the country I want to see more than four
lanes and an endless series of fast food joints.  Believe it or not,
Kansas is actually quite pretty if you take the two-laners.  Similarly,
you can cross Missouri on I-70 and be bored stiff, or take US 50 and
go through hills and curves for the whole distance.  The two-laners
have a few other advantages:

Lodging and food are frequently cheaper.  Facilities along the superslab
are usually new and a good chunk of what you pay goes to the mortgage.
The places along the small roads are usually paid for, run by retired
folks who don't need a lot of money, and are therefore cheaper.

You can ride faster between towns with less risk of a ticket.  (Keep this
one secret!)  Most of the cops are on the interstate, setting up speed
traps to separate the tourists from their money.  I've ridden all day
in Ohio on US 30 without seeing a cop; get on the interstate and saw five
in the first ten miles.

Worried about hostile locals?  You're watching too much TV.  In nine
years and 13 long cross country trips, all I've ever encountered was
hospitality.

A hint for finding good roads:  the fainter the line is on the map, the
better.  The thin gray lines tend to mean less traffic and more hills
and curves than the thick red or black ones.

LODGING-You certainly want to carry the old reliable KOA guide, if for
nothing else as a last resort.  Note that the cheaper KOAs are often
more tent-oriented than the expensive "award winners."

I know of three motorcycles-only campgrounds:  Songdog Ranch (near L.A.),
Two Wheels Only, (Suches, GA) and Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground
(Cruso, NC).  There will probably be more opening; this is an idea whose
time has come.

In Kansas, you can camp out in most of the highway rest areas on the
state highway system (NOT the interstates).  This is generally not
true in other states.

National Park facilities are always full before you get there.
On the other hand, there are frequently forest service campgrounds
nearby, if you can negotiate a few miles of gravel fire road.

Don't believe what you read about the joy of cooking your own food
in camp.  You will probably not want to do it (remember, you're
on vacation), and you'd need a sidecar to carry all the equipment.

If you're planning to motel it, grab a copy of "Lodgings for Less"
at your local bookstore.  It's a Mobil Travel Guide book listing only
good quality budget motels.  Also keep in mind, motels are cheaper and
often more available if you stay away from the slab.

Well, that's long enough.  What do the rest of you have to say?

			Dan Starr

pag00@amdahl.UUCP (Pria Graves) (10/11/85)

> I'm putting this one on the net in the hopes that we'll get a little
> more discussion on the subject, since what works for me may not work for
> you.

OK, I'll bite.

I, too, have done a number of longish (4000 - 9000 mile) trips on
two different bikes.  I found my first bike, a Honda 550, to be
literally a pain in the rear if I tried to ride more than 400 miles
in one day.  I also found it to be a bit underpowered for the
Canadian rockies where everyone does 70.

My second (and current) bike has turned out to be truely
satisfactory for long distance:  a BMW R100S (short bars
and cafe fairing).  I have it set up with rear sets (both
rider footpegs moved back and passenger pegs up) and I alternate between
leaning forward on my tank bag and sitting up or slouching.
(most of my trips have been with a passenger so I cannot usually
lean too far back).
I also use hard saddlebags which help keep things dry.

The bike is wonderfully reliable and will continue to run even if
minor problems develop.  The American BMW club also publishes
a book for members which lists phone numbers of both repair shops and
private individuals who are willing to render various types of
assistance, a real plus for those travelling in unfamiliar areas.
The bike combines good handling charateristics with the ability to be
driven hard for long periods (200 miles at 80 non-stop, 700+/day) when
the need or desire arises. It is also lighter (~475lbs ) than many
bikes its size.  Best of all, at 65000 miles I know it has a good 30K
left before an overhaul!  It is the only bike you can buy at 40K and
trust it to last you through a good few trips!

I disagree about not wanting to cook.  When there are three family members
on a three week trip eating out gets too expensive.  By devoting
one tank bag to a small backpacking stove and pots and by only
buying one day's groceries at a time, we can eat quite well
(camp style) most of the trip.  It is also nice to be able to sip a
cup of coffee before taking off.

Another thing I find critical on most trips out of the southwest is
a good rainsuit.  I have the Rukka and find it to be most adequate.
(By the way, rainstorms are the only thing that make me wish for
a bigger fairing... for the sake of visibility.)
A spray bottle full of water is also a large plus in the desert:
soak your shirt and pants (even while riding) to help prevent
heat problems.

I'll second the comments about KOA's.  Most we have stayed in have
been very pleasant (but watch out for Odessa-Midland in Texas).
While most major U.S. National parks are always full, many state,
regional and less known parks can be wonderfull - some even have
showers.  In Oregon and Washington (also Michigan as I recall)
there are hardly any other campgrounds. (speaking of that, where
does one camp in Maine?)

Secondary roads are definitely more fun.  If you run into trouble
you are also more likely to 1) be helped and 2) be entertained
while you are being helped.  A person I was traveling with a few
years back ran off the road in West Virginia.  I got a real feeling
for the folks there while they helped rescue his bike and patch
the gas tank - and they would only charge for the epoxy used for the
patching, not the 3 hrs. of everyone's time!
The only first hand account I have ever heard of someone being
openly hostile to a biker was in a small town in Alabama.  My husband
was traveling through in about '78 on his full fairing BMW and got
"escorted" through town by a cop on a similar bike.  At a light the
guy told him to "keep on traveling".  I wouldn't ride through the south
by myself!
--
Pria            ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,amd,nsc}!amdahl!pag00
                (408) 746 7539

darryl@ISM780.UUCP (10/11/85)

[]
There's a lot to say on this (set of) subject(s).  Let me say that
there's no real problem cooking your own food in camp.  I have a
backpacker's camp stove and a set of cookware.  Cheap meals are easy to
do, but don't bother trying to do something complicated -- go to a restaraunt
instead.  Cleaning up is easy:  wash your pots with a little soap and
a handful of gravel, then rinse.  Use biodegradable soap (available
at any camping outfitter);  I carry some on my bike all the time as
an aid to remounting a tire.

	    --Darryl Richman, INTERACTIVE Systems Corp.
	    ...!cca!ima!ism780!darryl
	    The views expressed above are my opinions only.

gnu@l5.uucp (John Gilmore) (10/15/85)

My first long-distance cycle trip was 8000 miles in three months on a
1976 Honda 360.  This proved to be a very enjoyable trip, down the Blue
Ridge Parkway, thru the South, Florida, along the Gulf and across
Texas, up the middle of New Mexico, Colorado, then back across Kansas
and east all the way back to DC where I'd started.

For almost all of the trip I was alone, and for that kind of slow,
one-person trip, a small bike is great.  One of the worst things you
can do to a good cycle trip is to TRY to make 400 miles in a day.  Why
bother?  Are you out there to eat miles, or to have a good time?
You'll see a lot more interesting things at 50 than you will at 80, and
you'll have time to stop and take a closer look before they're too far
behind you to bother.

With a 10-minute break every hour or so, at a nice place I'd spot along
the road, I had a very enjoyable trip.  Anytime I felt like taking a
side road, I just did.  I took bread and cheese and water and juice and
fruit, which was great to have when I passed a nice shady forest meadow
and felt hungry.  Once in a while I cooked a chunky soup over a
campfire, or stole a few ears of corn from a field and cooked them
within an hour in the coals.

I found that the best spots to camp were just places where you could
pull off the road and nobody could spot you.  Check dirt roads leading
behind farmers' fields, levee roads or access roads by a creek or
river, fire roads, or whatever.  Make sure the bike is not visible
from anywhere on paved road.  The cardinal rule is to leave the place
looking *exactly* like you found it, which meant usually just spreading
a tarp and sleeping bag under the stars, undisturbed by the rest of
humanity.  No fires unless I found a firepit.  I NEVER had any property
owners object to this mode of camping; I even had a cop come up the
fire road one day (I heard him coming so I wasn't naked in the sleeping
bag when he got there) and we talked for a few minutes and he went on
his way.  After this kind of peace and solitude, I find the typical car
camp a sad place, to say nothing of the typical RV camp.

Let me second the idea that you MUST carry raingear.  The $30 rainsuits
made of cheap vinyl are fine for a few months of touring; eventually
they get holes or tears or melted and need replacing, but $10/month to
be able to ride all day in rain without getting wet is c-h-e-a-p!
Bring layerable clothes -- t-shirts, flannel shirts, sweaters,
windbreakers, long underwear and jeans, and maybe short pants for when
you aren't riding.  Also big wool socks as well as normal ones.  In
Colorado I had all this on at once, plus the raingear, just to keep
from freezing.  If you can carry one extra set of pants & shirt, you
can wash all the rest at laundromats.

Be sure to buy your bike soon enough that you can break it in riding
around town (say ~1000 miles) where you won't be riding it hard.  Also,
you can get the breakin service done at your original dealer, and
get used to riding the bike and dealing with any problems it has.  Buy
spare cables and bulbs and fuses and find ingenious hideyholes in the
bike where you can stash them so they'll be there in the dark in the
middle of the cornfield in Kansas when you need them.

And on a trip like this, do maintenance every day.  At my first gas
stop of the day, I would check the oil, grease the chain (vaseline is
harder to put on than the spray on stuff, but it works very well and is
very cheap), adjust its tension, and check all the nuts and bolts and
lights.  Doing it that often, it got to be a 10 minute job.

A tank pack, with a clear plastic top you can put a map behind, is a
good thing to have; as well as a pair of saddlebags (mine were vinyl,
which meant they would stretch if I needed to stuff a little more in
some days).  This gear should be waterproof, or you should line it with
plastic to make it that way.  (I put plywood on the bottom of the
saddlebags to keep the hot exhaust pipes from burning them, too.)

I've done two more long distance trips (11K miles and 20K miles)
and the largest bike I used was a Honda 400.  I carried a passenger
and her gear for a few hundred miles of it, too.  You don't need a big
expensive bike to tour!

roland@inmet.UUCP (10/17/85)

Stop at a Maine tourist information center (I95 just
across the border from New Hampshire if you're coming
from the south) and pick up one of the official state maps.
Among other things not shown on any service station map
are U.S. Forest Service campsites, situated in the middle
of nowhere with noone around.  (I am loathe to share this
information with the world, but I am also curious why
Maine should be singled out?  After all, it is half
of New England and has half the population of Boston.
If you can't find an unoccupied corner for your
sleeping bag, you're not looking.)

ron@hpfcla.UUCP (10/17/85)

Responding to "faintest line on the map"

That's not necessarily the truth.  Some of the very faint lines on the map
of Colorado aren't even really roads for cars. They're 4 wheel-drive routes !
Yes a motorcycle might make it but I sure wouldn't take a Goldwing on
any of them.

The secondary routes (US Hwy vs I-XX) are the way to go. Folks are friendly,
traffic is light (away from cities) and the pace can be varied from twisty
roads in the mountains to dead-straight in the plains.  In '83 I did a trip
on my CB900F and had everyone I met all afternoon (about 20 or so) in
western Kansas, wave to me !  I didn't think that people did that anymore.

Ron Miller

No one has ever gone broke UNDERestimating the intelligence of the American
public !

FSD Service Engineering  (Hardware Support)
Hewlett-Packard Co.
Ft. Collins Systems Div.
Ft. Collins Colorado
303-226-3800

at: {ihnp4}hpfcla!ron

gordon@scgvaxd.UUCP (Gordon Howell) (10/18/85)

Newsgroups: net.cycle
Subject: Re: Cross Country Ride Info

My discoveries after several lengthy journeys:

BIKE :  I am a BMW fanatic, so take it with a grain of salt.  Use a
BMW R80RT (or similar) for pavement.  Unbelieveably smooth and reliable.
For one-up and cheap, an older R65 or R75 is good (get rubber engine mounts
to kill the few vibrations)

Just got back from 7 weeks in Alaska and the Northwest Territories.  The
only bike for this territory is the BMW R80 G/S.  I was able to re-build
the transmission in the arctic (air freight in parts) with tools available
in an auto shop and my shop manual.  Try this on a Gold Wing.  This is the
only breakdown I have ever had on a BMW (and I deserved it...)

LODGING:  Join the American Youth Hostel Association.  Not always where
you are going; but I plan my destinations around them.  Otherwise camping
is easy.  I never go anywhere more than a day away without tent and bag.
If you get a BMW (here he goes again...) you can join the
BMW owner's association and have another resource for fixes, lodging,
friends, etc...

Other resources I use: Rider Motorcycle Touring Club; KOA directories;
Motel 6 directory; local advice on out-of-town cheapo motels; train and
bus stations (as a last resort to a wet night!)

The single most satisfying way to find lodging is to befriend the locals.
I have spent many happy, dry evenings at fellow biker's homes; people
I met on a previous journey; sympathetic auto shop owners (!); MOTOS...; etc.

FOOD:  Never spend more on food in a day than you do on gas  :-)   [after
all, I can travel on an empty stomach, but try it on an empty gas tank!]
I usually only cook at youth hostels.  Don't pass up the handout ---
most people really want to meet you (who is this strange human travelling
thousands of miles on a bike??)

REPAIRS:  Always be prepared.  Carry duct tape, baling wire, tools, and
crazy glue in that order.  I also carry a spare tube, tire patch kit and
pump (standard on guess-what-brand motorcycle).  Small items include:
headlight bulb, breaker points and condenser (if you need 'em), several
nut & bolt sets, electrical wire, and loctite.  Carry your shop manual!

ROADS:  Avoid the interstates.  I go for 60 mile roads that connect two
points 10 miles apart.  If an RV is there, you don't want to be.  Look
for lines on the map that you thought were rivers.  Look for roads marked
'unimproved'  --- on a light touring bike (such as a BMW :-)) you will
have no problems, and LOTS of fun.  US Highways winding their way through
Iowa cornfields are actually a lot more interesting than you might think.

COMPANIONS:  I prefer to travel alone, meeting people on the way.  I have
not had good luck travelling two up --- I finally taught a girlfriend
to ride, and that made all the difference...

This is already longer than expected...  Common sense is the most
valuable commodity on the road, whether you are on the interstae or
the outback.

Most of all, have fun.  (and stop by when you get to LA!)

Gordon Howell
engvax!gordon@CIT-VAX.ARPA
(213) 419-0254