[net.music] Suzanne Vega - info request

valerie@sdcc3.UUCP (Valerie Polichar) (07/08/85)

[]

Alas, I wasn't paying attention when comments on Suzanne Vega were flying
around this newsgroup last week - now I've seen/heard her video of
"Marlena on the Wall" and have fallen hopelessly, helplessly in love with
the music.  Could anyone with trivia/opinions/info/reviews/comments on Ms.
Vega please send me a note?  Soapbox-stander-onners welcome!

			Thanks a million!

--
-=< Valerie Polichar >=-		 ...sdcsvax!sdcc3!valerie

"Stop pouring me water.
 Stop making me look myself in the mirror.
 Ah, stop making me lie.
 Stop making me stop lying."

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (07/10/85)

["Today I am a small blue thing..."]

> From: valerie@sdcc3.UUCP (Valerie Polichar)

> Alas, I wasn't paying attention when comments on Suzanne Vega were flying
> around this newsgroup last week - now I've seen/heard her video of
> "Marlena on the Wall" and have fallen hopelessly, helplessly in love with
> the music.  Could anyone with trivia/opinions/info/reviews/comments on Ms.
> Vega please send me a note?  Soapbox-stander-onners welcome!

Valerie, you have exquisite taste in music!  Suzanne Vega only has one
album out.  It is called "Suzanne Vega" and was released, I believe,
several months ago.  It is a complete masterpiece, and should even be
perfectly accessible to those who cannot stomach the weird exesses of
Kate Bush.  Her album is sort of somewhat avant-garde folk, I suppose,
and seems to have some Windom Hill influences (though Windom Hill is
often considered jazz -- I'm not sure why...) and a little tiny bit of
Laurie Anderson influence too, maybe?

			"I've swallowed a secret burning thread"

			 Doug Alan
			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (ARPA)

whizzo@mit-eddie.UUCP (David Hardy) (07/10/85)

>  ... though Windom Hill is often considered jazz -- I'm not sure why

Check out Scott Cossu's album 'Islands' (Windham Hill WH-1033).  It has a
rather mellow (typical for WH), but pleasant jazzy style to it.
"An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a
 proposition.  It isn't just contradiction  ..................  Can be! "
                       Dave Hardy    (whizzo@mit-eddie)
ARPA:  whizzo@mit-eddie.ARPA      -or-     haadav%mitvma@mit-multics.ARPA
CSNET: haadav%mitvma.bitnet@wiscvm.csnet            BITNET: haadav@mitvma