[net.cycle] Need help in choosing a touring bike

phaedrus@eneevax.UUCP (Praveen Kumar) (10/06/85)

I want to buy a nice comfortable (read: easy to handle) touring bike.
I am about 6' and weigh about 155-165 lbs.  I have never ridden bikes
before but, I intend to ride across the country next summer/fall and I
don't want to have to buy a new bike for that.  So, I would like to
compromise between handleability, durability, power, and tourability.

I recently purchased two magazines which I hoped would help me choose.
These are the October issues of "Cycle World" and "Cycle".  They have
the best bikes of 1985.  However, their reviews were for the most part
disappointing.  Except for the review of the BMW R80RT (I think).  Of
course, I can't afford that.  By the way, I am looking for a bike
which will cost about 2500.  I will pay as much as 3000 if I have to
(I would rather not).  I am also willing to buy a used (but not too
old) bike.  I have been told that this is about the best time to buy
a bike (as far as good bargains go).  I would like to buy the bike in
about 4-6 weeks.  I won't have the money 'til then.

I would like peoples opinions/ideas etc. on the topic.  If anyone can
suggest any reading material on choosing a motorcycles, I would
appreciate it much if you could send me the names.

So far, the bike I like is the Honda 700 Shadow.  It is the only bike
I have ridden for any length of time.  However, I have never ridden
it for more than about an hour at a time.  So, I really don't know how
it will do on a long tour.

Thanks in advance for the advice,

--

			Praveen Kumar

Don't bother me! I'm on an emergency third rail power trip.

phaedrus@eneevax.arpa or {seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!eneevax!phaedrus

hsc@mtuxo.UUCP (h.cohen) (10/10/85)

For an excellent solo (passable two-up) turnkey tourer at
around $2500 ~ $3000, hunt the Honda shops for a leftover new 1983
GL650I "Silverwing."  There are quite a few around the country
waiting for smart people to buy them.  I am delighted with mine.
Harvey S. Cohen mtuxo!hsc

jon@msunix.UUCP (Jonathan Hue) (10/12/85)

In article <379@eneevax.UUCP>, phaedrus@eneevax.UUCP (Praveen Kumar) writes:
> I want to buy a nice comfortable (read: easy to handle) touring bike.
>
> So far, the bike I like is the Honda 700 Shadow.  It is the only bike
> I have ridden for any length of time.  However, I have never ridden
> it for more than about an hour at a time.  So, I really don't know how
> it will do on a long tour.

Isn't a Shadow one of those V-Twin cruiser-style bikes?  I wouldn't
reccommend a V-Twin cruiser for touring.  Sure, they're comfy around
town, but I would think the vibration from the V-Twin (even with
conterbalancers, if it has them) combined with the effort in holding
onto the bars from a leaned-back seating position fighting the wind
blast at 65mph would be fatiguing.

I've no experience with anything except sport bikes and motocross bikes,
but I think something along the lines of a Nighthawk would be a better
choice.  It's a better seating position and the inline-four is much
smoother.  It's got the hydralic lifters too, so it's cheaper to
maintain than the 16-valves on my miniceptor.  Of course, there was
my MSF instructor who was an ex-F1 racer, who thought a FJ1100 was
a good touring bike and thought a GS1150E was a good beginner bike
if you were over 180lbs.  A plexiglas windscreen, though not terribly
pretty, is a good addition for any unfaired bike used for touring.

By the way, were any Bay area people racing on Skyline last weekend?
I was up there and I hardly saw anyone (usually there are hundreds).
I guess all the canyon crazies finally killed themselves during the
summer, and a crop of replacements will arrive next spring.

			I want an RG500,
			Jonathan Hue @ LMSC-Mechanisms & Servos

			(..ucbvax!amdcad!cae780!leadsv!msunix!jon)
			or something like that

jon@msunix.UUCP (Jonathan Hue) (10/12/85)

Sorry folks, I forgot to add to the last message that if your riding
skills are a bit rusty or non-existant, take the MSF beginner or
advanced rider class.  Here in CA they are every month from March
to November, if enough people enroll.

			Jonathan Hue
			LMSC-Mechanisms & Servos

			(..ucbvax!amdcad!cae780!leadsv!msunix!jon)
			or something like that

roland@inmet.UUCP (10/17/85)

<I want to buy a nice comfortable (read: easy to handle) touring bike.
<[one interesting bike is] the BMW R80RT.  Of course, I can't afford that.
<By the way, I am looking for a bike which will cost about 2500.
<I will pay as much as 3000 if I have to (I would rather not).
<I am also willing to buy a used (but not too old) bike.

I've ridden a BMW (just one, 80K+ miles) for over 10 years
and worked on them as a professional mechanic for 5.
You should be able to find a 6-10 year old BMW in your price range.
I would not hesitate to buy one with 40-60K miles.
I personally know one 1971 R60/5 (600cc) with over 200K miles
pulling a sidecar that has had three valves and a clutch replaced
but has never been overhauled.  (I've persuaded the owner to
let me autopsy the beast when it does finally pull a one hoss shay.)

The usual caveats about buying any used motor vehicle apply.

mazlack@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (Lawrence J. &) (10/18/85)

><I want to buy a nice comfortable (read: easy to handle) touring bike.
><[one interesting bike is] the BMW R80RT.  Of course, I can't afford that.
><By the way, I am looking for a bike which will cost about 2500.
><I will pay as much as 3000 if I have to (I would rather not).
><I am also willing to buy a used (but not too old) bike.
>
>I've ridden a BMW (just one, 80K+ miles) for over 10 years
>and worked on them as a professional mechanic for 5.
>You should be able to find a 6-10 year old BMW in your price range.
>I would not hesitate to buy one with 40-60K miles.
>I personally know one 1971 R60/5 (600cc) with over 200K miles
>pulling a sidecar that has had three valves and a clutch replaced
>but has never been overhauled.  (I've persuaded the owner to
>let me autopsy the beast when it does finally pull a one hoss shay.)
>
>The usual caveats about buying any used motor vehicle apply.

Agreed.  You are better buying a good used machine that may well run
over 100K miles (not uncommon at all with a 2 cylinder BMW) than a new,
Japanese machine that may not make 25K without a major overhaul.