[net.cycle] Mono-shock/spring leakage

rls@ihu1g.UUCP (r.l. schieve) (10/28/85)

My 1982 Honda GL500 has started leaking fluid out of the boot
around the rear mono-shock/spring.  This is the single spring
with pneumatic assist in front of the rear tire.  It seems to
get worse when the temp gets below freezing so I believe a seal
must be shrinking.

Has anyone had any experience servicing one of these?  I do most
of my own service but if it takes $200 in special tools I would
rather get it done.  If I can do it myself right or wrong I only
have myself to blame.  Any comments?

				Rick Schieve
				...ihnp4!ihu1g!rls

marauder@fluke.UUCP (Bill Landsborough) (10/31/85)

In article <723@ihu1g.UUCP> rls@ihu1g.UUCP (r.l. schieve) writes:
>My 1982 Honda GL500 has started leaking fluid out of the boot
>around the rear mono-shock/spring.  This is the single spring
>with pneumatic assist in front of the rear tire.  It seems to
>get worse when the temp gets below freezing so I believe a seal
>must be shrinking.
>
>Has anyone had any experience servicing one of these?  I do most
>of my own service but if it takes $200 in special tools I would
>rather get it done.  If I can do it myself right or wrong I only
>have myself to blame.  Any comments?
>
>				Rick Schieve

I rebuilt a Yamaha Monoshock one time in '76 and it was not too
difficult.  As I recall the only "special tools" that I needed was
a spanner wrench to unscrew the first end cap.  There were a couple
of snap rings which required snap ring pliers of course, but other
than that I think you will have no major problems.
  You do know of course to bleed off the nitrogen pressure before
popping the thing open.  They contain about 300 psi.  And when you
get it rebuilt, you will have to take it to the dealer to pressurize
it unless you have a nitrogen tank handy...
  The important thing is to do it soon.  A leaking shock indicates
something is wrong and to expect the unexpected.  When my YZ400
shock went, I was going over a jump and the shock separated and
blew oil all over.  Then when I came down there was no shock, only
two pieces and the rear fender crashed down onto the rear tire and
I had an exciting time stopping and then getting back to our camp.

gt@hpfcla.UUCP (11/02/85)

>>/***** hpfcmt:net.cycle / ihu1g!rls /  7:21 am  Oct 28, 1985*/
>>My 1982 Honda GL500 has started leaking fluid out of the boot
>>around the rear mono-shock/spring.  This is the single spring
>>with pneumatic assist in front of the rear tire.  It seems to
>>get worse when the temp gets below freezing so I believe a seal
>>must be shrinking.
>>
>>Has anyone had any experience servicing one of these?  I do most
>>of my own service but if it takes $200 in special tools I would
>>rather get it done.  If I can do it myself right or wrong I only
>>have myself to blame.  Any comments?
>>
>>				Rick Schieve
>>				...ihnp4!ihu1g!rls
>>/* ---------- */

Most OEM rear single shocks are throw aways.  Save the spring and
order a good aftermarket shock from someone like FOX or Ohlins if
they make one for your bike.

George Tatge

grego@athena.UUCP (Grego Sanguinetti) (11/02/85)

> My 1982 Honda GL500 has started leaking fluid out of the boot
> around the rear mono-shock/spring.  This is the single spring
> with pneumatic assist in front of the rear tire.  It seems to
> get worse when the temp gets below freezing so I believe a seal
> must be shrinking.
>
> Has anyone had any experience servicing one of these?  I do most
> of my own service but if it takes $200 in special tools I would
> rather get it done.  If I can do it myself right or wrong I only
> have myself to blame.  Any comments?
>
> 				Rick Schieve
> 				...ihnp4!ihu1g!rls

	The rear wheel and suspension are no sweat to dissasemble
provided you have sockets to fit some of the larger nuts. The
shock seal could be a problem. If it is a factory unit with more
than a year of duty, I would replace it with an aftermarket
unit. Fox and Works Performance both make very good remote
reservoir shocks. If you really want to replace the seal, if
possible, then make sure you have a big vice securely bolted to
your worktable. You'll need a shock spring compressor for the
mono-shock's spring. Does it even have a spring or is it the air
bag only design? If it is the later then replace it, you won't
regret it.
			G.S. ...ucbvax!tektronix!teklds!grego