[net.cycle] Tank Bags

grego@athena.UUCP (Grego Sanguinetti) (08/20/85)

	I just got a Bagman 24liter for my 750 Interceptor. It has worked out
very well. I leave the mounting straps on the tank as I use the bag to
commute to work, and nearly everyplace else. The large map pocket and
large capacity turn out to be important features. The workmanship is very
good. It stays in place on the bike through *VERY* hard riding. The bag
doesn't interfere with the handlebars, even at full lock (big concern!).
I plan to buy the saddlebags before I go on my next trip.

	Has anyone out there had any experience with the Bagman saddlebags??

					Grego Sanguinetti

uucp:   {ucbcad,decvax,pur-ee,cbosg,ihnss}!tektronix!teklds!grego
CSnet:  grego@tek
ARPAnet:grego.tek@rand-relay

bob@pedsgd.UUCP (Robert A. Weiler) (08/22/85)

In article <333@athena.UUCP> grego@athena.UUCP (Grego Sanguinetti) writes:

>	Has anyone out there had any experience with the Bagman saddlebags??

Sure. I have a set of the soft jobs as well as a tank bag (18 liter ?). I
only used them on one moderately long trip ( ~3000 mi ) and they worked
pretty well. I didnt notice any adverse handling effects except for the
extra weight of the bike. They have a fairly nifty velcro + snap attach
system which makes them easy to put on and off. On the down side, you
shouldnt put any really heavy items in them (tools for instance) because
it will distort the shape. And on my bike ( Seca 750 ) you had to be
pretty careful in mounting to keep them from coming in contact with the
mufflers.  Also, despite the rain covers, an all day expressway rain storm
did manage to soak through a littlei and because they come off as quickly
for somebody else as they do for the owner. I beleive this flaws are shared
by all soft bags. Hope this helps.

>					Grego Sanguinetti
>
>uucp:   {ucbcad,decvax,pur-ee,cbosg,ihnss}!tektronix!teklds!grego
>CSnet:  grego@tek
>ARPAnet:grego.tek@rand-relay

Bob Weiler

connie@zaphod.UUCP (Connie Seidle) (08/24/85)

I purchase a set of Bagman Saddlebags this spring.  Here is my list of
good and bad points:

GOOD 	- lots of room
	- comes with a water repellant rain cover
	- good strong zippers with overlapping material
	- easy to mount and remove (2 clamps that can be left on
	permanently and one velcro strap with hooks)
	- good handles for carrying when off the bike

BAD	- very difficult to adjust height initially (but never
	has to be changed)
	- hooks on velcro strap may scratch your bike, but this can by
	cured by simply putting a piece of chamois under it when
	mounting
	- zippers are not rodent proof (squirrels, gophers etc. seem to
	enjoy chewing on them, and will go the great lengths, such as
	jumping from a rafter onto the top of the bag that is hanging
	by a rope, to sink their teeth in)

In general, I'm very pleased with them, and find them quite satisfactory
for my needs.

DACS

drake@think.ARPA (Chris Drake) (02/19/86)

  First off, I have never replied on this net before so take it
 easy on me O.K.?

 Last year when I was shopping for tank bag to compliment my brand
nwe Honda VF1000R, I noticed that they are very expensive! My sol-
ution was to use a color coordinated back-pack instead. If you do
too, find one that has a belly belt so it can be used under the back
of the gas tank. The shoulder straps go on each side of the front of
the tank. Put some foam rubber underneath the bag to protect the paint.

You have to cut off and secure the mateing straps to the front head-set
region. Also you have to give up on the idea that this can be quickly
removed. BUT... it costs one fifth the price, and looks like the real
thing.

jparnas@vger.UUCP (John M. Sully) (02/20/86)

I (alas) had a BagMan 18 liter (?) tank bag which I used with my Suzuki
GS1000 (I also used the BagMan soft saddlebags for longer trips).  I was
completely satified with this admittedly expensive soft luggage setup.

The tank bag could hold enough for a "credit card weekend" and had more
than adequate capacity for day trips.  It was extremely well built and
received constant use over a two year period, during which time it showed
no (!) ill effects.  It was just as sound on the day I sold the bike as
on the day I bought it.  The mounting system, although uglier than that
of the Eclipse is more solid, the bag would not shift around even under
the g-forces of serious backroads hijinks.  The bag itself is NOT water-
proof, rather BagMan supplies a waterproof cover (much like Kelty does
for their older backpacks) which can be placed over the bag to give it
completely waterproof qualities.  Overall I would give the tank bag an
A for quality and design, the saddlebags get a B for design and an A for
quality.

=====================================

John M. Sully

UUCP   : ...!ucbvax!ucscc!suzuki
BITNET : suzuki@ucscc.BITNET
ARPA   : ucscc!suzuki@ucbvax.berkeley.edu

You can tell your friends you didn't get a ticket tonight because you were
honest
				-- LAPD Officer after stopping me on an H2

fbr@utastro.UUCP (Frank Ray) (02/21/86)

In article <4333@think.ARPA>, drake@think.ARPA (Chris Drake) writes:
  .
  .
  .
> You have to cut off and secure the mateing straps to the front head-set
> region. Also you have to give up on the idea that this can be quickly
> removed. BUT... it costs one fifth the price, and looks like the real
> thing.

ALSO, upholstery and fabric stores sell the standard plastic fasteners
used on many tank bags.  These are two parts, one female socket to
leave on the bike, and a male to stitch to a strap on the bag.
The male has two prongs on the sides that deform when you shove them
into the female.  Just squeeze to release.  Happy sewing!

fbr@utastro.UUCP

hodges@ucla-cs.UUCP (02/22/86)

In defense of Eclipse bags...I purchased a bagman for my interceptor
(ages ago) for the same reasons.  It was beatifully made and looked
like it would last forever.  Alas, it wouldn't fit on the (then) new
frame of the Honda.  So with tears in my eyes I returned it for an
Eclipse bag.  But the story has a happy ending, the bag has been superb
for three years now, never slips like the Bagman people would have you
believe, is extremely easy to readjust, and in general is as good a
bag as I'd ever expect to need.

Personally I get off the road when it rains, but made a cover just in
case.  Have never used it.