[net.cycle] Projecting Fear and Non Aggression

marauder@fluke.UUCP (Bill Landsborough) (02/17/86)

After reading Todd's article I wanted to post this observation and see
if other riders have noticed the same thing.

I have noticed that when a rider like Todd is very cautious and wears
orange and does all of the right things to make himself visible
including driving under the speed limit in the proper lane, that
automobile driver tend to intimidate them or try to intimidate them.
This is typically the tail gaters and the lane cutters which he
described.

On the other hand is the rider in full, black leathers with no helmet
and very dim or non existant headlight.  Noone ever rides his tail or
cuts him off (at least semi-intentionally) or squeezes him out of his
lane.  His visibility is marginal to poor yet everyone around him
knows exactly where he is and makes sure not to violate his rights.

My conclusion is the projection of fear on the part of the
motorcyclist.  If you project the message that "I am afraid you might
not see me and may hurt me", they will squeeze you like a bug if you
are in their way.  On the other hand if you project "If you mess with
me you are going to pay dearly" attitude and look like you can back it
up, noone will drive within 40 feet of you.

Interesting creatures, we humans...

					Bill Landsborough

----

"Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful; it is not
arrogant or rude... Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all
things, endures all things."   1 Corinthians 13:4-7

donch@teklabs.UUCP (Don Chitwood) (02/19/86)

This is a most interesting subject and one that I often ponder as I
am biking, particularly on a long ride.

I happen to wear a black leather jacket, a black Nava Helmet, and
sometimes black leather pants.  My cycle is a black Moto Guzzi 850T.
The choice of black apparel was suggested by Langlitz Leathers, who
made my jacket (marvelous jacket and great folks to know and deal with).
Their comment was that the black leather was a better choice for durability
and spill protection owing to the processes used to produce it.  My original
choice was a light  brown, which was a more supple leather, but they
queried me about my wants and riding style and strongly suggested the black.

What is interesting is how people respond to me when I'm shopping or otherwise
on foot but still fully "leathered".  I get quite a fear or apprehension
response from many people, so much so that I take pains to open up the
jacket to disarm the "black appearance".  Oddly, I find myself having a
reserved response to other bikers dressed similarly if I don't know them.

As far as traffic is concerned, I have rarely been a target, to my knowledge.
On the other hand, I assume that nobody else on the road sees me, a point of
view that has saved my skin numerous times.  Whether or not my driving
style or apparel has any influence on how I'm treated on the road, I know
not.

To me, the greatest driving hazard on the road is a wood-chip truck.
What with all the lumber industry around here, one often encounters these
huge semi trucks with a load of wood chips loosely held in my a mesh structure.
The wind picks up the wood chips and even a full face helmet is no protection
against a cloud of chips.  They get in my eyes and the agony is extreme.
Vision goes to hell.

Another one is dump trucks with a load of gravel.  They constantly shed gravel
and rocks, particularly with every bump.  A rock the size of a football once
carommed off the back of a dumptruck I was following on the freeway.  The rock
was spinning erratically across the road in front of me, so there was no way
not to hit it.  Happily this was in my car; unhappily it wiped out two tires,
tweeked the steering and dented two brand new alloy wheels beyond use.  On
a bike, I probably could have avoided it if seen.

The moral:  be alert at all times.  Also a little bit of aggressiveness
(NOT obnoxious-ness) can help define your space on the road.

All for save driving!

Don Chitwood
TekLabs
Tektronix, Inc.

marria@diablo.ARPA (Michael Marria) (02/20/86)

Followup-To:net.cycle

In article <3099@vax4.fluke.UUCP> marauder@fluke.UUCP (Bill Landsborough) writes:
>After reading Todd's article I wanted to post this observation and see
>if other riders have noticed the same thing.
>
>I have noticed that when a rider like Todd is very cautious and wears
>orange and does all of the right things to make himself visible
>including driving under the speed limit in the proper lane, that
>automobile driver tend to intimidate them or try to intimidate them.
>This is typically the tail gaters and the lane cutters which he
>described.

	It has been mentioned that the gnarlier look will have a
better effect at commanding attention of those drivers who
might not respect such fundamentals as `public' roads etc.
	There is also (my experience) a difference achevieved
in the type of headgear one sports. The full-face helmet, for
starters, relinquishes your apparent human factor. When a motorist
cannot see your eyes and face, you become a non-entity, a machine.
This is greatly to your disadvantage particularily as you cannot establish
eye contact. Very important. (not to mention the general visual and auditory
direction losses suffered)
	With this in mind, the open-face helmet is more advantagious.
	The non-helmet (don flame proofing) is clearly the best.
You have full visibility, auditory and can establish immediately to
the potential, hazard-in-the-cage that yes, you are watching him/her/it.
	As we all know, no helmet is safer than wearing one anyway.
	Black leathers, beard, a motorcycle that looks like it belongs
on the hi-ways (not at Toys-R-Us) will without a doubt get lots of
attention from everybody.(unfortunately at times)

463,000 miles upright
50 feet down wrong
still riding

--

Michael R. Marria                                  glacier!diablo!marria
Stanford University   (415) 497-6240               marria@su-aimvax.ARPA

phil@osiris.UUCP (Philip Kos) (02/20/86)

> .... My conclusion is the projection of fear on the part of the
> motorcyclist....
>
> 					Bill Landsborough

I have noticed similar behavior since I got rid of my old CB450 and
picked up a new Sportster.  In my case, I don't *try* to project an
"If you mess with me..." attitude, I make all reasonable efforts to
be visible, and I didn't run out and get a dozen tattoos and some
official Hell's Angels colors, but it does seem like my change of
mounts has gotten me a lot more respect on the roads.  (I *do* wear
the black leather, but that's because it's still the most common
color.)

On the other hand, it hasn't made people antagonistic to me at all -
children wave and folks are just as friendly and talkative when you
stop along the road.  So maybe the intimidation only affects the bad
drivers.

Phil Kos
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

	-	-	-	-	-	-	-

Always remember: 90% of the drivers out there don't see you, and
the 10% who do have been paid to take you out.  RIDE PARANOID.

animal@ihlpa.UUCP (D. Starr) (02/20/86)

> ...My conclusion is the projection of fear on the part of the
> motorcyclist.  If you project the message that "I am afraid you might
> not see me and may hurt me", they will squeeze you like a bug if you
> are in their way.  On the other hand if you project "If you mess with
> me you are going to pay dearly" attitude and look like you can back it
> up, noone will drive within 40 feet of you.

I've noticed a similar effect since I started riding Harleys four years
ago.  For some reason I seem to get noticed a lot more on a black Sportster
than on a bright orange Suzuki (my riding apparel didn't change).  I can
only attribute this to the car pointers seeing me as a Bad Dude because I
ride a Hog.

On a similar tack, the MSF rider courses emphasize the idea of striking an
"aggressive" lane position.  That is, occupy as much of your lane as you
can, in a way that forces car pointers to give you space.  (i. e., sit
in the left track of the lane, and hold this position when being
passed, to force the car to go all the way into the other lane--and to leave
yourself an out if the fool doesn't!)  Everybody I've ever known who's
managed to avoid car/bike accidents for a long time (including myself)
seems to agree that you end up playing a continual game of chicken with
the cars; if you let them push you around they inevitably will.

If you really want to get respect from the car pointers, though, try
dressing your bike and yourself like a cop.  Put a big silver star on
the gas tank and a huge CB antenna on the back, dress yourself in blue
uniform pants and shirt, and wear one of those worthless half-helmets.
No joke, THIS REALLY WORKS!  When you go 55, *everybody* goes 55, and
nobody intrudes in your space.  The only drawbacks to this approach are
legal (the line between legality and "impersonating an officer" is very
thin, and subject to local interpretation), and the fact that many of your
riding buddies may prefer not to be seen with you.

		Dan Starr

marauder@fluke.UUCP (Bill Landsborough) (02/25/86)

In article <1134@ihlpa.UUCP> animal@ihlpa.UUCP (D. Starr) writes:

>If you really want to get respect from the car pointers, though, try
>dressing your bike and yourself like a cop.  Put a big silver star on
>the gas tank and a huge CB antenna on the back, dress yourself in blue
>uniform pants and shirt, and wear one of those worthless half-helmets.
>No joke, THIS REALLY WORKS!  When you go 55, *everybody* goes 55, and
>nobody intrudes in your space.  The only drawbacks to this approach are
>legal (the line between legality and "impersonating an officer" is very
>thin, and subject to local interpretation), and the fact that many of your
>riding buddies may prefer not to be seen with you.
>
>		Dan Starr

Thats a good idea Dan until the duped car drivers realize that they
have been tricked and are still right next to you in traffic.  Then
retaliation becomes their goal....

The ideal trick would be to follow someone about 100 yards behind them
so they can't recognize that it is a masquerade.  Boy that sure
bothers me when someone does it to me!

				Bill Landsborough