[net.cycle] most obnoxious drivers awards

toddv@copper.UUCP (Todd Vierheller) (02/21/86)

[EAT ME]

I received this in my private mail, but upon reflection (and since it is now
*MY* mail), I decided to post it to the net so everyone can benefit from the
wisdom of Jack Hodges (and the last word in macho).  This cracked me up.
Thanks for a good laugh, Jack.  My comments are in brackets [].

                            Todd Vierheller  (the wimpy one)

+
+ From: Jack Hodges <unc!seismo!columbia!locus.ucla.edu!hodges>
+ wimp who rides one of those sit-up 400cc turtle bikes.  I suppose
+ that you have a visor-type helmet too?  And you ride in the rain because
+ you have one of those snazzy suits?

[That's me all right.  I lay awake nights hoping to be a cool guy like you
someday.]

                                       You see, anyone can generate a stupid
+ prototype based on limited experience.

[You do an admirable job.]

+
+ Have you ever stopped to wonder how many people driving trucks do so
+ because they own bikes?

[Well, well, well.  And I thought *I* was the only one who ever used a pickup
to transport my bike.  You mean to say other people do that too?]

                           Some guys like to haul their bikes to remote
+ areas and get crazy on real roads or in the dirt.  MOST of the people
+ that I know who own trucks are pretty considerate.  If there is a group
+ of people driving cars that is consistently known for eating bikers I

[Who said they eat bikers?  I said they tried...   These guys are too stupid
to pull it off.]

+ have yet to see the statistic...all car drivers seem to be blind to
+ bikers!  But then again, I am blind to bikers while driving MY 4X4
+ too!

[You macho guy!]

+
+ You don't have much of a complaint, friend, and most of your woes would
+ be erradicated by being a little more aggressive on the road.  Lane
+ splitting is not something most bikers do for kicks, but because (until
+ recently, and certainly not on turtle wimp bikes) BIKES BREATHE AIR AND
+ ARE COOLED BY AIR.  The law lets us split lanes so that we don't burn up
+ in b/b traffic.  Ask a chp sometime if you wonder.  As for your problems
+ sounds like a little power and a squeeze of the throttle would help a lot.
+ NO car gets that close to me, I've only one body and I want to keep it
+ for a while.  Its quite another matter to race the white line at 100 mph
+ but surely everyone would agree with that.  I've talked to chp bikers
+ about jumping, and staying in front of traffic.  They agree that this is
+ wise for bikers (as long as you don't get overzealous).  Have you ever seen
+ a chp biker ride the line?  Are they crazy too?  Have you ever seen a chp
+ biker closed in on by a truck?  They get the F*& out of there.  A rule of
+ thumb for bikers is that "safety is a state of the wrist".  Use it and use it
+ often.

[Oh..... Jack!  You make my wimpy heart dizzy with trepidation.]

+
+ I see people on bikes all the time which frighten me like you won't believe,
+ and you sound like one.

[You?  Frightened?  Come on now!]

                           Riding a bike in traffic is not for the weak of
+ heart, hell riding isn't.  If you're not willing to be aggressive and
+ confident (not crazy - they ARE different) then you're looking for death
+ more than me riding between lanes.  Maybe you should join the ranks of
+ nameless people in those little box cars in b/b traffic and be "safe", its
+ really no loss to the M/C community as far as I can tell.
+
[Thanks for the thoughtful advice Jack;  I'll give it all the consideration it's
due.  Really!  :-)]
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

srt@ucla-cs.UUCP (02/28/86)

Damn Tom, you're a bonehead.  And I guess its up to me to point out why.
In excruciating detail.

>I received this in my private mail...

Read the netiquette article, Tom.  While you have every legal right to post
private mail, it is considered an embarrassing faux pas to do so.

>+
>+ wimp who rides one of those sit-up 400cc turtle bikes.  I suppose
>+ that you have a visor-type helmet too?  And you ride in the rain because
>+ you have one of those snazzy suits?
>
>[That's me all right.  I lay awake nights hoping to be a cool guy like you
>someday.]
>
>                                       You see, anyone can generate a stupid
>+ prototype based on limited experience.

I advised Jack not to use a clever argument on the net.  They tend to sail
right over the heads of people like Todd.  The point is, Todd (let me explain
it in six year old language) that you made a sweeping generalization about
truck drivers.  Jack made a sweeping generalization about turtle bike
riders.  Get it?

And if you really wanted to shoot down the turtle bike argument, you would
have mentioned the monster bike you do ride.  Since you don't, I think we
can safely assume that you ride a Honda Elite 80.

>+
>+ Have you ever stopped to wonder how many people driving trucks do so
>+ because they own bikes?
>
>[Well, well, well.  And I thought *I* was the only one who ever used a pickup
>to transport my bike.  You mean to say other people do that too?]

Todd is *implying* here that he owns or frequently uses a pickup truck,
without actually saying that is so.  As with the turtle bike above, I think
we can safely assume that Todd neither owns nor knows much about trucks.

> But then again, I am blind to bikers while driving MY 4X4
>+ too!
>
>[You macho guy!]

Uh, oh, time for more six year old language so Todd will understand what
we're talking about!  The point is, Todd, that a 4X4 Pickup truck (or
any other pickup for that matter) has even less visibility than a car.
So what you are attributing to malice might be more easily explained by
physical factors.

>+ You don't have much of a complaint, friend, and most of your woes would
>+ be erradicated by being a little more aggressive on the road...
>
>[Oh..... Jack!  You make my wimpy heart dizzy with trepidation.]

Tough shit, Todd.  I agree with Jack.  I ride a broken down 10 year old
XS500, and I don't have any of the problems you describe.  I laugh at
pickup trucks that try to push me around...a flick of the wrist and I'm
out of there.  Get yourself a bike with some CCs or a little backbone and
I think you'll see your problems disappear.  In the meantime, quit whining
about it here.

(I mean, for ghod's sake, you're complaining about people who go down the
wrong aisle in parking lots!  How wimpy can you get?  You can't handle THAT
situation?  Ride the bus.)

    Scott R. Turner
    ARPA:  (now) srt@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA  (soon) srt@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU
    UUCP:  ...!{cepu,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!srt
    FISHNET:  ...!{flounder,crappie,flipper}!srt@fishnet-relay.arpa