[net.cycle] Obnoxious driver awards

toddv@copper.UUCP (Todd Vierheller) (02/25/86)

[EAT ME]

>> I drive a pickup truck (4 wheel drive, no less).
>> I own four motorcycles.

I envy you.  I wish I had a pickup and four motorcycles.  I'd settle for
a pickup and three motorcycles.  I'd settle just for three motorcycles.
Oh well.

>> I split lanes regularly.

If you did that where I live you'd get arrested.  It's illegal.  (Oregon)

>> I try not to ride in a way that lets cars (or trucks) bother me.
>> Speed up or get out of the slow lane, and people won't tailgate you.

I ride daily (5 of 7) in rush-hour traffic.  That means there is a vehicle
immediately in front of me, immediately behind me, and one just off my right
handlebar.  (Can you guess what false assumption(s) you made?    Hint:  all
exits aren't on the right.)  I make an attempt to keep at least 1 car length
between my self and the car in front of me for each 60 mph.  I prefer 1.5 .

>> Stop wearing that bright orange vest, and they won't aim at you.

This is starting to sound like a good idea.  But I believe that everyone is
out to get me.  How unsporting to make myself hard to see.

>> Seriously, I ignored your posting originally on net.auto, where I expect
>> this kind of narrow-minded attitude, but please keep it off net.cycle.

Sorry, but my attitude isn't the problem.  The problem is your reaction to
a valid conclusion drawn from repeated observations of deviant driver behavior.
It's certainly not my fault that the offensive twits like pickups.  And unless
you are amongst their ranks, there's no reason for you to be upset.

                                               Todd Vierheller

struve@calma.UUCP (Dimetry Struve) (02/27/86)

Well, Todd, I've been thinking that I owe you an apology for my flame,
even though it was pretty mild compared to at least one other response.
I think drivers in California are a lot more careful around motorcycles
than elsewhere, judging by some of the comments I've seen on the net lately.
I also commute regularly on my bike, and I really DON'T have problems with
cars (or pickups!). By the way, if you are familiar with this area, I commute
southbound on 101 in the evenings, and I don't think it gets much orse than
that. Ride carefully, and remember, the car drivers are just jealous 'cause
they're not having fun like we are!

On another subject, I really don't want four motorcycles! Two are for sale:

	1981 Honda CB900F (original owner)
	Sport Control Kit, Fox Shox, Laser + MP7, Windjammer, Krauser Stars
	Looks and runs well - high mileage
	$850

	1982 Kawasaki GpZ550 (2d owner)
	Stock with Metzelers (new rear)
	One dent in tank, otherwise clean, runs very well
	$800

	Call me for details - Dimitry Struve (408)943-5258 work
					                  227-2730 home

dist@gc49.UUCP (71GC060820) (02/27/86)

In article <200@copper.UUCP> toddv@copper.UUCP (Todd Vierheller) writes:
>>> I split lanes regularly.
>I ride daily (5 of 7) in rush-hour traffic.  That means there is a vehicle
>immediately in front of me, immediately behind me, and one just off my right
>handlebar.  (Can you guess what false assumption(s) you made?    Hint:  all
>exits aren't on the right.)  I make an attempt to keep at least 1 car length
>between my self and the car in front of me for each 60 mph.  I prefer 1.5 .

One car length for each "60" mph???  I defy anyone out there to stop
a cycle going 60 mph in one car length (of course unless you run into
the back of the car, that should stop you rather suddenly!)

mat@mtx5a.UUCP (m.terribile) (03/03/86)

> >I ride daily (5 of 7) in rush-hour traffic.  That means there is a vehicle
> >immediately in front of me, immediately behind me, and one just off my right
> >handlebar.  (Can you guess what false assumption(s) you made?    Hint:  all
> >exits aren't on the right.)  I make an attempt to keep at least 1 car length
> >between my self and the car in front of me for each 60 mph.  I prefer 1.5 .
>
> One car length for each "60" mph???  I defy anyone out there to stop
> a cycle going 60 mph in one car length (of course unless you run into
> the back of the car, that should stop you rather suddenly!)

This last author is from NC if I believe the article header.

I invite him to ride the Garden State Parkway at 08:15 on a weekday morning.
Or the Long Island Expressway at 07:35.  Or the Saw Mill River Parkway at
07:15 .  Or the FDR (East River) Drive at anytime between 06:30 and 19:00 .

The Long Island Expressway, also known as the Big LIE or the World's Longest
Parking Lot, can go from 60 to 0 in 0 seconds.  And back again.  The Saw
Mill River Parkway was the first parkway in the country.  It was called a
parkway because it went through a park, and it was designed for leisurely
travel . . . you could do 30 on most sections, but you'd miss the scenery,
and it some places were only safe for 20 or so.  It's now used by 60 MPH
rush hour traffic.  Oh, the Bronx River Parkway is worse.  There are
90 degree turnds with an inner radius of half the width of the road, and
people's driveways right on the shoulderless parkway.  And it is presumably
legal, if suicidal, to cross the double yellow line when entering or leaving
a driveway!  Yes, double yellow line.  NOT barrier!

The East River Drive is the most fun of all.  Ever want to learn how to fly?
You can do it in your car on the roller-coaster stretches.  The best one is
southbound, just after you emerge from under the UN.  Then there are the
unbanked airpine turns 4 and 5 stories off the ground to get onto the
Brooklyn Bridge, the Caddy-eating potholes down by Houston Street.  (dat's
pronounced House-ton, mista!) and NONE of it slows traffic significantly.
(Of course, you gotta have the Right Stuff to drive in NYC anyway . . .)

1.5 car lengths at 60 MPH is too much under these circumstances.  Some
asshole WILL cut in front of you.  About .8 car lengths is all you can manage,
and someone will STILL try.

In New York, other cars are simply obstacles, unless they are parked, in
which case they are potential income.
--

	from Mole End			Mark Terribile
		(scrape .. dig )	mtx5b!mat