[net.cycle] Need classroom demonstration gyroscope

mojo@kepler.UUCP (Morris Jones) (04/01/86)

I apologize if you feel I'm polluting your group with an inappropriate
article.  There is no "net.teaching-supplies."  :-)

I'm a teaching assistant in a motorcycle rider course accredited by
the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.  During the teaching of the course
it would be extremely useful to have a large gyroscope to demonstrate
the physical principle behind "countersteering" -- the process of
applying pressure to the handlebars in the direction that will force
the motorcycle to lean into a turn.

When I was in junior high, my science teacher demonstrated gyroscopic
forces using what was essentially a bicycle wheel with a pair of
handgrips attached to the axle.  Many other friends from widely
scattered parts of the country have told me they were instructed
with a similar device.

Do you know where I could find one of these?

Please reply by mail.

--
Mojo
... Morris Jones, MicroPro Product Development

piner@pur-phy.UUCP (Richard Piner) (04/04/86)

In article <562@kepler.UUCP> mojo@kepler.UUCP (Morris Jones) writes:
>When I was in junior high, my science teacher demonstrated gyroscopic
>forces using what was essentially a bicycle wheel with a pair of
>handgrips attached to the axle.  Many other friends from widely
>scattered parts of the country have told me they were instructed
>with a similar device.
>
>Do you know where I could find one of these?

Simple, Sargent-Welch,Skokie,IL,312-677-0600. Catalog # 0975. Price $75.
The price is a couple of years old, so it may have gone up.

					Richard Piner
					piner@pur-phy.UUCP