[net.cycle] re Drag your knee lately?

kgdykes@watbun.UUCP (04/22/86)

>From: dob@ihlpa.UUCP (Daniel M. O'Brien)
>I also read in one of the current (6 months or so) mags that one shouldn't
>use your engine too agressively when slowing down.  Brake pads are better and
>easier to replace then connecting rods and bearings.  This makes sense and I
>have been incorporating this into my riding style, but it took some getting
>used to.

Actually, the way I believe it, it's not so much wear and tear on engines
(after all, the bikes ARE disposable anyway?? ;-)
But rather, using down-shifts for braking doesnt provide you with the "control"
of the AMOUNT of braking power you get.
Imagine, on gravel, downshift, sliiiiiiiiide.
Brake levers give you so much better fine-control over braking.
But it's alright for ME to do it (-: since my 2-stroke doesnt have such
grossly severe compression...

>And what about this knee dragging stuff, anyway?
Ride one of those 40cc kids bikes, your knees will ALWAYS drag! ;-)

>--
>                        Daniel M. O'Brien (ihnp4!ihlpa!dob)
>                        AT&T Bell Laboratories

          - Ken Dykes    [rd350b, rz350k]
            Software Development Group, U. of Waterloo
            Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.  N2L 3G1  (+1 519) 885 1211
            {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,utzoo}!watmath!watbun!kgdykes
            kgdykes%watbun@waterloo.csnet

You're likely to find that every time you head off to the corner store
you'l spend three hours tearing around the hills, giggling to yourself
all the while as you gobble up 750s and 1000s that are foolish
enough to get in your way.
      -Cycle Canada, Apr.81, Rd350 review