[net.cycle] WHHHOOOOOSHSHSH

robert@sri-spam.ARPA (Robert Allen) (04/29/86)

In article <5642@sri-spam.ARPA>, ehrhart@sri-spam.ARPA (Tim Ehrhart) writes:
    Regarding helmets....
> I know what you mean, I've always bought Bell's because they had individual
> hat sizes instead of the "normal" S-M-L-XL sizes from most of the other
> makers. I find myself in something of the same dilemna. My Bell Star II is
> giving up the gun but I personally don't like the styling of any of the new
> Bell offerings and the Shoei's which I like don't offer enough range of fit.
> Medium is too tight and large is too big. Sort of like Goldilocks and the
> two helmets. Do any other of the current makers offering sexy features like
> venting, ratcheting shields, flush closing shields, and great graphics offer
> hat size ranges ?

I've got a Schoei Z-100V which I like.  It comes in hat sizes (the largest
being 7-3/4, has movable upper and lower vents, and fits me.  This last is
important, as I tried one of the newer Marushins and my jaw kept hitting
the front of the helmet.  Also, I've noticed that now that I've worn my
Shoei for a while that the foam inside is compressing a little, which gives
me more room than I had originally, which was somewhat of a tight fit.
It's also reasonably quiet, although you can still tell that you're riding
a motorcycle.

				Robert Allen, robert@sri-spam.ARPA

fbr@utastro.UUCP (Frank Ray) (04/29/86)

In article <5642@sri-spam.ARPA>, ehrhart@sri-spam.ARPA (Tim Ehrhart) writes:
> Do any other of the current makers offering sexy features like
> venting, ratcheting shields, flush closing shields, and great graphics offer
> hat size ranges ?
>
> -Tim Ehrhart

NAVA fiberglass (not ABS) is a wonderful helmet.  Quiet, good fit,
nifty shield.  I made one mod. to the shield, painting a band (on the
inside) near the bottom so that when the shield is open, it serves
to block sunlight from overhead.  The band is not so wide that
peripheral vision is blocked, nor does it obviate partial shield
openings.  Also, Sony personal stereo headphones (or Akai) when
removed from their armature make a neat installation.  I terminated
them in a female mini-plug from Radio Shack, mounted about mid-jaw
on the left. (The male jack sticking out is reminiscent of Frankenstein
makeup.  I'm still looking for a good molded right angle jack to
correct this somewhat bizarre image.)

These helmets can often be found on sale (!) for about $130.  But,
it comes with a protective bag, and you could have this one for years.

Be kind to your cranium.  It may contain valuable structures
that could lead you to years of happiness.

fbr@utastro

ron@hpfcmt.UUCP (05/02/86)

An alternative solution to the noise problem (and LOTS cheaper)
is to wear earplugs.  The windscreen on my CB900F tends to place
the maximum amount of turbulent air, right at the top of my face shield.
Rather than spending big bucks changing the bike, I ride with earplugs.

Earplugs do NOT screen out ALL noise, it simply reduces the volume. I still
hear cars in traffic and can hear funny things in the engine (if they are
there) but don't have ringing ears after a long ride.

I'm kind of fanatical about protecting my hearing but it has paid off.
The last flight physical I took the examiner said I had hearing like
a First Grader and I'm 30 years old !  :-)

Ron ("Huh ?") Miller
hpfcla!ron

sat@tifsie (05/09/86)

> An alternative solution to the noise problem (and LOTS cheaper)
> is to wear earplugs. ...
>
> Earplugs do NOT screen out ALL noise, it simply reduces the volume. I still
> hear cars in traffic and can hear funny things in the engine (if they are
> there) but don't have ringing ears after a long ride.

> Ron ("Huh ?") Miller
> hpfcla!ron

I have been using ear plugs for long rides for several years now.  They
are a definite plus after you get off of the bike (no more ringing ears).
I used to have an '83 Honda Interstate that I rode from Texas to Canada
a couple of years ago.  When I forgot to put my ear plugs in, my next
road stop included "de-ringing" time (Yes, I had a helmet on too).
I don't use them around town though.

Scott Thomson
tifsie!sat