[net.cycle] Fairings for Honda VF700 Magna

dat@ihu1g.UUCP (Thomas) (05/21/86)

Would someone please reprint the article that went around about fairings
for the Honda VF700 Magna?

Also, does anyone have any experience with the National Plexifairing?

				Dave Thomas
				AT&T Bell Laboratories
				ihnp4!ihu1g!dat

ehrhart@sri-spam.ARPA (Tim Ehrhart) (05/23/86)

In article <850@ihu1g.UUCP>, dat@ihu1g.UUCP (Thomas) writes:

> Also, does anyone have any experience with the National Plexifairing?

SUBJECTIVE:
I had a National Plexifairing III an my old FT500 Ascot. I pretty much used
it in the winter and when it rained. It was GREAT being able to put it on
or take it off in about 2 minutes. Also great whenever you go on your weekend
or week-long bike camping trips. You have the benefits of protection AND
less wind fatigue and noise while riding from place to place with your bike
loaded up. But as soon as I got to a campsite and unloaded all the gear off
my bike, I PROMPTLY removed my windshield which facilitated allowing canyon
carving on an unloaded & unfaired bike. Nothing like having your cake and
eating it too.

OBJECTIVE:
Quality of the parts is very high, the manner in which they mount the braces
to the windshield is in my estamation superior to the oft-used concept of
drilling a hole in the plexiglass and attaching a the brace with a screw
through a rubber grommet. This way vibrates like hell and can cause the shield
to crack. National has attached a rubber socket to the windshield at the factory,
so all you do it insert the brace (with a ball on the end) into the socket and
your are ready to attach it to the braces on the handlebars and forks. Protection
is excellent; covers top of knees to over top of helmet, and full hand coverage.
Ah yes, all this protection comes at some cost though. It robbed power and gas
mileage from my thumper (went from about 58 MPG unfaired to about 53 MPG faired)
like hell, was really noticeable on my old bike because I didn't have any
power to spare anyway. On larger or more powerful bikes you probably won't have
such a drastic difference. I think all this loss came from the fact that the
thing just wasn't all that aerodynamic (it couldn't have been to give all that
protection.) I don't recall it having much problems with side-blasts either.
Maybe other folks experienced it differently, but I don't think I was ever blown
around much in open wind or as I was passing 18 wheelers.

COSMETICS:
I didn't find it looked all that great on the bike, but that wasn't its purpose.
You definitely want to get the smoked glass version, looks MUCH better than just
the clear version. All the mounting hardware is blacked out so it kinda blends
into the bike. And when I didn't have the shield mounted (about 8 months out
of the year) I just left the handlebar and fork mounting hardware on because I
didn't feel it detracted from the looks.

SUMMARY:
Loved it for what I used it for, won't buy one for my new bike (1985 Nighthawk)
though. But that's because I really don't like windshields, did it for cold and
rain protection. (I ride 53 miles a day year round in SF bay area). But now I
have a great rain suit that doesn't even leak without windshield. But that's
another story. Now if I can just conquer the cold...

Tim Ehrhart		415-859-5842