[net.cycle] re Re re Seat belts, Helmets and Freedom of Choice

kgdykes@watbun.UUCP (07/30/86)

>From: hsc@mtuxo.UUCP (h.cohen)
>
>> Motor vehicle safety lies within the OPERATION of vehicle and
>>not trying to lessen the effects of a collision, like medicine,
>If avoidance could eliminate essentially all of the problem,
>then there would be no need for treatment.  In the real world, clearly,
>there is a need for both.
People involved in 10-speed accidents can "greatly benefit" from helmets too!
Where is the law?
>> To many people helmets "obviously" help in the treatment side of
>>accidents, there are studies that show how helmets actually
>>cause more complicated injuries.
>This is quite simply not true.  Opponents of helmet laws do their
SIMPLY NOT TRUE?!? those studies do exists, i have read them over the
years, are you going to make me dig thru reference libraries??
I said, and keep saying, it is NOT CUT AND DRY (ie: not SIMPLE at all)
>>Also, the worst part of head injuries
>>is the SUDDEN DECELERATION of the brain against the skull,
>>no helment can help that.
>Helmets have three primary functions: protection from abrasion,
>penetration, and decelleration.
>...by the crushable liner.  Decelleration of the brain against the skull
>can be reduced by two orders of magnitude by a helmet.
LEGAL helmets can be open-faced, where is the padding? My last severe
accident I slid on MY FACE with OPEN helmet for about 10 yards - lost
my beard and a lot of lower lip. Good headache. Good abrasion.

   ...to be continued... (stupid mailer)