[net.cycle] Helmets

norcott@cca.UUCP (Bill Norcott) (05/13/85)

	I would like to recommend a good helmet at a cheap price.  The
Arai Astro-Vent helmet is a full face helmet with built in ventilation.
This helmet is a discontinued model, it has been replaced by the Super
Vent, but some are still available at a super-cheap $87.95 from California
Accessories Warehouse.  This helmet received an A+ rating for comfort and
safety from a survey by "Motorcyclist" of 53 full-face helmets (made in
1984).  It listed at $159, but scored better than helmets selling for much
more (even Bell)!  They only have black or white helmets left now, but if
you're more concerned with comfort & protection than looks, its the cheapest
and best helmet still available.  This helmet passes the DOT & the new Snell
'85 safety standards, too.  These are the most comfortables helmets I've
found & they're great for keeping down wind noise, too.
	I would recommend the Astro-Vent to anyone, they're a great bargain
while they last.  Just make sure you measure the circumference of your head
to assure the proper fit if you buy any helmet through the mail.
	Good luck & happy riding!                            Bill

tjiang@Shasta.ARPA (10/01/85)

I am in the market for a good motorcycle helmet.  Can any riders
recommend brands or give suggestions on how to get a good, comfortable
and safe fit?  I'd like to know exactly how tight the helment should
be?  Is it okay to have a little bit of slop or does it absolutely
have to be pressed up against the face?

howard@sfmag.UUCP (H.M.Moskovitz) (10/02/85)

> I am in the market for a good motorcycle helmet.  Can any riders
> recommend brands or give suggestions on how to get a good, comfortable
> and safe fit?  I'd like to know exactly how tight the helment should
> be?  Is it okay to have a little bit of slop or does it absolutely
> have to be pressed up against the face?

Personally, I am a fan of Shoei helmets. I have two; an S-12 which is
a good mid-priced helmet, and a Z-100 which is (or was) their top of
line and is one of the very best on the market. They are comfortable,
very well built and Snell (as well as DOT) approved. The Z-100 would run
about $125-$140 mail order (depending on place and color of helmet).

As for fit, a helmet is supposed to be snug without being uncomfortable.
A good one will have enough padding so that it fits snugly without pinching
your noggin. Only a very small amount of free-play is acceptable, otherwise
in an accident it could spin on your head and the chinstrap could choke you
or even break your neck! Also if it is too loose, the helmet will float
when you travle at highway speeds, i.e., the wind will try to lift it
off your head.

GOOD RIDING...

					Howard Moskovitz
					AT&T Info. Systems
					attunix!howard

bjc@drutx.UUCP (CampbellBJ) (10/02/85)

According to the instructor at the Motorcycle Rider Course, your helmet
should fit snugly, but not tight, i.e., when you shake your head from
side to side, your helmet should barely move.  Don't forget, it will
loosen up a little.

Whether to get a full-face helmet is the rider's decision, i would
recommend it.  I have a full-face and have seen nice big bug splats that
would otherwise have hit my face, besides the consideration of rain
hitting you while going 35+, sand, etc.

A D.O.T. approved helmet is virtually useless, make sure it is Snell
approved.  Expect to pay $150+ for a really good helmet, but i would
pick out the brand and size at my local parts store, then mail order
it through those mail-order houses that advertise in the motorcycle
magazines for about $30+ less, no postage and handling, about 7-10
days delivery time.

I have a Simpson full-face helmet and have been really pleased with
it.  No problems with noise, etc.

Good luck

Becky

dob@ihlpa.UUCP (Daniel M. O'Brien) (10/03/85)

> I am in the market for a good motorcycle helmet.  Can any riders
> recommend brands or give suggestions on how to get a good, comfortable
> and safe fit?

I second this request for helmet info!  I would like to use a full face
helmet, but I can't get the helmet over my glasses (those aviator-style
ones that wrap around the ears!). Can anyone recommend a full face helmet
that will work?

			Daniel M. O'Brien (ihnp4!ihlpa!dob)
			AT&T Bell Laboratories
			IH 4A-258, x 4782
			Naperville-Wheaton Road
			Naperville, IL 60566

howard@sfmag.UUCP (H.M.Moskovitz) (10/04/85)

> I second this request for helmet info!  I would like to use a full face
> helmet, but I can't get the helmet over my glasses (those aviator-style
> ones that wrap around the ears!). Can anyone recommend a full face helmet
> that will work?

The only full-face helmet I know of that will go OVER glasses
is the Porche Carrera helmet. This is because the chin bar is integrated
into the windshield. The whole front of the helmet swivels up, and
in fact, the whole front of the helmet can come off, thus converting
the helmet to asn open-faced helmet as well.

The only problems are: a) I don't know if it carries a Snell rating,
b) it's very expensive (>$200) c) Very few places carry it so getting
replacement part may be difficult (& also expensive).

On another note, several eyewear manufacturers make eyeglass frames
that have an extendable earpiece. It is a standard piece which has
a sliding wrap-around that lets you put it on after your helmet and
then get the added security of wrap-around ears.

					Howard Moskovitz
					AT&T Info. Systems
					attunix!howard

jerem@tekgvs.UUCP (Jere Marrs) (10/04/85)

In article <811@ihlpa.UUCP> dob@ihlpa.UUCP (Daniel M. O'Brien) writes:
>> I am in the market for a good motorcycle helmet.  Can any riders
>> recommend brands or give suggestions on how to get a good, comfortable
>> and safe fit?
>
>I second this request for helmet info!  I would like to use a full face
>helmet, but I can't get the helmet over my glasses (those aviator-style
>ones that wrap around the ears!). Can anyone recommend a full face helmet
>that will work?

	The BMW Systems helmet accomplishes this very neatly with an
articluating jaw piece (mandible?). It will fit nicely over the head
wearing glasses and then you snap (clomp?) the mandible in place. It works
quite well, and the helmet performs well in all other areas too. See
your friendly BMW dealer.

				Jere M. Marrs
				Tektronix, Inc.
			tektronix!tekcrl!tekgvs!jerem

faunt@hplabsd.UUCP (Doug Faunt) (10/08/85)

> I second this request for helmet info!  I would like to use a full face
> helmet, but I can't get the helmet over my glasses (those aviator-style
> ones that wrap around the ears!). Can anyone recommend a full face helmet
> that will work?

I have no problem getting a Bell Star II on over my glasses.  I also
wear wire-rims with hooks around the ears.  In fact, I discovered this
when I bought a Bell TourStar in the next size up for someone else,
and discovered that I could actually get it on over my glasses.  I
then ordered a Tourstar (in the proper size) for myself, and received
the Star II.  The company I ordered it from was later discovered to be
a fly-by-night, but told me to keep what I had, when asked.  They said
it wasn't worth the extra to receive the STAR and ship the proper helmet.

jon@msunix.UUCP (Jonathan Hue) (10/08/85)

In article <811@ihlpa.UUCP>, dob@ihlpa.UUCP (Daniel M. O'Brien) writes:
> > I am in the market for a good motorcycle helmet.  Can any riders
> > recommend brands or give suggestions on how to get a good, comfortable
> > and safe fit?
>
> I second this request for helmet info!  I would like to use a full face
> helmet, but I can't get the helmet over my glasses (those aviator-style
> ones that wrap around the ears!). Can anyone recommend a full face helmet
> that will work?

Check the September issue of Motorcyclist for a comparison of 31
full face helmets.  The Snell '85 standard is tougher to pass than
the D.O.T. and is voluntary, the D.O.T. is required by federal law.
It seems that  the manufacturers of expensive, high quality helmets
(AGV, Arai, Bell, Shoei, Simpson) are the only ones who can pass the
Snell '85.  There is a controversy over whether a helmet which can
pass the Snell '85 standard is safer than one which cannot.  I figure
that anything can pass the D.O.T. and I trust Arai to build a good
helmet (Fast Freddie Spencer does).

I currently use an Arai Supervent.  I can't say that the vents are
all that useful, but it remains cool is warm weather.  I have no
problem with my large-framed glasses, as long as I take them off
first and then put them on through the eyeport of the helmet.  I've
no complaints with the Supervent, it's comfortable, its visor works
well, and it's pretty quiet.  Retails for $175, mail order for $120,
and about $150 in the local discount stores.

I am considering purchasing an AGV Vallenza Kenny Roberts Signature
helmet for use as a spare or passenger helmet.  It passes D.O.T.
and Snell '85, and is very light, as light as an Arai Ultralight (49.5 oz)
versus the average of ~56 oz for your standard Arai, Bell, Shoei or
Simpson.  Motorcyclist rated it a B+, due to minor wind whistling.
It is on sale for $109 at the local discount store (Santa Clara
Cycle Salvage).  Yeah, people look silly on the back of my Interceptor
wearing my Bell Moto IV.

If the September issue of Motorcyclist is unavailable at your local
library or newsstand, I am willing to mail summaries to those interested.

				Jonathan Hue
				LMSC-Mechanisms & Servos

				(ucbvax!amd!cae780!leadsv!msunix!jon)
				or something like that

markmo@tekig4.UUCP (Mark Morland) (10/10/85)

--------
In article <111@drutx.UUCP> bjc@drutx.UUCP (CampbellBJ) writes:
>A D.O.T. approved helmet is virtually useless, make sure it is Snell
>approved.  Expect to pay $150+ for a really good helmet...
>
>Becky

I have to disagree with a notion that a Snell rated helmet is mandatory.
Many of the changes between Snell 70, 75, and 80 ratings are for
fire protection, not crash protection.  This is important to racing drivers,
but is not the main concern of a motorcyclist.

A recent article in Motorcyclist magazine was a helmet comparison.  The
consensus was that (permanently) crushable foam is the best liner material
to give our brains a survivable decelleration rate in a sudden stop.  The
Snell impact test rates helmets on surviving two identical impacts.  This
type of test favors helmets with restorable foam.  Here again, the standard
helps protect racing drivers whose head is most likely to contact a
specific point on the roll bar several times, but the standard is not
specifically designed for motorcycle crash protection.

What will I buy next?  A Snell 80 - I can't race sportscars without it!

I'm dissapointed that the highest rating printed for quietness was "better
than average", Motorcyclist never said which one was BEST.

>Expect to pay $150+ for a really good helmet...
True, but ALWAYS wear SOME helmet.

Happy Biking,

Mark Morland   tektronix!tekig4!markmo

ian@cbosgd.UUCP (Neil Kirby) (08/04/86)

	While I don't want to be TOLD by the state to wear a helmet, I
always wear one.  There is this curious little tag in the inside that says
".. not protect you from all foreseeable impacts..".  This tag sits
next to the Snell '75 tag (it's an old helmet) that assure you that
it will protect you from a great number of forseeable impacts.  This helmet
replaces the one that I wore when my bike was swept out from under me by
a cross wind.  That helmet didn't fit anymore, the padding in the back
got alot smaller from where it crushed down.  In other words in this case
the helemt did its job.  It took about five minutes for my vision to uncross
and my doctor said that the helmet most likely saved me a fractured skull.
	There are many other types of accidents where a helmet can save
you some hurt.  There are a few where it can get you killed (the two nasty
one that I know of are if you land in water or if any projection on the
helmet digs in and provides torque).
	So that question you gotta ask yourself is, do you feel lucky today?
Is the accident that you might have one of the few where not having a helmet
will help?
	Ah but you say that they restrict vision and hearing.  On my bikes,
having a helmet on imporves my ability to hear over not.  Restricted vision?
Ha! I wear glasses (and have good vision with them) and so I turn my head
to see sideways, and so my full face helmet restricts my vision not a bit.
	I hope some of you out there who don't wear helmets will, and those
who won't will not use my insurance company.

		Neil Kirby
		...cbosgd!ian