[net.cycle] Running w/o Oil

car377@drutx.UUCP (RogersCA) (09/23/86)

For those of you involved/interested in the recent net discussion
concerning running bikes without oil (how long and how much damage)
there is an article of interest in the October '86 "Motor Cyclist"
magazine, page 31. The article, "Help For High-Performance
Roller-Bearing Crankshafts" is by Joe Minton, and in it he discusses
the physical mechanics of cranks and bearings at length, as well
as the requirements placed on oil systems by these components.  His
assertion that most factory cranks are not straight (or even close
in many cases) came as a surprise to me.  If your bike's engine
vibrates excessively at high RPM (and others of the same type don't)
crank problems may be a contributing factor.

Chuck Rogers @ ATT-ISL, Denver

mo@well.UUCP (Maurice Weitman) (09/24/86)

In article <1379@drutx.UUCP> car377@drutx.UUCP (RogersCA) writes:
[]
>[magazine says] most factory cranks are not straight (or even close
>in many cases) came as a surprise to me.  [etc.]
>
>Chuck Rogers @ ATT-ISL, Denver

Hey Chuck, if crankshafts were straight, they wouldn't crank.  %-)

Sorry... couldn't resist.
--

Quote:  "The police aren't here to create disorder, they're here
          to preserve disorder." Mayor Richard J. Daly, Chicago, 1968

Disclaimer:  Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Maurice Weitman     9600   ..!{dual,hplabs,lll-crg,ptsfa,glacier}!well!mo
       |           57600   (415)549-0280 voice   (415)549-0388 modem-2400
   this^is not       300   mcimail mweitman
     a pipe          110   P. O. Box 10019       Berkeley, CA  94709