[net.cycle] another starter problem; a started problem.

hood@lando.dec.com (slink) (09/12/86)

I've also got a starter problem.  (And a flame!)

On my '84 Nighthawk 700, when I press the starter button, the engine *almost*
turns-over, then stops.  It's exactly like just tapping the button, instead
of keeping it depressed.  This happened occasionally at the beginning of the
season, but now happens almost every time I start the bike.  It'll usually do
this two or three times, then work ok to start the bike.

Between this and a Mass State cop who brought new meaning to the word "pig",
I've not been riding the bike too much over the past month or two.  Police
paranoia is finally fading away, and I wanna ride again.

---------------------------------

BTW, what are people's experience with dealing with police while driving
motorcycles vs dealing with them when driving cars?  I was stopped for
speeding on I-495 in Massachusetts at about 10:30 at night by a state cop who
spent ten minutes yelling at me, calling me a moron, and threatening me with
arrest. [I was doing about 68mph in a 55 zone.  There was light traffic, only
one other car on the stretch of road. I wasn't rude or anything -- (people
with guns, sticks, and the ability to throw me in jail intimidate me.)  I
finally got him to go away by giving him my license, registration, and
inspection sticker (he never asked for them).  In short, the guy acted like
Charles Bronson having a temper tantrum.]  He added all sorts of bogus
charges to the ticket, in addition to claiming 80mph, which I later appealed
and got removed.

I've had other not quite so unpleasant experiences with police while
motorcycling, typically things like being closely followed thru small towns.
I drive a Nighthawk, wear a Bell helmet, and am usually dressed in corduroys,
sneakers, and a leather or denim jacket.  I don't have any tattoes or
swastikers, my muffler works, and do *not* give police the finger. I don't
speed (ever) in cities and towns, and I always drive cautiously around
traffic.  I don't look like I'm gonna rape someone's grandma, rob a bank, or
even litter!.

I've been stopped in a car a few times, and the cop always, very politely,
tells why I'm being stopped and asks for license and registration and walks
away.  He later comes back, gives the ticket and an optional quick lecture,
then leaves.

Is my bike experience typical?

Tom Hood
DEC, Littleton MA

			DISCLAIMER: My company has never been arrested by
				the Mass State Police (only the FBI, and
				they were very polite).

turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) (09/17/86)

> I've also got a starter problem.  (And a flame!)
>
> On my '84 Nighthawk 700, when I press the starter button, the engine *almost*
> turns-over, then stops.  It's exactly like just tapping the button, instead
> of keeping it depressed.  This happened occasionally at the beginning of the
> season, but now happens almost every time I start the bike.  It'll usually do
> this two or three times, then work ok to start the bike.
> ---------------------------------

i've had simular problems (and oh so many more) with my guzzi, check
the 12V wires going to the starter if they are frayed or loose you
may not be getting enough current to the solinoid. check relays (if
you got em) for the usual crap, when all else fails buy an europian
bike (:+)

> BTW, what are people's experience with dealing with police while driving
> motorcycles vs dealing with them when driving cars?  I was stopped for
> speeding on I-495 in Massachusetts at about 10:30 at night by a state cop who
> spent ten minutes yelling at me, calling me a moron, and threatening me with
> arrest. [I was doing about 68mph in a 55 zone.  There was light traffic, only

you never know the cop may have been an asshole or he may have just
picked up the pieces of another biker who didn't have your luck
and/or skill, the only time i've gotten pulled over (for VERY
expired registration) the cop was concerned that i might dump the bike
(like you im intimidated by ...) and was extremely polite. ive found
bike or car doesnt matter, some people take jobs because they care and
want to do a good job and others becuase they like the power or
because they cant do anything else
--
----
		It aint life that gets me down, it's gravity

Name:	James M. Turner
Mail:	Imagen Corp. 2650 San Tomas Expressway, P.O. Box 58101
        Santa Clara, CA 95052-8101
AT&T:	(408) 986-9400
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!imagen!turner
CompuServe: 76327,1575
GEnie     : D-ARCANGEL

donch@tekirl.UUCP (Don Chitwood) (09/19/86)

My Guzzi periodically has a similar set of symptoms.  I discovered the
cause and it's fairly easy to fix.
The Guzzi's starter is a spittin' image of a standard car starter, except
that it's about 1/2 the size.  As such, it uses a standard type solenoid
that functions both to engage the starter gear with the flywheel and to
make connection with the battery directly to the starter motor.  The
contacts inside the solenoid were at fault.  By taking out two screws
that hold the end-cap onto the solenoid, then unsoldering the two wires
that are fastened to the spade-lugs on the end-cap, the contacts inside
the solenoid are revealed in all their ugliness.  When the described
problem arises, these contacts are invariably much blackened and making
dubious contact.  I take some sandpaper and clean them up real good,
reassemble it, and have no more problems for another 20,000 miles or so.

Sometimes, when my battery is low for various reasons, the solenoid will
clatter--oscillate like a vibrator--because of too little juice.  The only
cure then is to trickle-charge the battery, get a jump-start from a car,
or bump-start the bike.  I've done all three, each at least once under
adverse conditions (try bump-starting a 525-lb bike in a level parking lot
in 95 degree heat!)

Regarding treatment of me on my bike by cops, I've only had one really
bad experience and it was not abusive but rather legalistically rigorous.
Another cop stopped me for speeding once and spent a good 20 minutes talking
computers and hi-tech stuff.  He was very interesting, but I think he was
also trying to slow me down by taking time to be casual.  He also gave me
a ticket!  Several cops
have stopped me to warn me against speeding even tho they admitted they
hadn't gotten a reading on me (they were right; my most comfortable speed
owing to a vibration minimum is 65-70 mph.)

lee@wang.UUCP (Lee Story x77155 ms 1989) (09/25/86)

> BTW, what are people's experience with dealing with police while driving
> motorcycles vs dealing with them when driving cars?  I was stopped for
> speeding on I-495 in Massachusetts at about 10:30 at night by a state cop who
> spent ten minutes yelling at me, calling me a moron, ...

Amazingly, perhaps, my experience on I495 (round about the [in]famous
Tewksbury speed trap) have been quite the opposite.  I commute about 70%
by Honda VT500, 30% by Toyota, and a year or two ago was stopped three days
in a row for absent-mindedly letting the Camry glide down the long,
gradual hill at 65 to 70 (probably 0.1 MPH faster than the average
traffic?).  I've NEVER been stopped while on a motorcycle in about 14000
miles of riding, and have often wondered why.  Do the State Police want to
avoid possible high-speed chases?  Do bikes fail to show up clearly on
their radar?  Are there other less obscure reasons?

Many policemen are riders, and all are trained to deal politely and
professionally with us errant citizens; I'd bet that the one referred to
in the posting was an extraordinary exception, at least in this state.

                                     Lee Story @ Wang Labs

pag00@amdahl.UUCP (Pria Graves) (09/29/86)

In article <865@wang.UUCP> lee@wang.UUCP (Lee Story x77155 ms 1989) writes:

> Many policemen are riders, and all are trained to deal politely and
> professionally with us errant citizens; I'd bet that the one referred to
> in the posting was an extraordinary exception, at least in this state.
>
>                                      Lee Story @ Wang Labs

Three years ago on Superbowl Sunday my husband and I went out riding to
take advantage of the light traffic.  We were being inattentive and got
pulled over.  The patrol man (CHP) was a motorcyclist and I am quite sure
he would have let us off EXCEPT that a local sheriff pulled in behind
him... Of course they cannot let you go once another officer of the law is
present....

I have been stopped much more often when on a bike - my car is a 61 volks
that has a hard time speeding without a tailwind - but I usually get out
of it.  The only other time I didn't was on I5 north of Seattle.  The
trooper zoomed by, swung to the shoulder and then pulled out blocking
both lanes.  He then proceeded to flag over a semi from Kansas, a local
car and little old me on the 550 honda I had then. Talk about an absolute
absence of any favoritism!  It was worth the $30 for admission.  He was
professional enough (no yelling) but utterly unsympathetic about the fact
that I had to unpack my bike to get to my registration under the seat.
--
Pria            ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,amd,nsc}!amdahl!pag00
                (408) 746 7539

(Disclaimer:  even I don't necessarily agree!)