[net.cycle] Splotchy aluminum parts!

car377@drutx.UUCP (RogersCA) (09/03/86)

Does anyone out there have a good method or
product for cleaning side covers and those
engine parts which are brushed or anodized
aluminum?  After some weathering, they seem
to get splotchy looking, (like a peeling sun
tan), and I'm afraid to use an abrasive for
fear of ruining the finish.

Chuck Rogers @ ATT-ISL, Denver
drutx!car377
11900 N. Pecos St. Rm 30J19
Denver, Colorado 80234

fbr@utastro.UUCP (F. B. RAY) (09/05/86)

In article <1170@drutx.UUCP>, car377@drutx.UUCP (RogersCA) writes:
> Does anyone out there have a good method or
> product for cleaning side covers and those
> engine parts which are brushed or anodized
> aluminum?  After some weathering, they seem
> to get splotchy looking, (like a peeling sun
> tan), and I'm afraid to use an abrasive for
> fear of ruining the finish.
Simichrome polish does a good job on aluminum.  Also, there's a new
German detergent out, handled by BMW dealers among others.  Also advertised
in the cycle mags.  It makes aluminum really shine.  Apologies for not having
the name on the tip of my tongue, but ask around.  Comes in a red box.
About $10 a throw, but you can clean everything with it.  You're right not
to use too coarse an abrasive, but the abrasives in Simichrome are very fine.

--

SNAILmail:         Frank B. Ray, McDonald Observatory
                   University of Texas at Austin, 78712

alanj@orca.UUCP (Alan Jeddeloh) (09/05/86)

In article <1226@utastro.UUCP> fbr@utastro.UUCP (F. B. RAY) writes:
>German detergent out, handled by BMW dealers among others.  Also advertised
>in the cycle mags.  It makes aluminum really shine.  Apologies for not having
>the name on the tip of my tongue, but ask around.  Comes in a red box.
>About $10 a throw, but you can clean everything with it.  You're right not
>to use too coarse an abrasive, but the abrasives in Simichrome are very fine.

Are you by any chance thinking of "S-100"?  I bought some (about $15 around
here).  Works fine, does a great job on baked on stuff.  Don't believe the
"just spray it on a hose it off" claim, though.  You still have to wipe and
scrub a little.  The manufacturer directs you to spray it on, wait, then
hose it off with a high-pressure water jet.  My Nighthawk owner's manual
is full of warnings of where not to spray with high-pressure water jets.
So much for the S-100 manufacturer's instructions :-).

The local fuller brush lady sold me a handy item.  It's supposed to be a
"shower door track brush".   The bristles are about 1 1/2 inch long, with
the whole brush only about 3/8 inch wide.  The bar holding the bristles
is bent 90 degrees at the end of the brush, with the bristles trimmed at
a 90 degree angle as well, so it will reach into a tight corner.

                TOP VIEW
                                 ooooooooooooooo
        ----********************ooooooooooooooooo
        ----********************ooooooooooooooooo
                                 ooooooooooooooo

BRISTLE                                                  HANDLE
 END                                                      END
  ..    ----*                 SIDE VIEW                    **
  ..    ----*                                              **
 o..o   ----**                   ooooooooooooooo          oooo
 o..o   ----/*******************oooo(handle)ooooo         oooo
 o..o   --///||||||||||||||||    ooooooooooooooo          oooo
  ..    /////|||(bristles)|||                              ||
  ..    ////|||||||||||||||||                              ||

                BOTTOM VIEW
                                 ooooooooooooooo
        .....................***ooooooooooooooooo
        .....................***ooooooooooooooooo
                                 ooooooooooooooo

(I can't do justice with character graphics.  The handle is out of proportion,
among other problems.  The bristles change direction smoothly, not in steps.)

Anyway, (after spending $? of Tek's money making this picture), what it's
good for is brushing the engine behind the exhaust pipes.  It's narrow enough
to fit between the pipes.

	-Alan Jeddeloh
	Tektronix GWD

mojo@mp-mojo.UUCP (Mojo Jones) (09/06/86)

> From: fbr@utastro.UUCP (F. B. RAY)
>                                                 Also, there's a new
> German detergent out, handled by BMW dealers among others.  Also advertised
> in the cycle mags.  It makes aluminum really shine.  Apologies for not having
> the name on the tip of my tongue, but ask around.  Comes in a red box.
> About $10 a throw, but you can clean everything with it.

It's S-100, and it's pretty impressive stuff.  I usually use it for hard-
to-reach places, since it's a little pricey.

Not to be confused with once-popular computer buses.

Mojo
... Morris Jones, MicroPro Int'l Corp., Product Development
Northern Calif. Motorcycle Safety Council, MSF Instructor
{lll-crg,ptsfa,dual,well,pyramid}!micropro!mp-mojo!mojo
Not the opinion of MicroPro!

In article <1226@utastro.UUCP>, fbr@utastro.UUCP (F. B. RAY) writes:
>In article <1170@drutx.UUCP>, car377@drutx.UUCP (RogersCA) writes:
>> Does anyone out there have a good method or
>> product for cleaning side covers and those
>> engine parts which are brushed or anodized
>> aluminum?  After some weathering, they seem
>> to get splotchy looking, (like a peeling sun
>> tan), and I'm afraid to use an abrasive for
>> fear of ruining the finish.
>Simichrome polish does a good job on aluminum.  Also, there's a new
>German detergent out, handled by BMW dealers among others.

You might also try MET-ALL polish.  It puts a bright shine on aluminum,
even weathered, clouded aluminum (I tried some of it on a storm door,
though that wasn't what I got it for--the result was almost mirrorlike).
I applied it with a rag.
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!{akgua,homxb,ihnp4,ltuxa,mvuxa,
	   go for it!  			allegra,ulysses,vax135}!ttrdc!levy

donch@tekirl.UUCP (Don Chitwood) (09/09/86)

A word of warning here from sad experience.  Splotchy aluminum parts can
be the RESULT of using some cleaners, namely the popular 409 household
cleaner.  Be aware that most household cleaners are alkaline.  Alkaline
solutions will etch aluminum,  and can leave a residual pattern that you
can only remove by some abrasive technique.  I found 409 to be great for
taking off disc brake pad dust on my forks and rims.  Unfortunately, my
rims are Borrani aluminum alloy rims and they will forever show the
splotches where I first sprayed the 409 and took ten seconds to get a
sponge before spreading it around; the etching occurred very rapidly.

As a result, I don't use it anywhere on the bike.

Don Chitwood
Tektronix, Inc

cbz@mhuxl.UUCP (Craig B. Ziemer) (09/10/86)

C.Rogers writes:

> Does anyone out there have a good method or
> product for cleaning side covers and those
> engine parts which are brushed or anodized
> aluminum ........

I have tried two different products to polish aluminum.  They are "Mother's
Mags and Aluminum Polish" (something like that) and "Simichrome".  Both
worked beautifully.

                                                  Craig B. Ziemer
                                                   mhuxl!cbz

darryl@ism780c.UUCP (Darryl Richman) (09/11/86)

In article <176@tekirl.UUCP> donch@tekirl.UUCP (Don Chitwood) writes:

>A word of warning here from sad experience.  Splotchy aluminum parts can
>be the RESULT of using some cleaners, namely the popular 409 household
>cleaner.  Be aware that most household cleaners are alkaline.  Alkaline
>solutions will etch aluminum,  and can leave a residual pattern that you
>can only remove by some abrasive technique.
>Don Chitwood

Thanks for the warning.  I have never noticed this on my bikes.  Perhaps
this is because (I believe) BMW puts a clear plastic (?) coating over their
cast rims.  I will certainly avoid using it on the engine parts, however.

	    --Darryl Richman, INTERACTIVE Systems Corp.
	    ...!cca!ima!ism780!darryl
	    The views expressed above are my opinions only.

bobc@hplsla.UUCP (bobc) (09/11/86)

I've found that most of the aluminum parts have some form of clear laquer
over them.  Small holes in the finish allow corrosion to occur underneath
the coating.  My soloution, after trying several cleaners and polishes was
to remove the laquer, polish the metal, and then apply wax.

						Bob Cutler
						Hewlett Packard
						Lake Stevens, WA

davet@vaxwaller.UUCP (Dave Triplett) (09/12/86)

> C.Rogers writes:
>
> > Does anyone out there have a good method or
> > product for cleaning side covers and those
> > engine parts which are brushed or anodized
> > aluminum ........

I have been following this discussion for a while
and have seen only one response which indicated
that polishing side covers might not be a good
idea.  On many bikes, the aluminum is covered
by a clear overcoat.  Polishing of this coat
will only remove it, producing "splotchy alumninum
parts"!  Once splotchiness develops, if the
bike does indeed use a clear overcoat, the only
cure is to use a solvent to remove the coat and
then repaint with another clear coat.  I have
read of how to do this but have not done it
myself.

--
	Dave Triplett	 (415) 939-2400 x2087
	Varian Instruments 2700 Mitchell Dr.  Walnut Creek, Ca. 94598

car377@drutx.UUCP (RogersCA) (09/18/86)

In hplsla.19500001, Bob Cutler writes:

> My solution, after trying several cleaners and polishes was
> to remove the lacquer, polish the metal, and then apply wax.

What did you use to remove the lacquer?

I tried a small experiment with some paint stripper ("Strip-X")
which I obtained at my local hardware store.  I put a drop of
the stripper on the lower outside surface of my timing cover
in a spot where any subsequent damage would not be obvious.
I removed the stripper after 10 minutes, and the clear coat
had been removed.  There was no discoloration of
the underlying metal, but I did observe fine scratches in the
surface.  I'm not sure whether these scratches were the result
of factory finishing work, or damage caused by etching of the
surface by the stripper.  I called a corrosion expert at
Bell Labs in New Jersey and asked him whether the active ingredients
of the stripper (methylene chloride and xylene) would attack
the aluminum or chrome alloy.  He said there was a small
chance that damage would occur if any free chlorine ions in the
stripper encountered aluminum unprotected by aluminum oxide.
He also said that I could avoid such damage by exercising care
during the procedure, and by leaving the stripper on only long
enough to loosen the paint.

Chuck Rogers @ ATT-ISL, Denver

bobc@hplsla.UUCP (bobc) (09/30/86)

>the underlying metal, but I did observe fine scratches in the
>surface.  I'm not sure whether these scratches were the result
>of factory finishing work, or damage caused by etching of the
>surface by the stripper.  I called a corrosion expert at

If your worried about about a little etching, then you probably
don't need to remove the clear finish in the first place. I removed
the coating so that I could get at the corrosion underneath. It
was pretty bad in places.  I wasn't worried about about harming
the original finish because  I knew I had a lot of polishing ahead
of me anyway.

Once I removed the clear coat, I used 600 wet/dry sandpaper to polish
out the corrosion and get the entire surface to a uniform finish. Then,
using emory cloth, followed by automotive and aluminum polish,  I was
able to create a mirror finish.  It was a lot of work, but the results
are impressive.

Obviously, the amount of polishing you have to do depends on how deep
the corrosion is.  Also, I wouln't remove the coating to do spot fixes.
It could be difficult to match finishes.

Bob Cutler  hplsla!bobc
Hewlett-Packard
Lake Stevens, WA