[net.cycle] msf phone number

mojo@kepler.UUCP (Morris Jones) (04/05/86)

Whenever I post an article about my participation in a
Motorcycle Safety Foundation rider course, I get a number of
requests for information about the course.  So herewith is
the number to call to find the course nearest you:

	800-952-5672

The courses are given by various groups at widely varying
prices.  But the instructors are certified by the MSF and all
follow the same basic course guidelines and materials.  The
"Motorcycle Rider Course" is designed for individuals with
little or no riding experience, though anyone can benefit.
No license is required, and safety equipment can be provided
by the course.

The Motorcycle Safety Foundation is sponsored by the manufacturers.
They fund the administration and provide training bikes.  Sponsors
are (I believe): Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, and BMW.

--
Mojo
... Morris Jones, MicroPro Product Development

mojo@kepler.UUCP (Morris Jones) (04/09/86)

I must have gotten that number from an out of date flier.  The
correct number for information on the Motorcycle Safety Foundation
course nearest you is:

	800-447-4700

That number worked at least for me from the 415 area code.  If it
doesn't work for you, dial 800-555-1212 and ask for the Motorcycle
Safety Foundation.

--

chan@hpfcmt (04/09/86)

> They fund the administration and provide training bikes.  Sponsors
> are (I believe): Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, and BMW.

I could be wrong, but when I took the MSF class last year, I believe
the instructor said that several of the manufacturers listed
above had stopped supporting the MSF. I think that's why the course
materials have not been updated for a few years. The bikes we used
were provided by local dealers (love those CB125's).

It's still a very valuable course, and advisable for all novices.

			-- Chan
			{ihnp4 | hplabs}!hpfcla!chan
			Hewlett-Packard Company
			Fort Collins, CO

As usual, HP has nothing to do with what I say here.

mojo@kepler.UUCP (Morris Jones) (04/16/86)

In article <7800009@hpfcmt> chan@hpfcmt writes:
>I could be wrong, but when I took the MSF class last year, I believe
>the instructor said that several of the manufacturers listed
>above had stopped supporting the MSF. I think that's why the course
>materials have not been updated for a few years. The bikes we used
>were provided by local dealers (love those CB125's).

You may be right ... I'm not sure about the list.

The bikes are provided by the manufacturers through the local
dealers.  I'm not sure of the exact arrangments, but each dealer
can order a certain number of bikes for MSF training from his
manufacturer.  The new bikes are used in the course for a year,
and at the end of the year, the dealer sells the bikes and (I
assume) is invoiced for them at a reduced rate.  We have some
Yamahas, some Hondas, and some Suzukis.

MSF has developed a shortened course that they're installing
this year (we're doing an instructor update this summer).  The
entire course can be done in a single weekend, classroom and
range time.  I'm told that the course effectiveness is the
same, maybe even better.  Anyone seen or taken the new course
in development?

After seeing a few classes through now, it's easy to see that
the manufacturers know what they're doing with the MSF!  Our
students are rushing out and buying bikes after our class.

Yep!  Those CB125's are great teaching bikes.  We're expecting
several of the new Honda Reflex combination bikes for our
next class.  Should beat trying to teach a new rider on a
Rebel!  :-)  (Maybe we should try some Ninja 250s?  :-)

This time with full orchestration and five part harmony --->  800-447-4700

(excuse the ramble ... love my new '85 Maxim 700X)

--

mojo@mp-mojo.UUCP (Mojo Jones) (10/07/86)

> A neighbor is thinking of taking up motorcycling and asked me for advice
> on where to start.  I recommended she start with a Motorcycle Safty
> Foundation class as a way to find out if she's really interested and
> to get a good start.  Unfortunately I don't have their phone number.
> We're in Palo Alto in case there is a local number.
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Pria            ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,amd,nsc}!amdahl!pag00
>                 (408) 746 7539

Hi ... to find classes near you, call (800) 447-4700.  They search
by zip code.  I teach in Marin County, whose information number is
(707) 762-7551.  Sorry I don't have a number for a class in the
south bay.

Mojo
... Morris Jones, MicroPro Int'l Corp., Product Development
Northern Calif. Motorcycle Safety Council, MSF Instructor
{lll-crg,ptsfa,dual,well,pyramid}!micropro!mp-mojo!mojo
Not the opinion of MicroPro!

Democracy: The bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people.
					-- John Galt

struve@calma.UUCP (10/07/86)

For information on Motorcycle Safety Foundation classes in the South Bay
and peninsula, call the Mountain View/Los Altos Adult Education Dept.
at (415) 967-7986 . Classes are held at Mountain View High School.
We teach both the beginning (MRC/RSS) and experienced rider courses.