[net.cycle] Speeders avoid Ohio

ian@cbosgd.ATT.COM (Neil Kirby) (10/03/86)

	Just a freindly warning; The State Patrol in Ohio really belives in 55.
To speed you need a radar detector, possibly a CB, and some spare cash.  Luck
would be helpful too.  If you are lucky, they will ticket you for 74 in a 55.
This is a 2 point ticket, $58, no court appaerance, pay the police when you get
the ticket.  (This I know from experience).  If you are unlucky, they will
ticket you for whatever speed you were going and speeds above 75 require a
MANDATORY COURT APPEARANCE (says so on the ticket, I read mine closely).  If a
local pulls you over at elevated speeds, you might wind up in jail.
	It's not unreasonable to do 65 the length of the state, but 75 is
likely to get noticed.  They are actually quite friendly, if you are polite.
If you are rude or worse, you'll likely have a Steven King story experience.
	They also ticket out-of-state more often than natives.

		Enjoy, but beware.
		Neil Kirby
		...cbosgd!ian

"Well, as far as we can tell, no state has the death penalty for speeding,
but we aren't sure about Ohio" -starting instructions given to racers in
the movie _The_Cannonball_Run_

draper@tallis.dec.com (it's only pro/venix, but i *like* it, *like* it, yes i do) (10/06/86)

---------------------Reply to mail dated 4-OCT-1986 20:33---------------------

>	Just a freindly warning; The State Patrol in Ohio really belives in 55.
>To speed you need a radar detector, possibly a CB, and some spare cash.  Luck
  i got a ticket there last year -- 67 in a 55 zone.  i was on rt 23 heading
  east from columbus about midnite of the friday nite of memorial day weekend.
  granted, it's not an interstate, but that part was 2 lanes in each direction,
  divided, and limited access.  i wasn't the fastest car on the road either ...
> ... pay the police when you get
>the ticket.  (This I know from experience).  ...
  yes, i was very surprised when the cop (state) asked for a credit card. (i
  still have the charge slip from lancaster county court.)  i asked what would
  happen if i didn't have a credit card and he told me the barracks would
  take cash (if i had it), or they'd take my driver's license and i'd have
  24 hours to ransom it.  didn't say if i'd get immunity for driving w/o a
  license . . ..
> ...  They are actually quite friendly, if you are polite.
>If you are rude or worse, you'll likely have a Steven King story experience.
  yes, he was very polite and friendly, but he still gave me a ticket and
  a $50 dollar souvenir.
>	They also ticket out-of-state more often than natives.
  yes, and he was *very* interested in what i was doing with a mass drivers'
  license driving a car registered in ny to someone else.  hard to say what
  would have happened if the someone else hadn't happened to be my girlfriend
  who was sitting in the passenger seat. . .

bruce

ps.  this guy won the "friendly" award.  i haven't found a mass cop
who'd even be in the contest, let alone in the running.

pag00@amdahl.UUCP (10/07/86)

In article <5789@decwrl.DEC.COM> draper@tallis.dec.com (it's only pro/venix, but i *like* it, *like* it, yes i do) writes:

> ---------------------Reply to mail dated 4-OCT-1986 20:33---------------------
> >
> >	Just a freindly warning; The State Patrol in Ohio really belives in 55.
> >	They also ticket out-of-state more often than natives.
>   yes, and he was *very* interested in what i was doing with a mass drivers'
>   license driving a car registered in ny to someone else.  hard to say what
>   would have happened if the someone else hadn't happened to be my girlfriend
>   who was sitting in the passenger seat. . .

Fortunately I was lucky and heard about Ohio before I got there......
I remember the occupants of a convertible waving to my traveling companion
and I as they passed while we were poking along at 57 - 60 on our
motorcycles.  We figured they were glad to see fellow Californians so
far from home.  About two miles further we passed them and the trooper
who had stopped them..... and they couldn't have been doing more than
65.

--
Pria            ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,amd,nsc}!amdahl!pag00
                (408) 746 7539

(Disclaimer:  even I don't necessarily agree!)