[net.cycle] riding position

donch@tekirl.UUCP (Don Chitwood) (10/16/86)

When following other motorcyclists, have you ever noticed how they sit
on the bike?  Are they absolutely centered, with their spine tracing the
vertical axis of the machine?  Or, do you see a sideways curve or offset
or slouch?

I was following a person to work this morning and noted his distinct
left-weighted position.  I'd say his spine, at mid-back, was two-three
inches off axis with the machine.  Not only that, but his butt was sitting
slightly to the left of center.

This brought to mind the same observation of several other riders I've
spent many miles with in the past.  They ALL have a left-oriented
non-symmetry to their riding position as viewed from the back.  My sample
base covers all different brands and configurations, too: single cylinder;
twin cyl.; vertical twin; flat opposed twin; v-twin, transverse and in-line.

Anyone make similar observations?  I have one motorcycle with a left-hand
throttle and a right-hand clutch; I wonder if I have a right-handed slouch
to my position?

Any comments?

--Amazing what the mind comes up with going down that long road with the
with in your face.

Don Chitwood
Tektronix, Inc.

ronc@fai.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) (10/17/86)

In article <239@tekirl.UUCP> donch@tekirl.UUCP (Don Chitwood) writes:

>I was following a person to work this morning and noted his distinct
>left-weighted position. [...]
>Not only that, but his butt was sitting
>slightly to the left of center.
>
>This brought to mind the same observation of several other riders I've
>spent many miles with in the past.  They ALL have a left-oriented
>non-symmetry to their riding position as viewed from the back. [...]
>
>Anyone make similar observations?
>
>Don Chitwood

I almost hate to say this, but the left bias you see is due to
the fact that most people put their wallets in their right back
pocket.  After long rides, I found that my back around my right
kidney would hurt and one leg would twitch.  I started putting
my wallet in my jacket breast pocket, and the symptoms went away.

I think you'll find that most men are biased toward the left in
a seated position.  It's just more noticeable on a bike.  Women,
of course, don't have this problem.  :-)

Good piece of observation, though.

				Ron
		Ronald O. Christian (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)
		seismo!amdahl!fai!ronc  -or-   ihnp4!pesnta!fai!ronc

Oliver's law of assumed responsibility:
	"If you are seen fixing it, you will be blamed for breaking it."

mo@well.UUCP (Maurice Weitman) (10/18/86)

In article <438@fai.UUCP> ronc@fai.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) writes:
>In article <239@tekirl.UUCP> donch@tekirl.UUCP (Don Chitwood) writes:
>>
>>I was following a person to work this morning and noted his distinct
>>left-weighted position. [...] Not only that, but his butt was sitting
>>slightly to the left of center.  [...]They ALL have a left-oriented
>>non-symmetry to their riding position as viewed from the back. [...]
>>
>I almost hate to say this, but the left bias you see is due to
>the fact that most people put their wallets in their right back
>pocket.  After long rides, I found that my back around my right
>kidney would hurt and one leg would twitch.  I started putting
>my wallet in my jacket breast pocket, and the symptoms went away.

I am revolted by your conclusion, Ron.... yet another instance of male
projection of their wallet habits on the rest of the world.  The *REAL*
explanation is more subtle and has more far-reaching implications.  I
began noticing the appearance of three to four times as many tushy zits
on my right cheek as on my left.  ( And stuff your wallet theory; I don't
even _HAVE_ a wallet. )  This led to an exhaustive study of my eating and
sitting habits, the details of which I won't bore you with.  Suffice it
to say the root cause of said zittoids was my tendency to sit askew on
my Beemer.  My first theory of the cause of that was the torque reaction
to driving an opposed-twin-engined bike.  This was disproven when I
reversed the rotation of the engine.  Which led to another quest for the
Truth, which is:  The reason why 74% (N.I.M.H. paper 1985) to 81% (People
magazine V.4 No.6) of m-cycle riders favor the left side of their saddles
is to offset the shift to right-wing thinking.  A natural balance must be
acheived.  Let's hope the pendulum swings back soon before we all have to
drive our bikes from a side-car.

--

Quote:  "The police aren't here to create disorder, they're here
          to preserve disorder." Mayor Richard J. Daly, Chicago, 1968

Disclaimer:  Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Maurice Weitman     9600   ..!{dual,hplabs,lll-crg,ptsfa,glacier}!well!mo
       |           57600   (415)549-0280 voice   (415)549-0388 modem-2400
   this^is not       300   mcimail mweitman
     a pipe          110   P. O. Box 10019       Berkeley, CA  94709

jerem@tekgvs.UUCP (10/20/86)

In article <1950@well.UUCP> mo@well.UUCP (Maurice Weitman) writes:
>In article <438@fai.UUCP> ronc@fai.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) writes:
>>In article <239@tekirl.UUCP> donch@tekirl.UUCP (Don Chitwood) writes:
>>>
>>>       [stuff about sideways butts while riding]

	This thread has certainly become colorful. See what you started, Don?

	I just wnet out in the garage and checked: The offset cylinder heads
on the beemer cause the foot pegs to be offset. Hence the sideways butt, the
assymmetric zittoids, and the right-wing politics.

	I always wondered about those things!

				Assymmetric and knows why,

					Jere M. Marrs

marauder@fluke.UUCP (10/20/86)

In article <239@tekirl.UUCP> donch@tekirl.UUCP (Don Chitwood) writes:

>When following other motorcyclists, have you ever noticed how they sit
>on the bike?
>Don Chitwood

My wife when following me in a car tells me that I also do not sit
symetrically straight on the motorcycle when I ride.  I have
attributed it to my feet and their position.  I ride with my right
foot poised above and touching the brake pedal which is very low so
that this position is comfortable.  But my left foot is not so
important to be in a poised position so I let it hang toe down under
the shift lever.  That tends to move me to the left to find a more
comfortable sitting position with my feet where I want them.

				Bill Landsborough

ps.  Au, I am trying to respond to your letter.  *&($#@  mailer...

berger@clio.Uiuc.ARPA (10/21/86)

Next time you're at the local hospital, see if they'll show you
some spinal x-rays.  Everybody has some spine curviture - it's
natural - and is probably the cause of people sitting crooked
(I suppose it could be the result of it too!).

pag00@amdahl.UUCP (Pria Graves) (10/21/86)

In article <1839@tekgvs.UUCP> jerem@tekgvs.UUCP (Jere Marrs) writes:

> In article <1950@well.UUCP> mo@well.UUCP (Maurice Weitman) writes:

> 	This thread has certainly become colorful. See what you started, Don?
>
> 	I just wnet out in the garage and checked: The offset cylinder heads
> on the beemer cause the foot pegs to be offset. Hence the sideways butt, the
> assymmetric zittoids, and the right-wing politics.
>
> 	I always wondered about those things!
>
> 				Assymmetric and knows why,
>
> 					Jere M. Marrs

Fine except that those of us with rear sets (or set backs) have
foot pegs which are not offset and still tend to sit to the left!
(I am also not male and do not carry my wallet in my right pocket
on long trips).  So we are now back to the politics......
--
Pria            ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,amd,nsc}!amdahl!pag00
                (408) 746 7539

(Disclaimer:  even I don't necessarily agree!)

ahn@houem.UUCP (Au H. Nguyen) (10/21/86)

-
Maybe the guy just likes to think he's Randy "Both Cheeks Off The Seat" Mamola,
coming into the La Source hairpin at Assen,  ready to hang off!	   |-}

	Au	ihnp4!houem!ahn

hsc@mtuxo.UUCP (Harvey S. Cohen) (10/22/86)

You *don't* lean to the left!  The road leans to the *right*
and you sit straight!  All readers of net.cycle are hereby deputized
to check this theory on their next trip to UK or other drive-on-the-left
places, where they should lean the other way, and report back to the net.
Harvey S. Cohen, mtuxo!hsc
Remember!  Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!

ronc@fai.UUCP (10/27/86)

In article <1950@well.UUCP> mo@well.UUCP (Maurice Weitman) writes:
>In article <438@fai.UUCP> ronc@fai.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) writes:
>>[...] left bias due to
>>most people put their wallets in their right back
>>pocket [...]

>I am revolted by your conclusion, Ron.... yet another instance of male
>projection of their wallet habits on the rest of the world.  The *REAL*
>explanation is [tusyh zits... zittoids... right cheek...]

YOU'RE revolted???

				Ron
		Ronald O. Christian (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)
		seismo!amdahl!fai!ronc  -or-   ihnp4!pesnta!fai!ronc

Oliver's law of assumed responsibility:
	"If you are seen fixing it, you will be blamed for breaking it."

rh@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Randy Haskins) (10/30/86)

Then there's always this reason.  Due to a 4-wheeler pulling out in
front of me and making me hit it, my bike skidded on its right side for
about 30 feet or so.  This apparently misaligned the forks a little.
It doesn't affect handling, but it does make the handle bars slightly
eccentric.  Of course, a bigger problem with the steering is the notching
that I'm told happens a lot (due to road bumps, which we have a few of
in Boston).

Random