[net.cycle] New Bell Helmet

kew@cuuxb.UUCP (kew) (11/13/86)

	Has anyone seen the latest from Bell. I saw an ad for there
	new helmet RETAIL $1000.00 AMERICAN!!!
	Oh well what ever the market will BEAR

					S.W. Askew

	"Just remember the only thing you know for sure is
		you will never know for sure

kehoe@reed.UUCP (Dave Kehoe) (11/15/86)

Speaking of Kevlar (the material the $1000 Bell helmet
is made of), has anyone ever seen any Kevlar jackets or
trousars for motorcycling?  Police use Kevlar bulletproof
clothing, chefs wear Kevlar gloves when using sharp knives,
I've got Kevlar tires on my one of my bicycles -- I'd think
the stuff would be ideal for riding gear.

A Kevlar jacket could be brightly colored, or even reflectorized,
unlike leather.

Regarding quiet helmets, I think I'm going to put my fairing
back on.  My Bell Star LTD is pretty quiet, but not quiet enough,
and those foam earplugs are *too* quiet -- I feel like I'm
floating above the road, sort of like in a dream.
--
"Don't play pool, don't play softball, how do you meet anyone?"
"Oh, I, ah, meet them at meetings, murders, things like that."

MJWCU@CUNYVM.BITNET (11/17/86)

    All this talk of quite helmets has me wondering.  Am I the only
person that likes to listen to my bike when I'm riding?  (Granted, I
ride a Harley that sounds better than the typical 'japper', but that's
another argument altogether.)  I really question people that want to
block out the bikes noise, (and 'foam-rubber ear plugs? Jeeez!).  If
I were unable to hear the bike, how would I know if things weren't quite
right, that something needed to be adjusted, or that something was about to
give?  And don't try to hand me the line that only Harleys break down! I've
stopped for broken down jappers as often as for broken Harleys!

    Is it the bikes noise, or the wind noise that annoys people? (If
either bothered me, I would drive my car more often!)

Just wondering....
- Marty Walsh -
Senior systems analyst
City University of New York

'I eat my road kil'

ron@hpfcdc.UUCP (11/18/86)

> another argument altogether.)  I really question people that want to
> block out the bikes noise, (and 'foam-rubber ear plugs? Jeeez!).  If
> I were unable to hear the bike, how would I know if things weren't quite
> right, that something needed to be adjusted, or that something was about to
> give?  And don't try to hand me the line that only Harleys break down! I've

> - Marty Walsh -
> Senior systems analyst
> City University of New York

I value my hearing more than the esthetic experience of listening to the
wind noise. After about a half hour of riding on the superslab my ears
ring from the wind noise on my helmet (windshield shifts the blast to
just buffeting my helmet).  Continuous exposure to loud noise permanently
degrades hearing.

I wear earplugs while riding, flying light airplanes and even mowing the
lawn. I have done so since age 13 (I'm 30 now). My last hearing test
showed that I have "hearing like a first grader" which I attribute to
being careful about my hearing and using earplugs when appropriate.
I consider earplugs appropriate while riding.

Note also that, in my opinion, I don't lose *any* traffic awareness and
no awareness of the machine sounds. The sounds are still there, they just
aren't as overwhelming. (And they seem "different" until you get used to it.)

Ron Miller
Hewlett-Packard Co
Ft Collins Systems Div
Ft Collins Colo.

{ihnp4, hplabs}hpfcla!ron

mojo@mp-mojo.UUCP (11/18/86)

> From: MJWCU@CUNYVM.BITNET
>     All this talk of quite helmets has me wondering.  Am I the only
> person that likes to listen to my bike when I'm riding?
> - Marty Walsh -
> Senior systems analyst
> City University of New York

No!  I value the sound of my bike extremely.  I think the only kind of
noise that any of us are trying to get rid of is wind noise.

Making the total noise level quieter is an excellent way to hear your
bike better, by the way.  In amateur radio contesting it's a successful
practice to keep the volume level of the receiver down to help distinguish
between CW stations that are close in frequency, and pick the signals from
the noise.

Mojo
... Morris Jones, MicroPro Int'l Corp., Product Development
Northern Calif. Motorcycle Safety Council, MSF Instructor
{lll-crg,ptsfa,dual,well,pyramid}!micropro!mp-mojo!mojo
Not the opinion of MicroPro!

Democracy: The bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people.
					-- John Galt

fbr@utastro.UUCP (11/19/86)

In article <154MJWCU@CUNYVM>, MJWCU@CUNYVM.BITNET writes:

>     All this talk of quite helmets has me wondering.  Am I the only
> person that likes to listen to my bike when I'm riding?  (Granted, I
> ride a Harley that sounds better than the typical 'japper', but that's
> another argument altogether.)  I really question people that want to
> block out the bikes noise, (and 'foam-rubber ear plugs? Jeeez!).  If
> I were unable to hear the bike...
>
>     Is it the bikes noise, or the wind noise that annoys people? (If
> either bothered me, I would drive my car more often!)
>
> Just wondering....
> - Marty Walsh -

Some of us have installed headphones in our helmets, particularly for
touring, since the modern personal stereos are so compact.  Above
about 45 mph, the wind noise drowns out the stereo.  Every means must
be taken to insure some fidelity, and one way to do it is to use
foam plugs for one's ears, and turn the stereo volume up.  On a long
road trip, the constant wind noise can be very tiresome, and it
helps to be able to have a diversion once in awhile.  The ear plugs
don't prevent really loud sounds from getting to your ears.

--

SNAILmail:         Frank B. Ray, McDonald Observatory
                   University of Texas at Austin, 78712

alanj@orca.UUCP (11/19/86)

In article <154MJWCU@CUNYVM> MJWCU@CUNYVM.BITNET writes:
>    Is it the bikes noise, or the wind noise that annoys people? (If
>either bothered me, I would drive my car more often!)

For me, it's the wind noise, which usually drowns out the engine.  My
wind screen isn't quite high enough --- if I duck my head about two inches,
the wind noise drops to 1/4, but I get a stiff neck and back.

--

	-Alan Jeddeloh
	Tektronix GTD

web@cartan.UUCP (11/20/86)

In article <4597@reed.UUCP> kehoe@reed.UUCP (Dave Kehoe) asks:

>Speaking of Kevlar (the material the $1000 Bell helmet
>is made of), has anyone ever seen any Kevlar jackets or
>trousars for motorcycling?

I have heard that kevlar, for all its tensile strength, has
rather poor abrasion resistance.

--
William Baxter

ARPA: web@brahms.Berkeley.EDU
UUCP: {cbosgd,sun,dual,decwrl,decvax,ihnp4,hplabs,...}!ucbvax!brahms!web

jerem@tekgvs.UUCP (11/20/86)

In article <2236@orca.TEK.COM> alanj@orca.UUCP (Alan Jeddeloh) writes:
>In article <154MJWCU@CUNYVM> MJWCU@CUNYVM.BITNET writes:
>>    Is it the bikes noise, or the wind noise that annoys people?
>
>For me, it's the wind noise, which usually drowns out the engine.
>
>	-Alan Jeddeloh

	I've had helmets with wide varieties of noisiness. It's the wind
noise that dominates at speed.

	In quick jaunts, the noise is not a problem, but if you travel a bit,
the constant roar can become a problem. I can remember my first long trip
when I would ride for about eight hours. At the end of the day, my ears would
be ringing from the constant exposure to the noise. A number of years ago, a
friend told me about the little smunchie ear plugs made out of foam. I tried
them, and what a difference! I wasn't so fatigued at the end of a long riding
day. Another unexpected benefit was the 'tune-up' it gave my bike! The valves
stopped tapping. (Note humor).

	I agree with the person who did not want to insulate himself from the
rush of the wind. I too enjoy what the motorcycle uniquely supplies: a very
real, tangible feel of where you are and how you are moving. I don't want
to [.....uh-oh. I hope I don't start anything here.....]  hide behind add-ons
that separate me from the view of the pavement rushing by or shield the wind
pressure from my chest. This is the essence that I love to ride for. I like
a basic motorcycle; an aesthetic machine. I like to travel light. I just
make a small compromise and put plugs in my ears on long trips.

	It's understandable that one would not want to wear earplugs. There's
a lid to every pot.

						-Jere
---------------------------

cbz@mhuxu.UUCP (11/20/86)

> > another argument altogether.)  I really question people that want to
> > block out the bikes noise, (and 'foam-rubber ear plugs? Jeeez!).  If
> > I were unable to hear the bike, how would I know if things weren't quite
> > right, that something needed to be adjusted, or that something was about to
> > give?  And don't try to hand me the line that only Harleys break down! I've
>
> > - Marty Walsh -
> > Senior systems analyst
> > City University of New York

I've done quite a lot of long distance riding (i.e. 1000 to 2000 mile trips)
over the past ten years and I've found that when I don't have my earplugs
in I spend more time concentrating on positioning my head to reduce the wind
noise than I do enjoying the ride.  Foam earplugs reduce the wind noise to
a minimum but still allow the sounds of traffic and the awesome purr of my
Kawasaki 1100 engine to come thru just fine!

                                                     Craig Ziemer
                                                     AT&T Bell Labs

sbaldwin@tymix.UUCP (11/21/86)

>>     All this talk of quite helmets has me wondering.  Am I the only
>> person that likes to listen to my bike when I'm riding?  (Granted, I
>> ride a Harley that sounds better than the typical 'japper', but that's
>> another argument altogether.)  I really question people that want to
>> block out the bikes noise, (and 'foam-rubber ear plugs? Jeeez!).  If
>> I were unable to hear the bike...

I think the reason Harley riders need to ask about whether ear plugs are
for blocking out wind noise or machine noise is because Harleys never
go fast or far enough for ear fatigue to occur.  I have talked to several
people over the years who have claimed prodigeous riding feats on their
Harleys, but these are just religeous fanatics, like Brit-bikers.
It just seems that whenever I see a Harley off city streets it is close
to a city, in the right lane, getting passed by the majority of vehicles on the road.  Wind noise is not a problem when one only travels short distances at low speeds.

The only thing worth getting religeous about with bikes is the way they make
you feel.  Excess fatigue and permanent physical damage definitely do not feel
good to the vast majority of riders.  Getting shaken up on a noisy machine
is fun for only a short while.  That is why most bikes nowadays have
mufflers and low vibration levels.  I currently own bikes with one, two, and
four cylinders.  The shakers are fun, but don't get nearly as many miles racked up.

Here is a simple way to tell if ear plugs would be of benefit to you, or not.
Do your ears ring after a ride?  If the answer is Yes, plugs will help
preserve your hearing.  It is a well documented fact that every time the ringing in your ears goes away, some of your hearing ability goes with it.

I own a new Bell GT-2 helmet.  It is the quietest helmet I have owned yet.
I have been through more than a dozen helmets in the last 16 years.
The GT-2 has a large face opening which makes it possible to look at the
instruments without having to tilt your head down to see past the chin bar.
It also is cut lower on the forehead than my previous helmets.  This lower
forehead is better on the street, but not as good when I am road racing.
For the street it is better because I can more easily block out glare from
overhead light sources (sun, parking lot lights).  It is not so good for
road racing because The same low cut obstructs the view ahead when in full
racing tuck (head down on the tank).
--
	Rose Runner
	!hplabs!oliveb!tymix!sbaldwin

salmi@dicome.UUCP (11/23/86)

[ Lots of stuff about wind noise, engine noise, personal stereo noise, etc..
deleted here... ]

wind noise seems to be the thing that drives me nuts.  especially on a long
jaunt.  i have tried using a compact stereo/walkman type deal, but i have to
up the volume so high that anything even resembling music is replaced by
tin-can highs and high-pitched junk.

on engine noise, i depend on engine noise to tell me how my bike is feeling.
but, then, anything over 40 mph and i can't hear my 1000 v-twin yamaha
virago :-).  the only time it makes any type of warning noise is after a
few hunders miles and the oil is getting a bit thin and i can hear the
lifters.

ah, the joys of cycling....  living in minnesota, the season to ride is
over.  but, i did manage to get out for that "last ride" yesterday.  it
was about 34 degrees, and i put on my snowmobile suit/gloves, cycle boots
and fired it up.  put about 50 miles on it, and had a blast!  but, all good
things must come to an end.

i envy those of you living in 12 month/year riding climates :-(

john salmi 				arpa:	john@umn-rei-uc.ARPA
minnesota supercomputer center		uucp:	ihnp4!dicome!salmi
minneapolis, mn  55415