[net.music] How to properly deflower a Kate Bush virgin

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (07/09/85)

["So you think you can tell heaven from hell?"]

> From: blickstein@eludom.DEC (Dave Blickstein)

> Shortly after sending a note advocating limiting the Kate Bush notes, here
> I am writing a Kate Bush note.

> No, I haven't been "enlightened" and am not writing how deserving she is of
> all this discussion.  In fact, I heard a bit of "The Dreaming" and just
> wasn't impressed.

Do you mean that you didn't like it, or that you don't think it was of
high artistic calliber?

I don't remember if I've mentioned this in net.music before or not (I
don't think I have -- I tend to forget this after 2 years of
enthusiasm), but *even* *I* did not enjoy listening to "The Dreaming" at
first.  It was just too bizarre, too different, too intense -- it was
filled with so much happening at once that it caused extreme sensory
overload and it scraped nearly every raw nerve in my psycho-acoustic
processing center.

Of course all this greatly impressed me!  I didn't enjoy "The Dreaming"
at first, but anything that could affect me that powerfully had to be
very special, so I played it a lot.  I didn't start enjoying it until
probably the tenth listen, and it just got better and better every time
after that.  Soon it was by far my very favorite album.  Sometimes you
have to put up with a little discomfort at first, to get the good things
out of life.  You can't go swimming without first jumping into the cold
water!

Bill Nelson's album "Red Noise" is another album like this, but it never
got quite as good.

I'm including the entirety of the following included posting, because it
was never reached this end of the net (Yow!  Are we reliable yet?).  I
received it via personal mail:

> From: ihnp4!purdue!iuvax!marek (Marek W. Lugowski)

> /**** iuvax:net.music / iuvax!marek /  9:33 pm  Jun 22, 1985 ****/

> Thou hast been negligent, Yak-Ba D. Alan.  It is thy duty to warn the
> people of the risks of a Kate Bush overdose, not just to flame
> extravagantly on thy love of "The Dreaming".

> A Yak-Ba worth his gaffa knows that had this good man been given FIRST
> "A Kick Inside"; rested 5 days and nights (with headphones on); then
> "Lionhearted"; rested 3 more days and nights (ditto); then suffused
> with "Never For Ever"; and ONLY then, at least a day and night thence,
> permitted "The Dreaming", our community would have been brightened
> with one more blissful, permanent Kate Bush meme-transplant, not
> cursed with this pathetic dystenic reaction...

> Thou art fortunate to be considered exempt from religious malpractice
> suits.  (Cf. The U.S. Supreme Court decisions for the month of May
> 1985.)

> 			-- (El Yak-Ba) M. Lugowski,
>    			   marek@indiana.csnet

> [glossary: Yak-Ba, Yet Another Kate Bush Ayatollah; gaffa, cf. "The
> Dreaming"]

This posting did make it here:

> From: marek@iuvax.UUCP (Marek Lugowski)

> rjv's response to nessus's note "net.music.fans?" is highly
> significant:  NEVER FOR EVER EXPERIENCE THE DREAMING... IF YOU ARE NOT
> LIONHEARTED... AND IF YOU HAVEN'T RECEIVED A KICK INSIDE

> Otherwise you risk flipping out in a violent way involving visions of
> rape and PBS's "Meeting of the Minds"...  As far as I know, there is
> no treatment.

I don't agree with you Marek.  If I had been introduced to Kate Bush
through "The Kick Inside" or "Lionheart", I would not have been as
nearly impressed.  In fact, the first time I heard "The Kick Inside", I
was very disappointed because I was expecting intense progressive rock
(like "The Dreaming") and heard instead bizzare pop female vocal love
songs with uncatchy melodies.  Well, I put some effort into listening to
"The Kick Inside" because I knew it was made by a complete genius, and
soon I came to the correct realization that these were no ordinary love
songs!  If I had bought "The Kick Inside" first, though, I would have
listened to it twice and then filed it alongside my one Joni Mitchel
album and other albums that are sort of okay but nothing great, and
never listened to again, never bought "The Dreaming", and missed out the
extreme wonder of all of her music!

In fact, almost all of the Kate Bush fans that I personally know, became
Kate Bush fans because of "The Dreaming".  These people were also mostly
into progressive rock.  I suppose if someone is into mostly pop or folk
or vocal music, then they'd be more likely to be attracted by "The Kick
Inside", but all of Kate's music is pretty inaccessible at first, and
requires some effort to appreciate.

Also, I don't like to recommend Kate's first two albums "The Kick
Inside" and "Lionheart" too much, because, even though I think they are
great, they don't approach the artistic level of "The Dreaming".  They
also tend to sell a lot more than "The Dreaming", and I'm paranoid that
this fact might eventually persuade Kate to move her music back into
that direction rather than in the direction she has been recently going.
If she did, it would be a real shame.  I probably shouldn't be paranoid
about this, because in recent interviews Kate has claims that those
albums aren't really hers, because she hadn't yet been able to get
complete control over the production of the albums.  But I tend to worry
a lot.

			"Some say that heaven is hell
			 Some say that hell is heaven"

			 Doug Alan
			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

whizzo@mit-eddie.UUCP (David Hardy) (07/10/85)

[Gee, I've been deflowered and didn't even know it!]

>  FIRST  "A Kick Inside"; rested 5 days and nights... then "Lionhearted"
>  ... at least a day and night thence, permitted "The Dreaming," our
>  community would have been brightened....

Wow, this is *close* to how it happened to me.  Little did I know what was
going on at the time!   Actually, I think that if I had heard "The Dreaming"
first that I would have just given up on KB as being just another one of those
musicians that are too strange for me to enjoy.  However, since the proper
procedures were followed in performing the act mentioned above, the experiment
has been a success!

"Wave upon wave of demented avengers rush cheerfully out of obscurity
 into the dream..."

"An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a
 proposition.  It isn't just contradiction  ..................  Can be! "
                       Dave Hardy    (whizzo@mit-eddie)
ARPA:  whizzo@mit-eddie.ARPA      -or-     haadav%mitvma@mit-multics.ARPA
CSNET: haadav%mitvma.bitnet@wiscvm.csnet            BITNET: haadav@mitvma

jeand@ihlpg.UUCP (AMBAR) (07/10/85)

"[Gee, I've been deflowered and didn't even know it!]"

My apologies for swiping your line--but it was too perfect.

> >  FIRST  "A Kick Inside"; rested 5 days and nights... then "Lionhearted"
> >  ... at least a day and night thence, permitted "The Dreaming," our
> >  community would have been brightened....
>                                                 However, since the proper
> procedures were followed in performing the act mentioned above, the experiment
> has been a success!

Gee golly gosh, I must've done it upside down and backwards to boot.
I ordered THE DREAMING and NEVER FOR EVER at the same time, but only
DREAMING came in (gee...come to think of it, maybe I should go down
to the friendly local record store sometime soon and see if it's in.
It's only been two weeks.....)

Anyway, I must have done something right (that, or I was sufficiently
warned by the amount of weirdness-about-Kate-Bush posted on the net)
--I like it.

--

					AMBAR
                    	{the known universe}!ihnp4!ihlpg!jeand