[net.rec.photo] cameras with auto and FULL manual

cly (01/20/83)

Relay-Version:B 2.9+	1/11/83	cbosgd.UUCP
Posting-Version:B 2.9+	1/11/83	cbosgd.UUCP
Date:Thursday, 20-Jan-83 11:03:28 EST

While looking around for a camera that had both automatic
and FULL manual, I discovered that very few fit this bill.
A lot of nice cameras had manual, but NOT with match-needle
(or match-diode) metering! For instance, the Minolta X-700
and the Canon A1 do NOT. I narrowed it down to the Nikon FG
and Olympus OM2n and finally bought the Nikon. I'm very happy.

Carl Yaffey cbosgd!cly

hazel (01/24/83)

Concerning the following article placed here recently, I feel that
some clarification is required:

While looking around for a camera that had both automatic
and FULL manual, I discovered that very few fit this bill.
A lot of nice cameras had manual, but NOT with match-needle
(or match-diode) metering! For instance, the Minolta X-700
and the Canon A1 do NOT. I narrowed it down to the Nikon FG
and Olympus OM2n and finally bought the Nikon. I'm very happy.

Carl Yaffey cbosgd!cly

Although I could be misinterpreting Carl's idea of match-diode
metering, I feel that the Minolta X-700 has the functional
equivalent of match-needle/diode metering.

When the X-700 is used in full manual mode, as "full manual"
implies, the user sets both shutter speed and aperture.  For a given
aperture set by the user, the viewfinder displays (via LED) the
corresponding "recommended" or "metered" shutter speed.  The displayed
shutter speed is not necessarily the "taking" shutter speed--the taking
shutter speed is the one set by the user.  When the displayed speed
matches the speed set by the user, it is apparent that the exposure
chosen by the user matches the exposure calculated by the camera's
metering system.  Isn't this the essence of match-needle/diode metering?
I.e., you set shutter speed and vary aperture until a "shutter speed
match" is found (unless you don't want the recommended exposure).

I guess the point I'm making is that the X-700 DOES have a METERED
full manual mode.  (At least my X-700 does, and I'm very happy too!!)

				Dale Hazel
				...!hogpc!hazel
				201-576-3533

cly (01/26/83)

My understanding of the 700's metering system was that it
did NOT display the user-selected speed in the viewfinder - only
the suggested speed. You have to take your eye away from the viewfinder
to see what you have set. If this is true, it is not a "match-diode"
camera. For it to be, you have to be able to see BOTH in the viewfinder.
I won't argue that one can get to know their camera well enough, or
take certain kinds of pictures, etc., such that this is no
handicap. If I'm wrong about what I've said, I apologize. My info
comes from a review of the camera and from a friend who has one.
Carl Yaffey cbosgd!cly

hazel (01/27/83)

Carl Yaffey is correct concerning the fact that the Minolta X-700
displays only the recommended or metered shutter speed in the
viewfinder when set for manual operation.

However, it has been my experience that (even though my memory is
not the greatest) I can always remember the shutter speed I set just
seconds ago or that I saw when I picked up the camera.  Therefore,
the fact that the set shutter speed isn't displayed in the
viewfinder doesn't present a major problem.  (I'll concede that some
people may find this annoying.)

I still contend that this is "functionally equivalent to" and
"incorporates the essence of" match-diode metering.  From there I
guess personal preference takes over and the issue becomes somewhat
moot.  (Thanks for the discussion, Carl.)

				Dale Hazel
				201-576-3533
				...!hogpc!hazel