[net.music] "YES" or great concerts.

etl@cbscc.UUCP (Eugene T. Levine) (06/17/85)

Anyone out there into YES.  I'm interested in tour schedules,
trivia, and live recordings of shows. I have several recordings,
some of quite good quality, and would be interested in trading.
I've been into YES for years now, and have seen them live 10 times
starting in 1976 in places like Detroit, Toledo, Dayton, Cleveland,
Cincinnati, and (yekk!) Columbus.

The best concerts I have seen (not restricted to YES) have been in
Cleveland where the high energy fans make the concerts an experience
I`ll never forget. I've seen many rock concerts, and only once did
I see a group come back for a 'unplanned encore'. After playing the
usual one or two encores and having ALL of the house lights turned on,
the sold out crowd surprised even me when they did not give up and were
treated to a fifteen minute version of 'yours is no disgrace'. This was
verified later by the concert reviewer in the Cleveland paper.

YES has had many different configurations over the years, but my favorite
one consisted of Jon Anderson, Steve Howe, Rick Wakeman, Alan White, and
Chris Squire.  I prefer these gentleman and their music over the current
group and their work.

Anyone that is into YES and would like to converse about them, just let
me know - my email address is below.

				Gene Levine
				AT&T Bell Labs   860-4337
				Columbus, OH
				ihnp4!cbosgd!cbsck!cbscc!etl

Still 'Going for the One.'
6/17/85

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Arthur Pewtey) (06/19/85)

> YES has had many different configurations over the years, but my favorite
> one consisted of Jon Anderson, Steve Howe, Rick Wakeman, Alan White, and
> Chris Squire.  I prefer these gentleman and their music over the current
> group and their work. [GENE LEVINE]

I preferred the incarnation before that when they had a drummer.
--
"Wait a minute.  '*WE*' decided???   *MY* best interests????"
					Rich Rosen    ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (06/20/85)

> I preferred the incarnation before that when they had a drummer.

You're right about that; Bill Bruford was much better than Alan White.
White doesn't seem to have much dynamic control; often he sounds like
he is beating on a tin pan.  Bruford was very clean and precise, often
almost military.
--
Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer

	    Bar ol bar / Gur pbyq rgpurq cyngr /
	    Unf cevagrq gur jnez fgnef bhg.

mms1646@acf4.UUCP (Michael M. Sykora) (06/20/85)

I suspect that the Howe-Anderson-Wakeman-Squire-Bruford combo was the
most popular and, in my opinion, the most creative.  They are the one's
who did "Close to the Edge," "Fragile," "The YES Album," and "The Age
of Atlantic" (with their incredible rendition of Paul Simon's America on
it), among others.

						Mike Sykora

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) (06/22/85)

In article <1150041@acf4.UUCP> mms1646@acf4.UUCP (Michael M. Sykora) writes:

>I suspect that the Howe-Anderson-Wakeman-Squire-Bruford combo was the
>most popular and, in my opinion, the most creative.  They are the one's
>who did "Close to the Edge," "Fragile," "The YES Album," and "The Age
>of Atlantic" (with their incredible rendition of Paul Simon's America on
>it), among others.
>
>						Mike Sykora

   What was "The Age of Atlantic"?  I have "Yesterdays", which has the song
"America" on it.  However, since I've never seen the "Age of Atlantic" album,
I just assumed it was some obscure compendium of songs by Atlantic recording
artists.  You make it sound like yet another Yes album.  What is it?
   Just for the record, I feel that the current album sounds very fresh, yet
still very much Yes.  I think it as good as the above-listed albums (though
my favorite, at least every other day, is still "Relayer"), and definitely
better than anything after "Going for the One."  And I don't even want to
*think* about the infamous "Yes meets the Buggles" album.
--
 - joel "vo" plutchak
{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster

"Take what I say in a different way and it's easy to say that this is
all confusion."

todd@SCINEWS.UUCP (Todd Jones) (06/22/85)

> > YES has had many different configurations over the years, but my favorite
> > one consisted of Jon Anderson, Steve Howe, Rick Wakeman, Alan White, and
> > Chris Squire.  I prefer these gentleman and their music over the current
> > group and their work. [GENE LEVINE]
>
> I preferred the incarnation before that when they had a drummer.
> --
> "Wait a minute.  '*WE*' decided???   *MY* best interests????"
> 					Rich Rosen    ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

Oh Boy! Another Bill Bruford fan!!
Let's hear it for one the greatest percussionists ever!

derrick@ut-sally.UUCP (Derrick Hartsock) (06/24/85)

>    What was "The Age of Atlantic"?  I have "Yesterdays", which has the song
> "America" on it.  However, since I've never seen the "Age of Atlantic" album,
> I just assumed it was some obscure compendium of songs by Atlantic recording
> artists.  You make it sound like yet another Yes album.  What is it?
> --
>  - joel "vo" plutchak

Age of Atlantic was just a compilation of songs. I believe America was
done because of a request by Atlantic for a single. I'm not sure what
the flip side had on it.(Anybody know?).
--
Derrick Hartsock - CS DEept.  University of Texas at Austin
{seismo, ihnp4}!ut-sally!derrick   :    derrick@ut-sally.{ARPA, UUCP}

brandx@ihlpl.UUCP (H. D. Weisberg) (06/24/85)

I really think the line-up with Bruford was great, but my
favorite YES album is "Relayer" featuring Patrick Moraz.

It's too bad they didn't record any more with him.

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (06/24/85)

> I suspect that the Howe-Anderson-Wakeman-Squire-Bruford combo was the
> most popular and, in my opinion, the most creative.  They are the one's
> who did "Close to the Edge," "Fragile," "The YES Album," and "The Age
> of Atlantic" (with their incredible rendition of Paul Simon's America on
> it), among others.				Mike Sykora

Slight correction:  Tony Kaye played on the Yes Album, not Rick Wakeman.

I was thinking about my comment about White, and I realized something about
his place in the Topographic album.  Topographic was an album with some
interesting ideas that were not executed in the best manner.  There were
problems with the mix and with Wakeman's integration into the band that
showed in the final mix.   White was hired by Anderson because he felt
Bruford, who had just quit, didn't offer them a rhythmic anchor on solid
ground, which White, a "rock" drummer, might.  Ironically, the Topographic
might have been even more unanchored if Bruford had still been the drummer.
(Or maybe not...)

The story is that "America" was the first thing Wakeman ever recorded with Yes.
--
Like a bourbon?  (HIC!)  Drunk for the very first time...
			Rich Rosen   ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

mms1646@acf4.UUCP (Michael M. Sykora) (06/25/85)

I've been a Yes fan for many years.  In the last few years I've become a
diehard Pat Metheny fan.  It seems to me that there are similarities in
their music.  Any thoughts on this?

derrick@ut-sally.UUCP (Derrick Hartsock) (06/25/85)

> > I preferred the incarnation before that when they had a drummer.
>
> You're right about that; Bill Bruford was much better than Alan White.
> White doesn't seem to have much dynamic control; often he sounds like
> he is beating on a tin pan.  Bruford was very clean and precise, often
> almost military.
> --
> Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos

What?  I admit that Bill Bruford was a better drummer but he is a tough
act to follow. I know I wouldn't want to. Obviously you don't do your
homework. There is in existance an album- an album so incredible that
it's amazeing that it hasn't been given proper notice. It's called
"Tales from Topographic Oceans". And just guess who the drummer is.
That's right, Alan White. This is the album that has "Ritual" on it.
Not as creative? Hardly.
Also, the "Relayer" album contained Alan White also. I'm sure you've
heard of "The Gates of Delirium".

If you listen to these albums, I'm sure you'll see the light.

                                 [Nous Sommes Du Soleil]

--

simpson@lll-crg.ARPA (Rea Simpson) (06/25/85)

>   What was "The Age of Atlantic"?  I have "Yesterdays", which has the song
>"America" on it.  However, since I've never seen the "Age of Atlantic" album,
>I just assumed it was some obscure compendium of songs by Atlantic recording
>artists.  You make it sound like yet another Yes album.  What is it?
>   Just for the record, I feel that the current album sounds very fresh, yet
>still very much Yes.  I think it as good as the above-listed albums (though
>my favorite, at least every other day, is still "Relayer"), and definitely
>better than anything after "Going for the One."  And I don't even want to
>*think* about the infamous "Yes meets the Buggles" album.

I have the same question about "The Age of Atlantic" and now I have another.

What are you refering to by "Yes meets the Buggles"?  I hope I'm not being
stupid but I don't understand.

I agree that the new album is the best since "Relayer" which is also my
favorite (although "Going For The One" does have it's high points).

					Rea Simpson

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (06/25/85)

> I really think the line-up with Bruford was great, but my
> favorite YES album is "Relayer" featuring Patrick Moraz.
>
> It's too bad they didn't record any more with him.

Goes to show it's all a matter of taste.  I thought Relayer was a mishmash
attempting to integrate Yes-style (whatever that is and was) with a new
sound, namely Moraz's jazz-tinged flavorings.  I thought the clash was too
harsh, that the styles didn't meld into anything.  "Sound Chaser" sounded
to me like four or five separate compositions force-fitted together.
I always believed Moraz was very wrong for that band---though I actually
liked his previous work with Refugee.  (Do you realize that Moraz has
effectively replaced the keyboardist in three of the top-line progressive
groups of the 70s?  Emerson (Nice-->Refugee), Wakeman (Yes), Mike Pinder
(Moody Blues).  Also Moraz was not the original choice to replace Wakeman,
Vangelis Papathanassiou was, but he couldn't join because of some visa
problems.)

If you like Moraz and Bruford, they did make a record together (called
"Piano and Drum"???) which I've heard is rather good.  Note that as you
point out above, they never actually played in Yes at the same time, though
I believe they both played on Chris Squire's "Fish Out of Water".  (No,
that was Andrew Jackman on keyboards there from the Syn, my mistake.)
--

lsmith@h-sc1.UUCP (Liz Smith) (06/25/85)

> >                                                 And I don't even want to
> >*think* about the infamous "Yes meets the Buggles" album.
>

> What are you refering to by "Yes meets the Buggles"?  I hope I'm not being
> stupid but I don't understand.
>
> 					Rea Simpson

	"Yes meets the Buggles" was a bad idea that happened 5 (?) yrs.
	ago when Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman left the band to be
	succeeded by Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes, The Buggles. They did
	the tour that the former members had set up, and produced the
	album Drama. Although some of the songs from that album were OK
	in concert, (the tickets were all sold months before the change was
	announced - I wondered if it was false advertising . . .) when
	Horn tried to sing Anderson's songs it was pitiful, painful, and
	depressing.

	Liz Smith

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (06/26/85)

>    Just for the record, I feel that the current album sounds very fresh,
> yet still very much Yes.

I will agree with this regarding the sound, but I feel the current lyrics
are considerably more shallow than formerly.  Consider their briefly-popular
song from _90125_, "Owner of a Lonely Heart," compared to some of the other
songs on the same or similar subject, e.g., "To Be Over".  The latter is
a very sensitive, encouraging sort of song; on the other hand, the former
is simply trite repetition of popular self-help advice.

Musically, though, I think having a second, stronger voice helped that album
a lot.  Jon Anderson's voice has always seemed a weak point of Yes to me
(although his lyrics are very good).

I suspect the music on 90125 was in a sense a reaction to Asia, inasmuch as
Howe left the group out of dissatisfaction with the type of music Yes had
been producing.  It seems stylistically very strongly influenced by
Asia (although, fortunately, again the lyrics are much better than the very
mundane ones Asia uses), almost a demonstration of "see, we can make this
kind of music too if we really have to."

A strange thing about 90125 is that it has two of the most traditionally
melodic themes on it of any Yes album; in "Hearts," and "City of Love".
It will be interesting to see what they do next.
--
Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer
US Mail:    MS 795; Perkin-Elmer SDC;
	    2486 Sand Lake Road, Orlando, FL 32809-7642

	    "Qbpx! Qbpx!  Zl obj jrag bss juvyr V jhm pyrrava' vg!"

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (06/26/85)

> Topographic was an album with some interesting ideas that were not executed
> in the best manner. ...  Ironically, the Topographic might have been even
> more unanchored if Bruford had still been the drummer.

Could you expand on this idea a little more, Rich?  It sounds interesting.
--
Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer
US Mail:    MS 795; Perkin-Elmer SDC;
	    2486 Sand Lake Road, Orlando, FL 32809-7642

	    "Qbpx! Qbpx!  Zl obj jrag bss juvyr V jhm pyrrava' vg!"

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (06/26/85)

> "Sound Chaser" sounded to me like four or five separate compositions force-
> fitted together.

I think that was the intent.  "Sound Chaser" contained a concise statement
of Yes's overall approach to music, of the mixing of traditional forms in
almost unrecognizable ways; the "guiding lines, we touch them: our bodies
balance out the waves" notion.  As such, I think it was INTENDED as a
hyperbole, an intentional exaggeration of a set of forms not generally
considered as particularly contributing to rock music (with the exception
of the jazz, which you mentioned).

(Also I just particularly like the organ-like guitar chords on there,
which are really great stuff, independent of the rest of the song.)
--
Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer
US Mail:    MS 795; Perkin-Elmer SDC;
	    2486 Sand Lake Road, Orlando, FL 32809-7642

	    "Qbpx! Qbpx!  Zl obj jrag bss juvyr V jhm pyrrava' vg!"

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (06/26/85)

> I will agree with this regarding the sound, but I feel the current lyrics
> are considerably more shallow than formerly.

I wonder, though, if this doesn't reflect the changed philosophy expressed
in "Short Stories" over the songs that were lost during the big "I just meant
we should take some time off for awhile, not break up" breakup that preceeded
"Drama", "When I think about the silent list, drowned this summer, travel
light."  I hope not, though.
--

lip@masscomp.UUCP (John Lipinski) (06/27/85)

In article <1175@peora.UUCP> jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) writes:
>    Just for the record, I feel that the current album sounds very fresh,
> yet still very much Yes.

I disagree.  It is simpler and more commercial.  It doesn't seem to contain
as much work as many of their previous albums.

>Jon Anderson's voice has always seemed a weak point of Yes to me
>(although his lyrics are very good).

I think that you are missing a lot of their music then.  I think that most Yes
fans would agree with me that Anderson has an excellent voice and it is
finely tailored for their type of music.

>Howe left the group out of dissatisfaction with the type of music Yes had
>been producing.

How do you know that?  I seen Howe play in concert and I know most of the songs
that he has written.  They are all alligned with the style of traditional Yes -
Close to the Edge, YesSongs, ....  I don't believe that he left the group out of
"dissatisfaction with the type of music Yes had been producing."  Probably more
out of desire to make more money with commercial music.  However, I think (hope)
that he will not be able to supress his talent much longer and quit Asia soon.
Maybe he'll look up Squire, Anderson, Bruford, and Wakeman....

- John Lipinski
  {ihnp4,decvax}!masscomp!lip

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (06/27/85)

>>> I preferred the incarnation before that when they had a drummer.
>>
>>You're right about that; Bill Bruford was much better than Alan White.
>>White doesn't seem to have much dynamic control; often he sounds like
>>he is beating on a tin pan.  Bruford was very clean and precise, often
>>almost military.
>>--
>>Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos

> What?  I admit that Bill Bruford was a better drummer but he is a tough
> act to follow. I know I wouldn't want to. Obviously you don't do your
> homework. There is in existance an album- an album so incredible that
> it's amazeing that it hasn't been given proper notice. It's called
> "Tales from Topographic Oceans". And just guess who the drummer is.
> That's right, Alan White. This is the album that has "Ritual" on it.
> Not as creative? Hardly.  [HARTSOCK]

Not as creative?  Precisely!  (Just one man's opinion.)  Carl Palmer that
man is NOT, yet he felt obliged to show off as many noises and instruments
playing at once as possible.  I was (and still am) deeply unimpressed with
White's performance there and elsewhere.  However, as I mentioned in another
article, Topographic might have been an even more obtuse album (even the
members of the band were dissatisfied with the final execution in the mix)
than it was WITHOUT White acting as an anchor.  Bruford might have been
fantastic on it, but it would have been even more rambling than it was with
Bruford in it.  "The Ancient", on the other hand, showcases the whole band
very well (including White) and for me is one of the best Yes cuts of all.

> Also, the "Relayer" album contained Alan White also. I'm sure you've
> heard of "The Gates of Delirium".

Again, I am unimpressed by most of "Relayer", but more because Moraz seemed
grafted onto the band as an out-of-place appendage rather than an integrated
part of it (exception:  Soon).

> If you listen to these albums, I'm sure you'll see the light.

I hope you aren't serious in claiming that simply by listening to albums you
like, people will "see the light" and agree with your opinions.  I'm as
entitled to my opinion that White stinks and Relayer is poor as you are to
the opposite opinions.  I think that from the objective angle of actual
ability and real creativity, White doesn't hold a candle to Bruford, but that
doesn't mean his resulting music is necessarily "worse".  I've always thought
that his whole style was dead wrong for Yes.
--
Like a sturgeon (GLURG!), caught for the very first time...
			Rich Rosen   ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (SIMON) (06/27/85)

> Goes to show it's all a matter of taste.  I thought Relayer was a mishmash
> attempting to integrate Yes-style (whatever that is and was) with a new
> sound, namely Moraz's jazz-tinged flavorings.  I thought the clash was too
> harsh, that the styles didn't meld into anything.  "Sound Chaser" sounded
> to me like four or five separate compositions force-fitted together.
> I always believed Moraz was very wrong for that band---though I actually
> liked his previous work with Refugee.

It sure is a matter of taste. Moraz was/is not as flashy as Wakeman,
and I always felt he was more willing to intgrate his sound into the
tune, rather than take Wakeman's approach of integrating the tune into
his sound. Also (this is not a flame) I have always wondered how much
of Wakeman's popularity was based on those flying blond locks. I mean,
the music he has made as a leader ranges from average (HENRY VIII) to
mediocre (KING ARTHUR) to embarrassing (just about everything else)

Moraz deferred to Steve Howeas lead soloist, creating sound textures,
which supported the guitaristic and vocal flights that make up so much
of Yes. I always felt that Wakeman was trying to inject himself into
those heights as well. Bruford was able to fill in, but as has
been pointed out, White just was not as inventive. The group's
music with White and Wakeman always sounds top-heavy.

Just some opinions
Marcel Simon

PS Does anyone know Moraz's solo album, I ? Came out before GOING FOR
THE ONE. It's one of my favorites. I'd be interested to hear what others
have to say about it.

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (06/28/85)

>>Goes to show it's all a matter of taste.  I thought Relayer was a mishmash
>>attempting to integrate Yes-style (whatever that is and was) with a new
>>sound, namely Moraz's jazz-tinged flavorings.  I thought the clash was too
>>harsh, that the styles didn't meld into anything.  "Sound Chaser" sounded
>>to me like four or five separate compositions force-fitted together.
>>I always believed Moraz was very wrong for that band---though I actually
>>liked his previous work with Refugee.

> It sure is a matter of taste. Moraz was/is not as flashy as Wakeman,
> and I always felt he was more willing to intgrate his sound into the
> tune, rather than take Wakeman's approach of integrating the tune into
> his sound.

I always thought Wakeman for the most part did just that in Yes, rarely
soloing concentrating for the better part of most of the compositions on
doing the very thing he was hired for:  electronic keyboard colorizing which
Tony Kaye was too timid to do.  I consider tearing into a Chick Corea ripoff
synthesizer solo for no valid musically contextual reason (i.e., Sound Chaser)
to certainly qualify as flashy in the boldest sense.

> Also (this is not a flame) I have always wondered how much
> of Wakeman's popularity was based on those flying blond locks. I mean,
> the music he has made as a leader ranges from average (HENRY VIII) to
> mediocre (KING ARTHUR) to embarrassing (just about everything else)

Try telling that to Wakeman fans.  (I did, I'm missing a few limbs for it ---
"It's only a flesh wound")  I liked Six Wives and little else.  I agree that
stuff like "Journey", in which he misuses a symphony orchestra in a most
banal way (though I know more than a few who love it) is embarrassing.  Of
course his blond locks were part of his image.  Wakeman wasn't the Emerson a
lot of people thought he was, he was just a good keyboardist who single
handedly defined rock multi-keyboarding style:  the stacks, the purposely
placing keyboards on opposite ends of the stage to impress people as to how
far he could stretch his arms and still play, and (more importantly) the
way in which he introduced keyboard colorization as a pseudo-art form.

> Moraz deferred to Steve Howeas lead soloist, creating sound textures,
> which supported the guitaristic and vocal flights that make up so much
> of Yes. I always felt that Wakeman was trying to inject himself into
> those heights as well.

Again, I see just the opposite.

> PS Does anyone know Moraz's solo album, I ? Came out before GOING FOR
> THE ONE. It's one of my favorites. I'd be interested to hear what others
> have to say about it.

I think I sold it, or then again I may still have it.  Lyrically it certainly
was banal, instrumentally it was ... different.
--

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (06/29/85)

> > Topographic was an album with some interesting ideas that were not executed
> > in the best manner. ...  Ironically, the Topographic might have been even
> > more unanchored if Bruford had still been the drummer.
>
> Could you expand on this idea a little more, Rich?  It sounds interesting.
> --
> Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos

All I was saying was that there are interesting sections of music on the
Topographic album, including Wakeman's contributions to side two (The
Remembering), Squire's contributions to side four (Ritual---for which he
now performs an extended overly pompous and self-indulgent solo, quite the
opposite of his disciplined role in prior incarnations of the band), all
of side three (The Ancient---the best side on the album and the one that
best provides a solid continuing framework for an extended composition).
However, rarely does a whole side come together well as a "piece", an
ability that seemed to come to them and then leave them with "Close to the
Edge".  In fact, an interview with the band in about 1974 indicated that during
the Edge tour they worked so hard to perform a piece like "Edge" that they
really worked up a sweat performing it, but after Topographic and Relayer it
was like nothing.  I think it showed---I think compositionally the pieces
from Topographic on AS EXTENDED PIECES were much weaker despite moments of
good music, and that may be the reason that it was "like nothing".  After
Bruford's departure, White was deliberately chosen by Anderson BECAUSE he was
a "down to earth" hard rock drummer who could anchor the band rhythmically.
(Ask Fripp or Levin about how hard it was to get Bruford to do anything of
the sort in King Crimson mark XLII!)  The Topographic album often wanders off
into space thematically, and without White at the drums it might have been
even more unanchored than it was.
--

mms1646@acf4.UUCP (Michael M. Sykora) (06/29/85)

>/* jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) / 11:29 am  Jun 26, 1985 */

>Jon Anderson's voice has always seemed a weak point of Yes to me
>(although his lyrics are very good).

Wow, that surprises me!  I feel just about the opposite way.  Not that I
think Anderson's voice is great, just that it fits iin very well with the
rest of Yes.  I always looked at the vocals in Yes' music as primarily
just other musical instruments (like in scat singing), with the lyrics
as an afterthought.

						Mike Sykora

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (07/02/85)

> In article <1175@peora.UUCP> jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) writes:
> >    Just for the record, I feel that the current album sounds very fresh,
> > yet still very much Yes.

I said no such thing!!  That isn't even my style of writing.  However, I
did say everything else you commented on.

> I think that you are missing a lot of their music then.  I think that most
> Yes fans would agree with me that Anderson has an excellent voice and it is
> finely tailored for their type of music.

At this time, having listened to Yes for years, I tend to feel Jon Anderson's
voice goes well with the music.  However, my initial impression was
considerably opposite that, and I tend to still feel that a stronger but
otherwise equivalent voice would have been better.  Anderson's voice
just does not hold up well; in fact, at one point in _Close_to_the_Edge_
(which incidentally Anderson considered his best vocal performance) his
voice actually breaks completely, although it is drowned out by Wakeman's
loud pipe-organ playing, so that you have to listen closely for it. (I
believe it is where he sings "I get up, I get down" the last time at the
end of the cavern-scene ("In her white lace...").)

> >Howe left the group out of dissatisfaction with the type of music Yes had
> >been producing.
>
> How do you know that?  I seen Howe play in concert...

I know that very definitely!  First of all, during all the time
_Tales_From_Topographic_Oceans_ was being recorded, Howe kept complaining
that they should be producing an album of short songs. (Despite the fact
that he wrote, and did so very well, a good part of that album.)
Furthermore, however, in a recent (last year) interview Howe stated this
explicitly; that he felt that Yes had drifted more and more from the sort
of music he wanted to make, and felt they weren't allowing him to express
himself adequately from a musical standpoint.  He also commented, however,
that "maybe no one band can encompass all my music," or something along
those lines. (I still have the interview in a file somewhere, I could look
it up, but it is at home.)

> Maybe he'll look up Squire, Anderson, Bruford, and Wakeman....

I hope so; Wakeman's latest albums are not much good.  However, I think he
runs an antique car dealership now, so maybe he is too busy to perform?
--
Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer
US Mail:    MS 795; Perkin-Elmer SDC;
	    2486 Sand Lake Road, Orlando, FL 32809-7642

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (07/02/85)

> (The Ancient---the best side on the album and the one that best provides a
> solid continuing framework for an extended composition).

I think you are just being perverse!  I always thought "The Ancient" was
something they stuck on there so that they would have 4 sides to the album;
I never did understand that mess Steve Howe does with the steel guitar
through the majority of that side.  (Although "Along Without You" is
really great.)
--

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (07/03/85)

>>(The Ancient---the best side on the album and the one that best provides a
>>solid continuing framework for an extended composition). [ROSEN]

> I think you are just being perverse!  I always thought "The Ancient" was
> something they stuck on there so that they would have 4 sides to the album;
> I never did understand that mess Steve Howe does with the steel guitar
> through the majority of that side.  (Although "Along Without You" is
> really great.) [ROSKOS]

I don't know what you mean by "understanding" it, but I'm quite serious:
The Ancient, to me, was the only side of the album that worked as a single
continuous composition, harking back to the quality of "Close to the Edge"
and at times exceeding it.  It is a vastly underrated and underlistened-to
piece.  It is by far the most interesting and innovative of the four sides,
and the most exciting to listen to (though the very end of side four, *after*
the vocals end, beginning with the alternating thirds in the tritonic scale---
b minor, g minor, Db major, a minor, Eb major, b minor, F minor, C# minor,
g minor, Eb major, b minor, ending on that exquisite f# minor chord and fading
away---comes pretty close as a high point in and of itself).

As for my being perverse, well...
--

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (07/03/85)

> As for my being perverse, well...

Actually I was just giving you a hard time.  I know Howe recently claimed
in an interview in _Guitar_Player_ that he felt "The Ancient" was his best
piece.  I just hoped you would say something like ...

> the vocals end, beginning with the alternating thirds in the tritonic
> scale---b minor, g minor, Db major, a minor, Eb major, b minor, F minor, C#
> minor, g minor, Eb major, b minor, ending on that exquisite f# minor chord
> and fading away---comes pretty close as a high point in and of itself).

... which, being personally relatively ignorant of music theory, I would like
to see lots of in here!  I've never much been a fan of blissful ignorance.

That ending to Topographic Oceans is (gratefully!) one of the few really
interesting parts of that album that is actually written out in full, in
the "Yes Complete" books.  However, I think (if I remember right) that the
"Chick Corea Ripoff" you mentioned is also all in the guitar version in the
back of the "Sound Chaser" book.  For some reason, nothing much by Howe
ever appears in those though... is there anyplace one can get the, you
know, uh, sheet music for that stuff? (I know Yes supposedly never writes
it down...  I hoped someone would, though.)

> I don't know what you mean by "understanding" it ...

That's what I meant.  When one quits learning, s/he might as well give up and
go sit in a corner somewhere and waste away...
--
Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer
US Mail:    MS 795; Perkin-Elmer SDC;
	    2486 Sand Lake Road, Orlando, FL 32809-7642

	    "Cvpgherf unatvat va n unyyjnl ba gur sentzragf bs n fbat"

tp@ndm20 (07/10/85)

     I like that never-existed lineup myself. My favorite is
Relayer, but Bruford is better than White. However, I
believe the classic lineup (Squire-Howe-Wakeman-Anderson-
Bruford) WAS on both the Yes Album and Close to the edge.
I like Moraz better though. I also recommend 'I' and
'Patrick Moraz' to those who like him. The record between
those 2 (title escapes me) was disappointing. 'I' is a good
illustration that good music can survive even a bad mix.
     (Moraz recorded about 5 times as many keyboard lines as he
intended to use, wo he could pick and choose. When he joined
yes, he had to let someone else mix the album, because he
had to report for rehearsal. The engineer used ALL the keyboard
tracks, drowning out a lot of the bass and percussion. Even
so, it is a good album.)
     Moraz uses a 16-person Brazilian percussion section
on his own albums, which is very interesting with all the
synthesisers.

Terry Poot
Nathan D. Maier Consulting Engineers
(214)739-4741
Usenet: ...!{allegra|ihnp4}!convex!smu!ndm20!tp
CSNET:  ndm20!tp@smu
ARPA:   ndm20!tp%smu@csnet-relay.ARPA

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (07/10/85)

>>the vocals end, beginning with the alternating thirds in the tritonic
>>scale---b minor, g minor, Db major, a minor, Eb major, b minor, F minor, C#
>>minor, g minor, Eb major, b minor, ending on that exquisite f# minor chord
>>and fading away---comes pretty close as a high point in and of itself).
>> [ROSEN]

> ... which, being personally relatively ignorant of music theory, I would like
> to see lots of in here!  I've never much been a fan of blissful ignorance.

Since you say you'd like to see such drivelous stuff in here, let me correct
what I said above.  When I said "tritonic scale", I meant to say "whole tone
scale".  I don't know what possessed me to use the term "tritonic scale".

tp@ndm20 (07/11/85)

Howe  couldn't  have  left  for  artistic  reasons.   He joined Asia.

I guess I have an unpopular opinion, but I LOVE Drama.   That was the
album that got me  interested in  YES, as  they had  always seemed to
mellow  for  me  (what I  had heard).   Now  that I've  gone back and
listened to the rest of their music, I love  it, but  Drama is second
only to Relayer (perhaps tied with Fragile and the Yes Album).

By  the  way,  Vangelis  said  he declined  joining YES,  not that he
couldn't.