[net.rec.photo] mail order photo houses

hartley@uvm-cs.UUCP (Stephen J. Hartley) (07/15/84)

I have only used two mail order photo houses, both in New York:  Adorama and
Honest Abe's Focus.  Both delivered the ordered items within a week and I
had no problems getting what I wanted.  But the manner of the people on the
toll-free lines of both places was very gruff.  When I asked about shipping
and handling, they were reluctant to estimate even though they must know since
they ship orders all day long.  I also think that shipping and handling is their
fudge factor, where they make up some for their low advertised prices.  Six
dollars shipping and handling for ten rolls of KR135-36 seems like a lot to me.
--
"If that's true, then I'm the Pope!"		Stephen J. Hartley
USENET:	decvax!dartvax!uvm-gen!uvm-cs!hartley	The University of Vermont

del@t4test.UUCP (Del Duncan) (07/20/84)

>I have only used two mail order photo houses, both in New York:  Adorama and
>Honest Abe's Focus.  Both delivered the ordered items within a week and I
>had no problems getting what I wanted.  But the manner of the people on the
>toll-free lines of both places was very gruff.  When I asked about shipping
>and handling, they were reluctant to estimate even though they must know since
>they ship orders all day long.  I also think that shipping and handling is their
>fudge factor, where they make up some for their low advertised prices.  Six
>dollars shipping and handling for ten rolls of KR135-36 seems like a lot to me.
>--
>"If that's true, then I'm the Pope!"		Stephen J. Hartley
>USENET:	decvax!dartvax!uvm-gen!uvm-cs!hartley	The University of Vermont

I don't know about the gruffness of the sales people, but when I ordered
from Adorama, the shipping on $25 worth of material was less than $2.
I ordered by mail, and got my stuff within two weeks.